Those of you who use Ipads....enter please.

Rotortramp

I'm thinking of getting one, actually, was thinking of getting an android tablet, but where exactly do you put it?

I've seen all sorts of different mounts, but the norm seems to be to use it as a kneeboard. Does it get in the way at all? The 10.1" screen seems like it would be a lot easier to read, but obviously taking up more room and obstructing some of the controls.

Anyway, just curious to see what your set up is, and if you think its worth it for either Android or Apple.

This is the only set up I've seen in a Robinson, but its covering up the compass and kind of looks ridiculous.

• Like 3

I have a Nexus 7 and will be using it on XC's from here on out. I just bought a case and put the flap on the backside and under the clip of the kneeboard so I don't risk damaging the screen. Also allows me to put any papers I may need handy on the kneeboard in a way that allows me to just flip the tablet over so I can view them.

Whatever you get, I would highly discourage you from getting anything bigger than a 7" or iPad mini. The 10" ones take up a lot of space and can get in the way. As we all know, personal cockpit space comes at a premium... For me, the Nexus 7 is a perfect balance between size and functionality.

App Wise....

Although I haven't seen an app that is quite as in depth as ForeFlight, there are some good ones out there. Garmin makes one. It's ok. Kind of choppy when you're dragging the map around but is laid out pretty intuitively.

I've been using Avilution's AviationMaps and love it. The layout isn't quite as refined as Garmin's app, but it has things that make it better (to me), like a scribble pad to jot things down, like ATIS information. It also has areas to put ATIS info into menus (if you'd rather do that), as well as any clearances (crafte anyone?) at your departure point as well as destination. Also has a section for enroute that you can enter any info you want as well.

Both apps have 30 trial periods, I'd recommend using them and deciding for yourself.

Also, AviationMaps' developer is pretty quick to respond to any issues you have and is more than willing to accept feature requests. I emailed him on a Saturday, and he replied the next day. Which happened to be Superbowl Sunday. That was a pretty good selling point to me. Customer service sometimes lacks with those larger companies.

• Like 2

I also use the large iPad with Foreflight and love it. It's a bit large in the R44 but in the EC-130 it's acceptable. So far I haven't installed anything permanent and have been using the suction cup mount on the windshield in both aircraft. However I am starting to think that the way to go is definately an iPad Mini on a knee board. Can some of you who do this suggest a knee board mount for the mini that you like?

Get the Mini. The full sized iPad is too big for a kneeboard. I keep mine down by my left leg and the center pedestal. Get the Foreflight App and you will never go back to paper charts. You can put several types of GPS units on the ipad (take a look at Sportys) but I don't use it for any type of Navigation...... That is what the panel mounted Garmin 530w is for.

For those recommending the Apple mini and the 7" tablets in general, would you go any lower? The samsung galaxy note is 5.3", and can also be used as a phone. Too small? Understandably it won't have Foreflight, but Avilution looks pretty good, and I think there is another app called Naviator.

If you get Garmin Pilot (the iPad app name) you can get the ADS-b receiver to tie into it to get real time weather and traffic in flight. Garmin's app also has scratch pad, easy layout.. And it took the panel page from the portables and put it in the app. You can also split the main screen to bring up the panel/chart/flight plan page while having the map up. Also, one subscription will cover 2 devices, so you can use it on your phone too at no additional charge.

I would also suggest the mini.

I've seen the 5" one...I don't think I'd use that one. Smaller the screen, the harder it's going to be to read everything. Plus, the 7" is the PERFECT size for the kneeboards I imagine most of us use (size wise anyways)

Here's the kneeboard I use...

http://www.mypilotst...otstore/sep/721

For anyone who cares, the timer in the bottom left corner is called Floating Stopwatch. It's a basic timer, but it's resizable, movable and stays on top of any app that you're using. Avilution seems to only give you a timer when you're looking at an approach plate (requesting that feature).

For size comparison:

post-26323-0-95759500-1361925417_thumb.jpg

Flip it up to access any paper charts you may need:

post-26323-0-76407300-1361925432_thumb.jpg

Just to show you how it's attached to the kneeboard:

post-26323-0-58546100-1361925493_thumb.jpg

Used a full size Ipad in R44, MD500's, and the BO 105.

ForeFlight (and the Garmin) Apps are very useful.

I wouldnt opt for a smaller screen unless your in an R22, and I wouldnt put it on a kneeboard either. Set it up so you can keep your scan going. If you eyes are down on a kneeboard, your not looking at your gauges, or outside the bird.

And that's pretty much the exact moment when Murphy will come for you. You can use a kneeboard safely, no doubt. But if you dont have to "look down" and take your eyes off of everything; then you probably shouldn't.

In the R22 I tried it on the kneeboard, and with 2 x 210lb guys, it was a "no go".

In the R44, using the suction mount with a long arm, put the iPad in a position as if it were a lateral extension of the vertical panel, easy to access the functions of Foreflight while still maintaining my basic "flight sight picture".

IN the MD500, a hard mount (RAM). is used. Same Fashion, lateral extension of the vertical panel, and same benefits. On the BO105, the mount is on the front of the panel itself, with a long gimbal arm, allowing it to be angled and tilted; but ultimately "reached" by the Pilot or Copilot without having to lean forward out of the seat. Like AVbug points out, we plug ours into the bird for power (115, or 28vdc, depending on which is available), and we also have an audio-in installed so we can use the Ipad's iTunes, or pandora. All the mounts used are RAM mount pieces. and I use an Otter box on my iPad, which as its already been stated by other posters, usually requires a bit of dremel usage on the Ram mount to get it to interface securely.

Foreflight is very useful, especially on Long XC's. being able to pull up ancillary information like weather, TFR's, etc. its NICE.

We were mid flight last week when LE threw up a TFR on the coast, and it popped up on foreflight about 1 minute before we would have flown right thru it. (which was when the TFR was created). Without foreflight running, we would have blown right thru it and not even known about it until pulling ATIS on arrival to our destination.

Edited by DS_HMMR
  • Like 1

I wouldnt opt for a smaller screen unless your in an R22, and I wouldnt put it on a kneeboard either. Set it up so you can keep your scan going. If you eyes are down on a kneeboard, your not looking at your gauges, or outside the bird.

And that's pretty much the exact moment when Murphy will come for you.

What kind of mount did you use?

If you get Garmin Pilot (the iPad app name) you can get the ADS-b receiver to tie into it to get real time weather and traffic in flight. Garmin's app also has scratch pad, easy layout.. And it took the panel page from the portables and put it in the app. You can also split the main screen to bring up the panel/chart/flight plan page while having the map up. Also, one subscription will cover 2 devices, so you can use it on your phone too at no additional charge.

I would also suggest the mini.

Looking at it again with a fresh set of eyes, Garmin has tons more features than Avilution. If memory serves the initial cost only gets you so far and then you have to get a subscription for some of the extra stuff like georeferenced approach plates. I don't remember off the top of my head though...

Ok, that's a fair assessment.... but how is having it on my knee board any different than not having one at all and having to look at a sectional, approach plate or low en route chart which is... oh wait... located on my knee board...

Anyone who's been through instrument training knows to keep the scan going. You don't just stare at your approach plate while briefing it to yourself (or instructor or whoever), you look down, get a bit of info, look up and scan, then look back down. Same thing applies to VFR ops. The trick is to not fixate on any one thing.

Let's be honest here, anything that takes your focus away from what's outside or what's going on with your gauges has potential to bite you in the ass. It doesn't matter where it's placed...

I disagree with this. Put it wherever gives you the easiest use.

I use a full-size iPad with Foreflight. I prop it up on the co-pilot seat where I can see and reach it. Once you've tried Foreflight, you'll never go back to paper charts.

I like the idea of the iPad mini on a knee board. I'll probably go that route eventually.

I use the Ipad mini. It is in an otter box type case (well protected) with Foreflight. I was leaning towards Android at first due to cost. However, the battery life of the IPad is fantastic and Foreflight is an approved weather/planning source for my company and is only avilible on Apple products. Lets just say I would not trade in my Ipad mini or Foreflight for anything. No more opening paper charts, I use it for IFR flights as well.

I keep it on a kneeboard and doesn't get in the way at all. I don't use it to navigate inflight so much as to just use the charts and plates. My primary navigation is still the panel mounted 530w. I also use it when on scene (EMS) or at a hospital to do the flight planning for the next leg of my flight.

Also, if you get the Wifi only model you will need to buy an external GPS antenna. Many options out there and many are Bluetooth enabled with ADS-B and WAAS. Now, if you get the WiFi and Cellular model (no need to activate a data plan with a carrier if you don't want to) then it will have a GPS antenna in it so you won't need to buy one. Either way, you will either spend to buy a GPS antenna or spend a little extra to get the Cellular model that has it.

I am now an Apple fan.

• Like 1

Good info JD, I had heard about the GPS on the cellular model and was wondering if you had to buy the plan for it to work. Now I know exactly what I want, as soon as IRS gets their job done.

the battery life of the IPad is fantastic

Have you ever done a test of how well the battery life is? As in, fly for a period of time, screen full bright and always on with GPS running and tracking? Curious what the % loss was for a given period of time.

My Nexus 7 lost about 30% at full brightness, screen always on, GPS running and tracking after about 1.5 hours. Obviously could get more life if I didn't keep the screen on.

At night, screen on, brightness all the way down, GPS on and tracking I had a 40% drop across 3.3 ish hours. Screen brightness alone speaks volumes for battery life.

If ever in the future I need to keep it going all day, and I don't have something to plug it in to, I'll probably have to buy an external battery. I can live with that though.

I am now an Apple fan.

BOO THIS MAN!!!

I didn't read any of the above posts, my only comment is that I have the iPad mini, and it's awesome with Foreflight. I use some adhesive velcro strips to mount it on my knee pad. Spin the rotors up with 100% battery life and there's no reason it won't last you all day.

Get the WiFi+3G capable edition (you don't need to pay for a data plan) and you'll be able to see your GPS location when flying. Makes life easy!

Not to mention all the other cool apps you can get associated with flying.

I use an Ipad with Foreflight. I have an android tablet for personal use and im not much of an apple fan, but nothing beats Foreflight right now and it's not available for android. I have a big cockpit and use the full size version. A mini attached to a kneeboard would probably still be better but this is what I was issued and it works.

I use the iPad 2. Right now I don't have a "mount," but when I was training the school had a suction cup Ram brand mount... It worked really well and you could transfer between the r22 and other helicopters or even airplanes really easily. I never had it fall off either. The iPad mini looks like a good option too, I just don't want to spend the extra money since I already have the 2...