I'm about to switch recruiters, this is getting ridiculous. Trying to get the SIFT all worked out and he's had his phone off for 3 days. Called the office, and he's "out of the area for a little while." It's a really busy station, so I think I might go in search of a small one that has nothing going on and thus actually have the time to work with me.

Hopefully they will get your packet to the right place in time.

Yeah, he seems motivated enough but mentioned it would take a couple months. We meet on Tuesday, when I will impress upon him that I have my sh*t together and want to knock this out. Just wait till he sees my binder full of everything...hehehe.

So far he hasn't mentioned enlisting, which is more than I can say for my first recruiter who mentioned it in the first five minutes of our conversation.

Yes, I'm still AD. I'm not sure my experiences would help you much as I was a young E-3 when we invaded Panama:o) Things are most likely different now, or as Lindsey likes to say, I actually got a typed letter in the mail when I was accepted for WOFT.

One of our IPs started talking about his first time in Afghanistan. I asked him if he was over there with the Soviets. I was informed that he has many friends at WOCS. :)

• Like 1

Sbuzzkill - trying the Port Orchard office which already seems vastly more helpful over the phone. I assume it's the same one you used? Hopefully it's pretty slow.

I actually used the Silverdale one but if the Port Orchard guys are being helpful I'd go with them. I have no idea who is working in Silverdale or what they are like anymore since all the guys I worked with are gone now.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Lindsey...?

I just got back from meeting with my new recruiter(s). I should have done this months ago! Turns out my old recruiter really messed some stuff up in the system, and didn't input other things at all. Basically, my packet was at a complete standstill all the while I was being reassured that he was "working on it," "waiting to hear from the station commander," etc. Good God. The office that I just went to was completely empty, and both recruiters there were straightforward, professional, and excited to get to work. I was there for 3 hours doing the paperwork from scratch (since it was all f*cked up).

I am so relieved I finally found good recruiters, but really angry at myself for being strung along by the last one, because it is going to be damn near impossible to make the March board. I still have to redo MEPS (old physical expired), so they have to send up a med-read for my LASIK and wait to hear back before they can send me. Old recruiter was stringing me along "oh the med-read hasn't come back yet," "you gotta be more than 5 pounds under the weight limit before I can send you" (even though I was within limits and can easily pass tape), "station commander wants to look at your stuff," etc. Then, of course, lately, I couldn't get ahold of him at all.

Well, all I can do now is study for the SIFT and work out. Let this be a lesson for all of you: if you have any doubts about your recruiter or recruiting station, change stations. It is worth it. In hindsight, there were a lot of little red flags with the old one. My new one is an hour from my house, but, when I'm selected for WOFT, that drive is all pocket change and well worth it.

The other advice I have for all applicants is to walk into your recruiter's office with all of your sh*t together. Social Security card, Passport, Drivers License, Birth Certificate, resume, WOFT letter, LoRs (if you have them already), any and all medical documents, SF-86, test scores from another station, etc. My recruiters today were blown away by my preparedness and said that me bringing all that stuff saved about a week's worth of time (namely the med paperwork for LASIK and ear tubes when I was 2). If you demonstrate to a good recruiter that you are in this 100%, and you are willing to put forth the effort to be prepared, ready, and on-time, that makes his job much easier and a good recruiter will respond by using every asset he has to ensure that you are WOFT FQ-S.

That said, no matter how prepared you are, if your recruiter is too busy or simply doesn't care, your packet will not move forward in a timely matter if at all. Find another one.

Sorry for the rant, guys, but hopefully my experience helps someone else out. All roads for me lead to Rucker, and it doesn't matter how many speedbumps and obstacles are in the way--I will get there.

• Like 3

I was trying for March but I wasn't able to take the SIFT. Now I'm deciding on OCS or waiting for the May board.

The decission to go WOCS or OCS depends greatly on two things: Later in your career, do you want to command or to fly? We had two former O-3s in our class that reverted to CW-2 because they wanted to fly more instead of riding the desk. At least that's what I've been told by most of the rated aviators I've met here in Rucker, both O-grade and WO.

From what I understand, LTs and WO-1s fly about the same amount but once the LTs make CPT, they end up in staff or command jobs and don't get to fly nearly as much any more. Just my 2 cents.

The decission to go WOCS or OCS depends greatly on two things: Later in your career, do you want to command or to fly? We had two former O-3s in our class that reverted to CW-2 because they wanted to fly more instead of riding the desk. At least that's what I've been told by most of the rated aviators I've met here in Rucker, both O-grade and WO.

From what I understand, LTs and WO-1s fly about the same amount but once the LTs make CPT, they end up in staff or command jobs and don't get to fly nearly as much any more. Just my 2 cents.

I do want to command later in my career but I also want to fly. Having less flight hours so I can do staff duties doesn't bother me. So my two options are to go to WOCS and apply to OCS a year after checking into my first duty station or going straight to OCS and hope I branch AV. Both the WOCS and OCS routes have their pros and cons. If I go WOCS I have a guaranteed flight slot but may not get selected for OCS later. If I go OCS I’ll eventually get to command at a staff level but I’m not guaranteed a flight slot. I feel I have a better chance getting OCS after WOCS than I would getting a flight slot out of OCS.

Here’s where my dilemma is, my main goal is to get back into the military. I was around the Marine Corps from the time I was born to the time I got out. Once I got out I decided I did not like civilian life and decided I would do everything in my power to get back into the military. With the new OCS rules my recruiter thinks I’m a shoe in and I’ll be selected for OCS without a problem. Because of those rules I think the OCS slots are going to fill up fast. If I wait for the next WOFT board and I’m not selected I may not have a chance to apply for OCS. Basically I’m afraid if I wait around for WOFT my window of opportunity to get back into the military may close on me and I may never get back in.

I know I need to make this decision on my own and don’t expect anyone to make it for me. I’m just letting you know where I’m coming from.

Do you find yourself running really really slow recovery laps, not because you're that tired, but because you don't want to start another fast lap sooner?

I've been coming to a complete stop and resting for a few minutes in between my intervals. 2-3 minutes and I have a timer otherwise I will take forever to get moving again ;).

P.S. l3uller I'll get to your PMs after my shower.

I did mine earlier 9.5 run 7.5 jog on a 2.0 incline FML!!!

On the treadmill? The only thing I hate more than intervals is running intervals on a treadmill. Have you tried tabata runs? 20 seconds as fast as possible (basically) followed by 10 seconds stopped (feet on either side of the still-moving tread). The problem with this is that you find yourself trying not to heave your breakfast all over the carpet.

• Like 1