Its going to be an interesting time for military flying.

I don't understand why anybody would discount military flight training as an inducement to serve. It is potentially a HUGE motivator for a qualified and capable individual to consider against the disadvantages of military service. Oh yes, there are indeed drawbacks to the military, which is why it's called "serving".

Anybody who sets out to be a hero is an idiot, not to be trusted.

I don't think anyone was saying to discount flight training. A couple of people simply noted that it shouldn't be the primary motivation for entering military service and it likely won't leave you employable as a civilian pilot in the coming years.

I'll be completely happy flying for 10 years and then reverting to A&P work. I'm just concerned the budget cuts going into effect March 1st will shoot down even that plan.

I don't think anyone was saying to discount flight training. A couple of people simply noted that it shouldn't be the primary motivation for entering military service and it likely won't leave you employable as a civilian pilot in the coming years.

I'll be completely happy flying for 10 years and then reverting to A&P work. I'm just concerned the budget cuts going into effect March 1st will shoot down even that plan.

Those budget cuts may or may not go into effect....however, keep in mind that fy2013(ends oct.1 2013) will problably be uneffected because the money has already been spent for 'X' amount of flight slots to be filled this FISCAL year. I think that regardless what happens with the Sequestration, I think you would only have reason to worry if you plan on turning in your packet AFTER September going into FY2014.

I wouldn't go so far as saying you're unemployable. You just lose some options that come after the 1500 hour mark.

Right now I'm looking at getting my CFI and doing some teaching to bridge the gap. Instructing is something I've always wanted to do and with my wife in school and putting away money we are hopefully setting ourselves up to afford me teaching for a while.

The hard part right now is finding a flight school anywhere near where I live.

Edited by SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill, are you planning on getting your RW or FW CFI?

I'm considering setting aside money to save up for a CFI/CFII for no other reason than to diversify my experience and knowledge. As far as where/when I'd teach, that'd be a challenge in it of itself.