Thinking of Quitting

Barker

I think this all comes down to the life's not fair/ life is what you make it argument. For all you pilots out there that can't get jobs, are getting passed up for jobs, and have all sorts of excuses why (like "I'm not young or attractive"), ask yourself one question: Are you really as employable as you think you are?

I agree. Sounds like people have some rationalization going on.

I think some of you misunderstood CopterKeith's statement. He said that everything being equal (total time/experience) the young, good-looking kid or girl will get the job before the old guy does.

And he is absolutely correct. I've seen it happen myself.

Our culture adores youth and beauty. The music industry is already looking for the *next* Justin Bieber, and the original one isn't that far out of puberty. Same thing happens in aviation. This gives Young Ones a leg up right off the bat.

But here's the other thing: When it comes to putting up with all the unfair crap that goes on in aviation (and you old guys know what I'm talking about), kids are easier to take advantage of. Older guys tend to throw the b.s. flag early because they know it when they see it, which the Young Ones often don't. So it takes the kids longer to wise up and say, "F- this, I'm outta here!"

Trust me, CopterKeith is right.

16412_547117865306362_680445449_n_zps809

Mad Dog

I think has a grip on the problem.

16 hours in first week will boil your brain, I had a cfi like maddogs even to the extent of him saying "bad day at work you are to wound to learn anything dont fly" & I thought I was prity calm.

2\3 hours a day for first week would still be enough I would think.

Friend did PPLH in min hours over 10 days, but all ready had fixed wing ratings so no exams to think about nav, weather & radio all there from go, so flying was the only thing for him to worrey about, he lost 18 Lbs in the time, said he finished the days soaking in sweat,he was a fit 35 at the time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, it really does help. I agree that I'm probably flying too much, but I know this school has a set program to get people done so that they are ready for certain swings of the market with tours and new students. If I start to butt heads with their predetermined path, then I'm not sure how that will fair for me in the future when I complete my CFII.

To the above poster, I've actually lost 10lbs (not a good 10lbs as I'm already fairly light), in about two weeks.

I can't say I'm exactly enjoying it at the moment, but it is my dream, which leaves me at somewhat of a dissonance.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, it really does help. I agree that I'm probably flying too much, but I know this school has a set program to get people done so that they are ready for certain swings of the market with tours and new students. If I start to butt heads with their predetermined path, then I'm not sure how that will fair for me in the future when I complete my CFII.

To the above poster, I've actually lost 10lbs (not a good 10lbs as I'm already fairly light), in about two weeks.

I can't say I'm exactly enjoying it at the moment, but it is my dream, which leaves me at somewhat of a dissonance.

The only person that can decide if this is right for you, is you. If you can stick this out and you feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel, however dim, then keep on plugging. If that light goes out, time to rethink things. If it gets too bright too fast, there might be a train at the other end.

• Like 2

I agree that I'm probably flying too much, but I know this school has a set program to get people done so that they are ready for certain swings of the market with tours and new students.

In my experience…

I’ve never seen “swings of the market”. I have most certainly seen schools dal out bull-manure to separate the cash from the customer (FYI, I’m not a student or private pilot -hint)….

For a newbie full-time student, the first flight should be around 20-30 minutes. The second flight to about 45 minutes. The third, about an hour.

Beyond the fourth or fifth flight, an easy pace would be; 1 flight lesson a day, 5 days a week for approximately 1.2 to 1.5 hours’ of flight time. If this is too strenuous, then cut back on the number of days, not the flight time.

Remember, YOU are the customer and with that, in full control of YOUR training program. YOU set the pace. NOT the school. If the school insists on pushing you, then it’s time to reassess your pick in flight schools……

Edited by Spike

• 3 weeks later...

First off, where does anyone get off saying this school is lying? There are swings of the market in this industry. They are not very large, but they happen every year. Usually around springtime. Anyone who has been in this business for more than a minute knows that. Some years more pilots move up than others. This year was one of those years. The last three have been pretty dry. Predicting these swings in the market takes insider connections to major players in the industry. Some schools have these connections. They have the reputation for putting out quality pilots, and when the hiring company needs pilots, they call the school and ask if anyone is ready to move up. It happens every year at some schools. Maybe the OP is at one of those schools, and maybe he is not. But saying there are no swings in the market is false. Massive retirement predictions are where the line needs to be drawn. I think its important to differentiate between the two.