2 Days Until Sequester...

Federal Employees ARE NOT allowed to take paid leave during the furloughs. That's the point. They aren't saving any money if they still have to pay you for those days.

There will also be no retroactive pay, which has happened in the past

Correct. My brother is an air traffic controller and his leave is frozen, hours are cut (no mid shift), and one day furlough each month. Luckily his facility isn't one of these Class Ds on the chopping block to be completely eliminated. He keeps his job with about a 15 % pay cut.

Correct. My brother is an air traffic controller and his leave is frozen, hours are cut (no mid shift), and one day furlough each month. Luckily his facility isn't one of these Class Ds on the chopping block to be completely eliminated. He keeps his job with about a 15 % pay cut.

Yeah we are in the same boat, 1 day of unpaid leave every week for 22 weeks, which takes us to the end of FFY13.

Looking at losing about $5500 over the next 6 months.

Our control tower is one of the 240 on the list (FOE forbes field) of towers that might get the cut.

My tower and a few nearby ones are slated as well. We have hundreds of flight students who will now have to fly over to CGI for towered ops if we lose our tower.

And that means less time spent at Lamberts at SIK. :(

I don't quite understand how this works. The sequester does not reduce spending, so why is anyone losing pay or time because of it? The sequester only reduces the planned increase by (a mere) 2%. Is the defense budget being specifically affected in a way the rest of the budget is not?

The ironic thing is that this will lead to more wasted money since folks on hold in the bubbles are getting paid to not do much of anything. Gotta love government. Cut the "waste," and create even more.

In short, flight activity categories are the levels of proficiency that you are required to maintain. FAC1 is the highest level, with FAC3 being the lowest. Each one comes with varying requirements based on which category you are in and what aircrew training manual you are working out of.

What are FAC1 requirements?

UH-60 FAC 1 minimum requirements are 48 hrs semi-annually. You can download an Aircrew Training Manual online. It's approved for public release and has been reviewed for OPSEC purposes. Actual hours a unit flys fall under "readiness" which would be OPSEC.

UH-60 FAC 1 minimum requirements are 48 hrs semi-annually. You can download an Aircrew Training Manual online. It's approved for public release and has been reviewed for OPSEC purposes. Actual hours a unit flys fall under "readiness" which would be OPSEC.

48 hours? That just doesn't seem like it would be enough to remain completely proficient.

By no means am I an Army aviator yet, but i'm an instrument rated private pilot and if I go more than one week without flying, it takes me at least an hour to just get comfortable again the next time I do actually fly. I just couldn't imagine 48 hours every six months. Without violating OPSEC, would you say that at least for the UH-60 community, most pilots exceed that minimum requirement?

48 hours? That just doesn't seem like it would be enough to remain completely proficient.

By no means am I an Army aviator yet, but i'm an instrument rated private pilot and if I go more than one week without flying, it takes me at least an hour to just get comfortable again the next time I do actually fly. I just couldn't imagine 48 hours every six months. Without violating OPSEC, would you say that at least for the UH-60 community, most pilots exceed that minimum requirement?

I never had to use a redeployment waiver for my guys. So, yeah they almost always exceed the mins. Many factors to say how much flying you'll get. Depending unit money / optempo, OR rates, pilot population, local wx trends, local flying day restrictions, FTXs, etc. etc. You could get anywhere from mins to possibly doubling the mins. Anyway, don't worry about time in the air. That's why God made the AVCATT and 2B-38 simulator. Real flying is overrated.

You could also look at it this way. The Army Flying Hour Program historically allotted money based on a crew flying 14.5 hrs per month (ExpectMore.gov). The basis for this is the ATM but they also use the units "Crew Optempo." They use this number as a way of budgeting money for an Aviation Brigade. So you could say you're at least budgeted to fly 14.5 hrs a month. Sometimes we exceed the programmed hours, sometimes we have left over hours.

Do you have a link to that article? I guess we'll find out what the army outlook is on the March board in a few days.

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2013/03/02/department-of-the-navy-response-to-sequestration/

Section 3A.

Read everything though. This sequestration thing is a no-sh*t big deal.

My old 1SG just posted an email to his FB saying tuition assistance is suspended as of today. I can't copy it because my tablet is being uncooperative and I can't find the story anywhere else, but it looks legit. Sorry to anyone who was planning on taking advantage of this.

My old 1SG just posted an email to his FB saying tuition assistance is suspended as of today. I can't copy it because my tablet is being uncooperative and I can't find the story anywhere else, but it looks legit. Sorry to anyone who was planning on taking advantage of this.

That blows. Hopefully it's only temporary.

This is DOD wide. The Marine Corps has already ended TA. Anyone with TA approval as of last week is still good, but no new TA authorizations are being allowed until further notice.