Lotsa books, first to read?

Hey all,

So it may be a stupid question, but I ordered a lot of reading materials to knock out in the upcoming weeks.

Went with all the FAA freebies, and picked up a copy of, Cyclic and Collective, Helicopter Flying Handbook, and Principles of Helicopter Flight.

Just curious if anyone could suggest which one was an "easier" read for someone who has no knowledge on the subject. Ive seen lotsa people say this or that via amazon reviews, but I figured I would attempt to get it straight from here.

Again, if it sounds stupid, I apologize, but I figured I would ask anyways.

Thanks,

-Allen

Hey all,

So it may be a stupid question, but I ordered a lot of reading materials to knock out in the upcoming weeks.

Went with all the FAA freebies, and picked up a copy of, Cyclic and Collective, Helicopter Flying Handbook, and Principles of Helicopter Flight.

Just curious if anyone could suggest which one was an "easier" read for someone who has no knowledge on the subject. Ive seen lotsa people say this or that via amazon reviews, but I figured I would attempt to get it straight from here.

Again, if it sounds stupid, I apologize, but I figured I would ask anyways.

Thanks,

-Allen

I haven't really read over the Principles of Helicopter Flight book yet but from what I hear it's a little difficult for somebody just starting out. I can't comment on Cyclic and Collective but I will say that the Helicopter Flying Handbook is a very easy read and will guide you from step 1. Since that's the official FAA publication I would start out with that.

• Like 1

Cyclic & collective is very informative and easy to read. It helps that it is written by a pilot and there is some humor sprinkled throughout. Currently reading it myself!

I haven't really read over the Principles of Helicopter Flight book yet but from what I hear it's a little difficult for somebody just starting out. I can't comment on Cyclic and Collective but I will say that the Helicopter Flying Handbook is a very easy read and will guide you from step 1. Since that's the official FAA publication I would start out with that.

I agree..Set up a couple different piles of books. If you are starting out in your training, there are books you NEED to read and then there are books you can read for leisure. I have read Cyclic and Collective a couple of times and I keep it on my desk for reference. But I wouldn't recommend reading it if you are still studying for a written or in your PPL stages. Stick with the FAA Pubs for that stage. I say that because you will be tested on that boring FAA info. I have a couple IFR books written by high time IFR pilots. They are written as more of a "how to" based on their experiences. Also, those other books, Cyclic and Collective, Principles of Helicopter Flight have a lot of information that you dont need to clutter your brain with yet. A lot of advanced techniques and topics. For example, Principles of Helo Flight has an entire section about sling loads. If you have time to read that, you have time to be reading about VOR radials and blade flapping.

After you have at least your private rating done, then pick up something else. If you want to be a professional NFL referee, you study the formal regulations and go to a formal school. You don't read "NFL for Dummies" and then go to the interview.

Edited by Flying Pig

The aerodynamics in the FAA books are somewhat generalized. There is sufficient information there for a pilot but some aspects are not included or glossed over. You can get through training with that stuff and I would estimate there are plenty of high hour pilots out there who could care less about getting any deeper. As mentioned above, the FAA tests are based on the FAA pubs.

Other topics to look into is weather and navigation. Things like fronts, clouds, fog, dewpoint, lapse rates, and how to interpret the weather data. Nav stuff like AIRSPACE, how maps work (symbology), flight planning, AIRSPACE, true vs. magnetic, VOR and NDB, reverse sensing, airport signs and markings, papi and vasi, how do the gauges work, different types of airspeed and altitude...and airspace. This is covered in the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge as well as some of the other pubs you mentioned.

Try not to solely seek out the helicopter information. Since you have a real interest in bad ass helicopter stuff, learning that should easier than learning about clouds or other dull topics, so it will help to be familiar with the boring info as well. You will be learning a great deal of what seems like fixed wing information since the rules are written mostly with them in mind. You will eventually have some BS question on a test that makes no sense for a helicopter pilot to know, but if you know your stuff and answer it right, then you are that much better off for having learned it. So get used to that.

Thanks, I went ahead and started with Helicopter Flying Handbook, so far it seems pretty easy to comprehend, little bits of math in there that Ive forgotten about over the years, that I clearly need to knock the dust off of haha but overall Im gathering some good information.

Ill probably go ahead and knock out the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge next since it seems to be recommended as a first read.

Thanks everyone.

Handbook first. Cyclic and collective is a great read but in my opinion it'll be better for you once you have some of the basics down, or have at least read about them previously. Also a bit of flight time might help you visualize some of the things the book talks about, at least in the "Advanced" section.

I myself have Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Learning to Fly Helicopters (very easy intro read), and Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, which is a great one that even has a large amount devoted to gyroplanes if you're into that.

My only issue is that my copy of Rotorcraft Flying Handbook doesn't have the "emergency procedures chapter," but rather, the chapter before that was printed a second time in its place... that's not a BIG printing error or anything...

And nobody has said Chickenhawk yet, soo... CHICKENHAWK :D

Principles of Helo Flight has an entire section about sling loads. If you have time to read that, you have time to be reading about VOR radials and blade flapping.

That was actually the reason I got the book. One of these days I'll catch up reading through it.

I myself have Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Learning to Fly Helicopters (very easy intro read), and Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, which is a great one that even has a large amount devoted to gyroplanes if you're into that.

My only issue is that my copy of Rotorcraft Flying Handbook doesn't have the "emergency procedures chapter," but rather, the chapter before that was printed a second time in its place... that's not a BIG printing error or anything...

And nobody has said Chickenhawk yet, soo... CHICKENHAWK :D

Just be careful with some terminology and minor differences because the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook is now obsolete for helicopter pilots as it has been superseded by the Helicopter Flying Handbook.