Yes. I have friends who submitted packets months out...I was right before the deadline but it does make sense when you think about it. They know their packet will be reviewed and they can always submit updates.

That's true. I suppose it just seems risky to me when you know that the board will generally be expecting to see SIFT scores.

You still have all the FQ NS active duty guys from the Jan board getting reviewed with AFAST. Plus, the board will be familiar with baseline AFAST scores. Their SIFT understanding is likely (I'm guessing) limited to PowerPoint slides. If I had a strong AFAST I wouldn't take the chance of getting a poor SIFT. Again, just my opinions and guesses.

You still have all the FQ NS active duty guys from the Jan board getting reviewed with AFAST. Plus, the board will be familiar with baseline AFAST scores. Their SIFT understanding is likely (I'm guessing) limited to PowerPoint slides. If I had a strong AFAST I wouldn't take the chance of getting a poor SIFT. Again, just my opinions and guesses.

They are considered NQ without a SIFT score as per USAREC, regardless of whether they were on Jan or not

1 OCT 12 - The Aviation Branch has developed a replacement for the Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST). The new test is the Selection Instrument for Flight Training (SIFT) which will be implemented on 1 JAN 13. In order to facilitate this transition to the SIFT, 153A (Rotary Wing Aviator) will not be selected on the first FY13 Accessions Board in NOV, but will be selected in JAN 13. Starting on 18 JAN 13, all 153A applicants will be required to have a qualifying SIFT score in their packet. If a 153A packet is determined by USAREC to be "Board Ready" prior to 18 JAN 13, the AFAST score will still be accepted. Any packet having an AFAST score after 18 JAN 13 will be returned to the applicant with the instructions to take the SIFT and resubmit their packet with a SIFT score! The SIFT is an aptitude test, therefore there will not be a study guide for it!

From the USAREC site.

As long as it was board ready prior, then they are still good. None of my friends with AFAST score packets have had them returned with special instructions. However, you should absolutely go with your guidance from USAREC. I was only talking about active duty applicants and I really don't know all the minute differences between us and civilians. Good luck.

1 OCT 12 - The Aviation Branch has developed a replacement for the Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST). The new test is the Selection Instrument for Flight Training (SIFT) which will be implemented on 1 JAN 13. In order to facilitate this transition to the SIFT, 153A (Rotary Wing Aviator) will not be selected on the first FY13 Accessions Board in NOV, but will be selected in JAN 13. Starting on 18 JAN 13, all 153A applicants will be required to have a qualifying SIFT score in their packet. If a 153A packet is determined by USAREC to be "Board Ready" prior to 18 JAN 13, the AFAST score will still be accepted. Any packet having an AFAST score after 18 JAN 13 will be returned to the applicant with the instructions to take the SIFT and resubmit their packet with a SIFT score! The SIFT is an aptitude test, therefore there will not be a study guide for it!

From the USAREC site.

As long as it was board ready prior, then they are still good. None of my friends with AFAST score packets have had them returned with special instructions. However, you should absolutely go with your guidance from USAREC. I was only talking about active duty applicants and I really don't know all the minute differences between us and civilians. Good luck.

Thanks - didn't mean to come across demeaning.

I have not taken the SIFT. My packet was submitted prior to January 18th. My packet was deemed board ready on Jan. 30th. I have not recieved any guidence to take the SIFT. USAREC says its board ready and will be reviewed by the next board considering my MOS, soooooooo, I'm thinking that they are fine with my AFAST score.

I am active duty.

Good luck to you as well! As I previously stated, my knowledge of the AD process is very limited but I exhausted my resources on the civilian side. Hope we all are happy with the results of next weeks' board.

On another note... Anyone have a rough idea of when civilians are notified of selection results?

The best part about being active duty is being able to take care of everything myself. When I was sitting in the CW5's office being interviewed, he was quite impressed that I had put together a well organized packet and that I had done literally, everything on my own. I think it should in his LOR. Good luck to you as well, longest couple of weeks ever coming up.

As far as when civ's hear I'm not sure, they tell us about ten days after the board convenes. I've heard that people found out almost a month later, and within a couple days.

The best part about being active duty is being able to take care of everything myself. When I was sitting in the CW5's office being interviewed, he was quite impressed that I had put together a well organized packet and that I had done literally, everything on my own. I think it should in his LOR. Good luck to you as well, longest couple of weeks ever coming up.

As far as when civ's hear I'm not sure, they tell us about ten days after the board convenes. I've heard that people found out almost a month later, and within a couple days.

Wow...would have never guessed a month later! None the less, I plan to post the moment I receive my results. Longest couple of weeks ever is an understatement.

On another note... Anyone have a rough idea of when civilians are notified of selection results?

On the last few boards, civvies have been notified, for the most part, within a day or two.

When I found out nobody was even tracking the civilian board. I was up snowboarding and got a call from my recruiter which I thought was related to my exception to policy. He asked if I had heard the news and I said "about my eyesight? Yeah." He said "congratulations on your eyesight and oh yeah on getting accepted to WOFT." He told me the board had convened that week. Haha, it was a good day at the mountain.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 5

Per USAREC - MARCH WOFT BOARD IS CANCELLED

8 MAR 13 - Due to sequestration budget constraints HQDA G-1 DMPM directs that we cancel the SELECTION of 153As for the WO board scheduled for 11-15 March. As of now ALL packets that are in a board ready status will be boarded in May.

Holy...

Im sorry guys, that's terrible to have jerked out from under you. I wonder how many slots they will have in May.

I feel sick.

...but that may have to do with the tabata situps I just knocked out after hearing the news.

May might be the most competitive board in years...