I was just saying that I was going to make a statement in regard to civilian applicants being more qualified than AD applicants...but I'm going to keep it to myself.

Let's just say that street to seat is a privelage, not a right, keep that in mind

I see your point. And agree it is a privelage. But then again no matter what side of the line you are standing on, all opportunities are a privilege. Even the opportunity to serve.

• Like 1

If this is true, I wonder, at what point would this news would be officially released? I'm sure there are a lot of people that have a good portion of their packet together, probably don't know and may not find out until it's too late :unsure: I'm sure recruiters will be the last to find out.

• Like 1

I highly doubt they'll lose civ applicants.

indeed. If anything, i feel that they would raise requirements for everyone first. they would loose a lot of great candidates by cutting it completely. There are no guaranteed civilian flight slots for the air force is there? Only through AFROTC? What is the reasoning behind that if it's even true? Maybe to ensure that their pilots have a certain level of devotion?

indeed. If anything, i feel that they would raise requirements for everyone first. they would loose a lot of great candidates by cutting it completely. There are no guaranteed civilian flight slots for the air force is there? Only through AFROTC? What is the reasoning behind that if it's even true? Maybe to ensure that their pilots have a certain level of devotion?

I know a guy who graduated from the Air Force Academy last May that picked up a pilot slot. Last I heard about a month ago, he has yet to start training, and he has no projections as to when it might.

I wouldn't buy into unofficial rumors and I find this one hard to believe just because getting more civilian applicants has been a priority for a while, but I wouldn't dismiss it because of a belief that civilian applicants are more qualified than AD. Whether that's true or not the Army doesn't care. They want leaders first, pilots second. It would absolutely be in the Army's "personality" to decide they only want to pull from current members.

Regarding the AF and pilot training. The AF has always guaranteed an active duty pilot slot through Officer Training School (OTS). Basically street to seat. Normally twice a year, the AF will hold what is called a rated board for college graduates. The rated board selects 4 different rated positions. Pilots (45%), Combat System Officers (15%), Air Battle Managers (10%), & Remote Piloted Vehicle Pilots (30%) . Those percentages can and do adjust when required. Obviously only the Pilots slots will have you in the pilot seat. You'll know your selection prior to signing your contract and being committed in serving.

The AF produces roughly 1200 active duty pilots annually. 10 year obligation once receiving your pilot wings. For the other rated positions it's less. The AF only produces between 60-70 helo pilots yearly.

Pilot Slots awarded yearly (approx)

550 for the AF Academy graduates

500 for AF ROTC

150 for OTS

According to an Army Aviator on Reddit they are nixing street to seat after July and cutting IEWR slots from 1,400 to 800 a year.

He didn't give a source but said that's what was just put out from his BN SP was told at a senior staff course.

800 per year makes sense. That's a pre 9/11 number. Killing street to seat makes no sense at all.

If interested in the AF, check out these three sites.

1) www.wantscheck dot com

2) www.airforceots dot com

3) www.baseops dot net/forum

I would be a lot more interested in AF if I weren't about to turn 30 and didn't just submit my army warrant packet. Stupid time making me old and stuff. I was mostly just curious as to how the other branches treated civilian pilot slots.

They would be stupid to do away with street to seat. I've heard so many rumors that spawn from "they told us at the staff course" or "we were told in the advanced course" or "B Co cadre said..." it's ridiculous. What ends up happening is some CW5 or COL gives the class their opinion and it ends up getting spread around as fact.

• Like 2

Purely on a marketing standpoint, doing away with street to seat would kill recruiting. I can't even imagine how many civilians wander into a recruiting station because they were told you can be a helicopter pilot straight out of high school only to find out that they're severely unqualified. But since they're in the door and interested, recruiters swoop them up into an enlisted MOS. I imagine just the simple (albeit small) chance of being able to graduate high school and go fly multi-million dollar killing machines helps the Army get a lot of enlisted soldiers.

• Like 2