The Move to Rucker

Since we mentioned Fixed Wing slots on this thread, I figured I would throw this out there. I found out that another two guys from my WOCS class who recently finished the 60 course got slotted for FW orders. I don't know if it's going to be like this for the immediate future or longer but I thought it was interesting enough to mention.

Since we mentioned Fixed Wing slots on this thread, I figured I would throw this out there. I found out that another two guys from my WOCS class who recently finished the 60 course got slotted for FW orders. I don't know if it's going to be like this for the immediate future or longer but I thought it was interesting enough to mention.

Did they volunteer for it or were they "told" to take it?

Did they volunteer for it or were they "told" to take it?

My buddy said that "he was at the right place at the right time" indicating that he wanted it. I don't think they would force someone to take a FW slot considering there's enough who would volunteer to take it.

My buddy said that "he was at the right place at the right time" indicating that he wanted it. I don't think they would force someone to take a FW slot considering there's enough who would volunteer to take it.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm not sure many people would turn down the fixed wing slot. Whether or not you want to fly that mission, the Army is paying for you to get an MEL added to your civilian ratings. Turning it down really just shoots you in the foot, keep your options open. The way things are going now it might be nice to have that card in your back pocket in case something happens down the road for Army rotary wing.

I guess these were all the reasons I took my slot when it was offered to me.

I'm not sure many people would turn down the fixed wing slot. Whether or not you want to fly that mission, the Army is paying for you to get an MEL added to your civilian ratings. Turning it down really just shoots you in the foot, keep your options open. The way things are going now it might be nice to have that card in your back pocket in case something happens down the road for Army rotary wing.

I guess these were all the reasons I took my slot when it was offered to me.

Speaking for myself personally, I've paid for my civilian helicopter ratings and fixed-wing add-ons are not that much more. I am okay with paying for my own add-ons (and I plan to). Besides, the Post 9/11 GI Bill may cover it as well. If not, that's fine. I am a helicopter pilot, and part of my love for Army Aviation is because it is rotary-wing-centric. Let me add this caveat: if I was "forced" into a fixed-wing airframe at Rucker, I would shut up and color, and perform my mission to the best of my abilities. Needs of the Army - I completely understand. However, while the FW slots are still on a volunteer basis, I strongly prefer to fly helicopters (any of them), and the missions that go with it.

On a similar note, approximately how long do the fixed-wing rotations last? After your training, are you performing C-12 missions for a year? Three? How do you transition back in the 60/58/64/47 afterwards, or do you?

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of questions for when I make it out of lock down and will need a vehicle at Rucker. Right now I am driving a 2003 Jeep Wrangler that is lifted with big tires. Needless to say its not the ideal daily driver and its likely towards the end of its life. How logical would it be to purchase a vehicle while in flight school? That leads into my next question. My girlfriend was accepted to law school at Florida State in Tallahassee. It's about two hours away from Fort Rucker. Will it be possible for me to travel there on some weekends or will I be too busy? If so, I will definitely need another vehicle. Any information would be appreciated.

Colby

Speaking for myself personally, I've paid for my civilian helicopter ratings and fixed-wing add-ons are not that much more. I am okay with paying for my own add-ons (and I plan to). Besides, the Post 9/11 GI Bill may cover it as well. If not, that's fine. I am a helicopter pilot, and part of my love for Army Aviation is because it is rotary-wing-centric. Let me add this caveat: if I was "forced" into a fixed-wing airframe at Rucker, I would shut up and color, and perform my mission to the best of my abilities. Needs of the Army - I completely understand. However, while the FW slots are still on a volunteer basis, I strongly prefer to fly helicopters (any of them), and the missions that go with it.

On a similar note, approximately how long do the fixed-wing rotations last? After your training, are you performing C-12 missions for a year? Three? How do you transition back in the 60/58/64 afterwards, or do you?

Yep, getting ready to use GI Bill for MEL. Part 141 so 10 grand max per year. To get my rating in the DA-42 only costs about 4 grand anyway so none out of my pocket.

They used to send a lot of guys to the FW course and not get a utilization tour. Now, pretty much everyone gets utilized right after the course (active duty). Once assigned you're pretty much stuck in FW. Don't think it's a problem for most people since quality of life is better. My friend flys all over the world in UC-35s and gets pretty good per-diem to do it. I do have another friend who requested out and went back to 60s but I think he's the exception.

I think the big draw for most is a perception that FW guys are "real" pilots because they fly up in the flight levels IFR. They think it's cool to get to wear David Clarks in a pressurized cabin. In reality it's point to point flying or racetrack (RC-12) on an autopilot all day. If that's what people are going for then go after it. Here's the problem in going FW early though. If you don't get enough RW hours to get a job when you get out, you've just limited yourself to a FW only position. FW pilots are everywhere and furloughs abound. Plus you can make more starting out flying in the GoM in an S-76 or S-92 than some corporate FW job. That's another perception. The money is in FW. Unless you go to the majors right out of the Army, nope.

So while going FW gives you something different to fly and might open options for future jobs, I don't see it as the pinnacle of aviation. I think tactical RW flying is far more exciting and rewarding than Army FW. As I said before, Nat Geo isn't going to do a series on the trials and tribulations of a VIP pilot. At an air show, kids don't come running up to a C-12 and say "oh that's so cool!" No, they're crawling all over the AH-64 parked next to it saying that. :D

• Like 2

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of questions for when I make it out of lock down and will need a vehicle at Rucker. Right now I am driving a 2003 Jeep Wrangler that is lifted with big tires. Needless to say its not the ideal daily driver and its likely towards the end of its life. How logical would it be to purchase a vehicle while in flight school? That leads into my next question. My girlfriend was accepted to law school at Florida State in Tallahassee. It's about two hours away from Fort Rucker. Will it be possible for me to travel there on some weekends or will I be too busy? If so, I will definitely need another vehicle. Any information would be appreciated.

Colby

Buying a vehicle here at Rucker wouldn't be too difficult if you can afford it. The Army will pay to ship one vehicle but if you end up getting Korea or Germany you might have to think of other options.

As far as seeing your girlfriend in Tallahassee, it shouldn't be a big deal to drive there but you'll quickly find that flight school is pretty challenging academically. It depends on you as a student but most of us here get little sleep during the week and need most of the weekends to catch up on studying and doing home work. I'm assuming that Law School isn't a cake walk either so that's something you both might have to think about.

G'luck

Yeah, but the 64 course is so long that my WOCS buddies are going to graduate both the 60 and FW course by the time I finish the 64!

Lol! Yeah I got a Guard buddy in it right now. It seems like his FB posts have been going on forever. Just took his last goggle ride a few days ago though so he should be heading back to AZ soon.

Hey everyone,

Colby

It's easy to buy a car there. Just make sure to look outside the immediate area because most of the local stuff is over priced.

Tallahassee is an easy drive from Rucker. I made the trip a few times when I was in flight school for football games and once to use the airport.

Yeah driving down to Tal on the weekends wouldn't be a big deal. You can probably pack up all your books (or ipad) and take all your stuff with you to do homework and stuff on sundays. Like every IP there says to you Friday night through sunday morning are yours, from sunday morning to monday morning its DQ's, flight planning and studying. Most of the stuff came pretty easy to me so I only spent about 4-5 hours doing stuff on sunday. I also had a baby so I was trying to balance my time equally which was difficult but not impossible.

• Like 1

Yeah driving down to Tal on the weekends wouldn't be a big deal. You can probably pack up all your books (or ipad) and take all your stuff with you to do homework and stuff on sundays. Like every IP there says to you Friday night through sunday morning are yours, from sunday morning to monday morning its DQ's, flight planning and studying. Most of the stuff came pretty easy to me so I only spent about 4-5 hours doing stuff on sunday. I also had a baby so I was trying to balance my time equally which was difficult but not impossible.

Yeah I know she will have her nose in the books as much if not more than me, so my trips down there would be more of study date than anything haha. I know I will find this all out when I get down there, but I figured it would make her feel better if I could tell her I can see her from time to time. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Little trails through the woods. They made them to use what elevation there is. Some is tight in the trees, over creeks using little (1' wide) bridges, steep drops, and they're making more and more. Is fun

• Like 1