Sign in to follow this  
nightmare515

I'll answer your WOCS questions

So do we have time to go home between BCT and WOCS. If so, how long?

Negatory. Although you should get 10 days PTDY after WOCS which you can use to go home and move your stuff. As always, standard haven't-been-there-so-this-is-just-what-I've-read caveat applies.

You should get the 10days PTDY, however Bco told us that PTDY is not being authorized for those coming straight from basic. That of course could change in the future but just be aware.

Will my family be able to join me at Fort Rucker in in between BCT and WOCS or after WOCS?

If you are coming straight from basic, the short answer is no. You will not be authorized to move family and household goods between bct and wocs. If your family wants to move down on their own and on your own dime, they can do that but you will miss out on the Army paying for the move.

Here is a question I don't think has been covered: is it worth it as an E4(P), I should pin on June 1st, to harass my unit about going to WLC before I ship to WOCS, or just do the extra 2.5 weeks, or whatever it is. I've heard WLC kinda sucks so just wondering what is best, 2.5 weeks of suck or 4, what is life like for the E5s with WLC complete when WOCS kicks off? At WLC, since it is taught at Ft. Bliss, I can go home most nights.

Skip WLC.

Sounds good, still might use it to get out of a three week field exercise I have coming up:)

If we are coming in from the Civilian side of things are we to purchase our ASUs or are they issued to us? I know that we are able to keep our ACUs and boots issued at basic but the rest of what we are to buy is a bit unclear.

If we are coming in from the Civilian side of things are we to purchase our ASUs or are they issued to us? I know that we are able to keep our ACUs and boots issued at basic but the rest of what we are to buy is a bit unclear.

You are given an issue of the ASU in BCT.

The 10 day house hunting and moving is between WOCS and IERW.

The 10 day house hunting and moving is between WOCS and IERW.

You can get up to 10 days permissive TDY, but if you are street to seat, Bco will not let you use those 10 days to find a house and go back to your home to get your stuff. If you use PTDY, you have to stay within the immediate area (daleville, enterprise, dothan, ozark). if you need to go get your stuff and move it to Rucker, you will have to take leave, at least as of right now.

You can get up to 10 days permissive TDY, but if you are street to seat, Bco will not let you use those 10 days to find a house and go back to your home to get your stuff. If you use PTDY, you have to stay within the immediate area (daleville, enterprise, dothan, ozark). if you need to go get your stuff and move it to Rucker, you will have to take leave, at least as of right now.

That's bizarre. Good update though.

Permissive TDY is allowed to find/arrange housing in the local area. It is not leave authorized to leave the surrounding area. It is meant for when you already arrive with household goods in your U-haul (DITY move) or in transit/Gov't Storage (procured move). Per the regs you must stay local and if housing is already arranged the commander can't authorize it.

If you are doing the move yourself it is better to already have living arrangements since you will be paying for the rental vehicle.

• Like 1

Just take leave after WOCS, grab your stuff and move, then sign in and back out on PTDY when you get there.

At what point would one be allowed to submit a leave request? During WOCS? My wife and son are here in Oregon, and I really don't want them to have to travel cross country by themselves.

Also how much leave would I have accrued by the end of WOCS? 2.5/mo x 4mo ~ 10 days?

Yep. IIRC we put in our forms a couple weeks before graduation when the B Co cadre came to visit us.

Very Very rarely will the army ask you to purchase something that you shouldn't already have... except for knit knacks like padlocks markers little things (that add up). That being said I've had to buy things like a second Patrol Cap, a new ASU coat $180, dry cleaning for everything, my ACUs looked like crap after 3 years and a deployment so I bought new ones. All in all I think I've spent somewhere around $600 for WOCS. HOWEVER I believe I have everything!! The saying goes there are no thieves in the Army just Soldiers getting there sh*t back.

Very Very rarely will the army ask you to purchase something that you shouldn't already have... except for knit knacks like padlocks markers little things (that add up). That being said I've had to buy things like a second Patrol Cap, a new ASU coat $180, dry cleaning for everything, my ACUs looked like crap after 3 years and a deployment so I bought new ones. All in all I think I've spent somewhere around $600 for WOCS. HOWEVER I believe I have everything!! The saying goes there are no thieves in the Army just Soldiers getting there sh*t back.

Im not prior service so wasnt sure what was issued!

Everyone talks about finding housing off base. Don't they offer an option of on-base living facilities? If so, are they THAT bad that I haven't seen one person on this site mention staying there? No dorms? Or housing option at all?

Everyone talks about finding housing off base. Don't they offer an option of on-base living facilities? If so, are they THAT bad that I haven't seen one person on this site mention staying there? No dorms? Or housing option at all?

Read more ;)

Read more ;)

I just did. Answered one of my questions (although I had read that thread previously, must not have stood out). Still seems that there are a lot of people who choose off base and very few who don't.

Besides, what are you doing up this early? You west coast folks don't like to sleep?

I don't know if you guys have heard this or not but they call it the thousand dollar dot. Meaning you should plan on spending about 1000 bucks on stuff for WOCS by the time you graduate. I know it seems stupid but all the extra crap you buy really adds up. Paint pens, markers, stencils, extra uniforms, I had to buy a full set of ASU's and extra pants because I was prior service ($850 from Marlow White). Not to mention they make you purchase a bunch of crap in WOCS like coins, hats, shirts and you pay for some other stuff as well.

It's not cheap but it's worth it once you get done. I still have 2 full ziplock bags of random crap i bought for WOCS and flight school. It's not cheap, just wait until BWS when you are paying to make your maps. It's not cheap even if you do it yourself.

• Like 1