If you elect that GI Bill (MGIB Chapter 30) it draws $100 a month for 12 months. When you are ready to use you will be paid about $1600 a month. You can also convert that GI Bill to the Post 9/11 Chapter 33 GI Bill which covers your entire tuition (up to the maximum in-state tuition), gives you a housing allowance and a book stipend. If you chose not to elect the Chapter 30 you are automatically enrolled into the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

So if you prefer the Post 9/11 GI Bill you can chose not to elect the Chapter 30 and save the $1200.

• Like 1

If you elect that GI Bill (MGIB Chapter 30) it draws $100 a month for 12 months. When you are ready to use you will be paid about $1600 a month. You can also convert that GI Bill to the Post 9/11 Chapter 33 GI Bill which covers your entire tuition (up to the maximum in-state tuition), gives you a housing allowance and a book stipend. If you chose not to elect the Chapter 30 you are automatically enrolled into the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

So if you prefer the Post 9/11 GI Bill you can chose not to elect the Chapter 30 and save the $1200.

Do they really even offer the Ch 30 anymore? The Post 9/11 Bill is better in every way, no idea why they would continue offering the Ch 30.

I have to go to BCT but I'm looking forward to it. I'm a 30 y/o PS Marine going through as a Sgt, I'm anxious to see the difference between the two. I'm also hoping it will get me in better shape for OCS as I've seem to have plateaued working out on my own.

I got out of Active Service Marine Corps in 2005 and IRR ended in 2009 but when I got selected in July 2011 (also POST Warrior Transition Course), they told me that I wouldn't have to go through basic training again, and I didn't. Went straight to Fort Rucker as an E-5 and wore civvies until they could get clothing issue straightened out. I don't know if they count IRR but that was six years break in Active Duty service.

At least I don't have to go to boot camp again. :D Semper Gumby!!!!

Indeed.

I got out of Active Service Marine Corps in 2005 and IRR ended in 2009 but when I got selected in July 2011 (also POST Warrior Transition Course), they told me that I wouldn't have to go through basic training again, and I didn't. Went straight to Fort Rucker as an E-5 and wore civvies until they could get clothing issue straightened out. I don't know if they count IRR but that was six years break in Active Duty service.

Indeed.

I'm in a similar situation and I'm pretty sure the IRR time still counts. So if you're on IRR or have separated from IRR less than 3 years ago, you shouldn't have to do BCT again. I'm not entirely positive if that's the case but from what I've seen it seems like it is. I've thought about how weird it would be for me to go through basic as an E-5 with Airborne wings, a CAB, and an 82nd combat patch though...wonder how it would go.

My buddy from the Navy side of the house went through BCT. From E-6 Navy to E-5 Army. The Drill Sergeants kinda looked at him and asked "what the hell are you doing here?" They mostly left him alone unless they have to do mandatory group shenanigi. Figure it's however many weeks of paid house arrest, no sweat. WOCS isn't difficult either.

I'm in a similar situation and I'm pretty sure the IRR time still counts. So if you're on IRR or have separated from IRR less than 3 years ago, you shouldn't have to do BCT again. I'm not entirely positive if that's the case but from what I've seen it seems like it is. I've thought about how weird it would be for me to go through basic as an E-5 with Airborne wings, a CAB, and an 82nd combat patch though...wonder how it would go.

Yeah, I won't technically have a break in service. I am currently serving in the SMCR (Marine Corps Reserves). When I do get selected, I will sign the contract and then be dropped from my unit the day prior.

....That are actively contributing to the forum. People seem to come out of the woodwork after the board to say they've been selected.

Considering the amount of views this thread has I'm sure there are a few lurkers that will be on the board.

I believe there were 27 civilians boarded in January with 12 selected. I'm sure we can expect more folks on this one considering the March cancellation. Does anyone know if there was official word about whether the MAR flight slots will spill over to this board?

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I was boared for a completely unrelated thing to aviation on 16-18 Apr and HRC now says that I will have to wait an extra month for the results. There may not even be a May board and if there is the results may be postponed indefinately. It's the MFing Army. Get used to it.

Wooo! 11 Days!

• Like 1

But in all reality, if it does it does. Not much we can do other than stay positive. All of us who have been in contact with Aviation proponent branch and USAREC have positive information regarding the May WOFT board, but I entirely understand where you are coming from.

What were you boarded for in April, if I may ask? I was unaware there even was an April board.

• Like 1

Its official ladies and gentlemen.

10 Days until the board. Let us make light of ten things we've encountered during our processes.

1. Deadlines are, apparently, a pigment of imagination.

2.Battlebuddy does not refer to your recruiter. And in nearly every situation, he will sacrifice you.

3. OPSEC rules all.

4. Oh wait, OPSEC isn't an elite Specfor unit? Damn.

5. Trust your recruiter, recruiting station, and recruiting battalion on everything they say about WOFT...

then realize you will never fly a helicopter.

6. United states of the CW5....

LORs anyone?

7. I've read this forums so many times that now when I see IP I have to run to the bathroom. Lord help me when it stands for something else.

8. Discovered that I dont have the ability to grow a mustache. This will surely kill my WOFT packet.

bet Lindsey has me beat on that too.

9. The hidden secrets of life are located in Chapters 5 and 9.

10. T-Rex didn't need a reach waiver. How fair is that?! :(

All in all. Happy 10 days out all. Hope you feel the need to share ten of your own!

• Like 4

I'm on the May board.

I was told last night by my recruiter, "Remember, don't believe anything you read on the Internet about WOFT."

Ah, the irony. They've been telling me since March that the May board is the 11th.

Hey! Congrats on making the board... How do your stats look, if you don't mind me asking?