Army Reserve to Active Duty WOFT

So here is a real zinger of a situation. I was a 19D E-5 until 2009 when I got out and was automatically put on IRR for the rest of my 8 year obligation. Fast forward 4 years to now, I'm a week away from my B.S. and am trying to put in my WOFT packet. After going to the regular recruiter I was told that they can't touch me due to me still being in IRR and after some chaos I was referred to the reserve career guidance counselor. He presented my options as such:

1. Request a conditional release from the IRR at HRC.

2. Wait until December of this year when my IRR is up and then go the standard civilian route through recruiter.

3. Transfer from IRR to a Reserve unit, immediately get a conditional release from the commander, and apply to WOFT from the Reserve unit.

The first option's problem is HRC isn't known for their speediness and I could be waiting indefinitely for the conditional release as well as having no real direct involvement with getting it. While I wait I would not be able to move forward at all with my packet.

The second option is definitely not an option and is much too far away.

Option number three seemed like a definite no but after a long discussion and some research it doesn't seem like a bad path. Granted as a combat experienced 82nd Airborne 19D E-5 I grimace at the thought of being in a Reserve unit, but I would be able to begin work on my packet within a week, I wouldn't have to go through BCT again, I would get paid for drill while waiting for the board, I wouldn't have to deal with MEPS physical, I have a 24 month mobilization deferment, it would give me an opportunity to get back in the uniform mindset a bit and given the absolute worst case scenario of not being selected I can request a transfer back to IRR in 30-60 days or simply ride out the Reserve time until my service terminates in December. Plus it's an Army boat unit...who knew the Army had boats? The main concern I have is that the conditional release from the commander is not a guarantee, however, after speaking with the Reserve counselor extensively I am fairly confident it will not be an issue and if it is I can get back to IRR status in 30-60 days.

My main question is if anyone sees anything glaringly wrong with this path among the choices and if there are any differences between the Reserve and Civilian packets or tracks through WOFT selection. To my knowledge it is exactly the same as the civilian path. I've emailed the West Coast USAREC WOFT POC and am looking forward to what he says but I deeply value the experience and knowledge here and am open to anything anyone has to offer. If anyone has had a similar experience applying to WOFT through Reserve or has any input at all I would appreciate it. Thanks for the endless help as always.

-Ryan

Plus it's an Army boat unit...who knew the Army had boats?

Army boats

Army boats

ARMY BOATS

The British...on an Army (?) boat, therefore Army Boats.

US Army...on a boat, therefore Army Boats.

Ok, seriously--Army boats (naturally, this is the one that won't embed).

God dammit Lindsey. Here I am trying to get some serious counsel on my future and you post T-Pain. I hate you. But really :lol:

Hey, you've been getting serious counsel from me all day! Actually, while having been initially extremely wary of your Option #3, I must say that it does seem like an incredibly...pleasant way to go about it. I mean, you get paid, you get healthcare, etc while awaiting a WOFT board? Not too shabby. It seems like one of those action-movie-plots that's so crazy it might actually work. Give HRC a call tomorrow and see what the turnaround is on an IRR conditional release and go from there.

Plus, you did say...

any input at all

:lol:

• Like 1

Ryan, email sent...

Lindsey, we'll see who's laughing when you have to get a waiver because you can only bear crawl up the cabin door of a 47 like an under-sized toddler on a jungle gym... :o)

Mike-

In Lindsey's defense, that is why god created a cargo ramp. :D

• Like 1

In Lindsey's defense, that is why god created a cargo ramp. :D

I hope that her FE would insist on her not being allowed to use the cargo ramp purely out of comedic value. :)

We have 2 really short pilots in my unit, both of their first flights involved opening their door to find a baby seat strapped into their pilot seat when they went to put their flight gear in.

That's just how we roll in the army, exploit any difference lol.

• Like 1

I love you guys :lol: :lol:

Ryan, email sent...

Lindsey, we'll see who's laughing when you have to get a waiver because you can only bear crawl up the cabin door of a 47 like an under-sized toddler on a jungle gym... :o)

Mike-

Mike, I hope you're not getting any ideas from this thread (damn it, electron_si) when we go to do my reach waiver!

I love how comedy seems to find every thread. I can only imagine the antics that would take place if/when a bunch of us find ourselves in training together. Years of pranks unleashed.

Let us hope so! We probably have more games than Milton Bradley.

• Like 1

That's a big part of Army Aviation, if you can't take being messed with you're not in the right branch. As the WOJG commander in my unit i wear a replica WW2 helmet, with a 2 1/2" rotating blue light on the top as my head gear in leiu of a PC, it has "WOJC CDR" written in glitter paint on the back of it. It was formally given to me at a WOJG change of command ceremony and I will hold the position until I make CW2 and pass it on to the next WO1.

Yes I get laughed at by most everyone, but it's also a right of passage and a responsibility to show that you have what it takes to be in the company. As with everything else, take your humiliation be humble and when you've provednyourself you will be accepted like everyone else.

• Like 1

That's a big part of Army Aviation, if you can't take being messed with you're not in the right branch. As the WOJG commander in my unit i wear a replica WW2 helmet, with a 2 1/2" rotating blue light on the top as my head gear in leiu of a PC, it has "WOJC CDR" written in glitter paint on the back of it. It was formally given to me at a WOJG change of command ceremony and I will hold the position until I make CW2 and pass it on to the next WO1.

Yes I get laughed at by most everyone, but it's also a right of passage and a responsibility to show that you have what it takes to be in the company. As with everything else, take your humiliation be humble and when you've provednyourself you will be accepted like everyone else.

That . . . is . . . awesome! We have something similar. The junior SNCO, upon promotion takes charge over our squadron mascot. It is a decoy Goose (we are the Wild Geese). He/she must ensure that the Goose is present at all Squadron functions in the proper uniform (Yes this goose has custom Dress Blues, Service Uniforms and Cammies). Repercussions are "severe" if the Goose is ever lost or stolen.

Military Aviation is no place for a thin skin. Constructive, honest and brutal criticism is a crucial part of our job.

• Like 1

That . . . is . . . awesome! We have something similar. The junior SNCO, upon promotion takes charge over our squadron mascot. It is a decoy Goose (we are the Wild Geese). He/she must ensure that the Goose is present at all Squadron functions in the proper uniform (Yes this goose has custom Dress Blues, Service Uniforms and Cammies). Repercussions are "severe" if the Goose is ever lost or stolen.

Military Aviation is no place for a thin skin. Constructive, honest and brutal criticism is a crucial part of our job.

Yep, basically same deal. It's all a part of becoming a member of the team. When I was first promoted into the flight company as an E-5 I was the scarecrow in the wizard of oz play that was put on by the new flight company members. It was directed by the WOJG commander and lots of beer was involved. Our BN CO even showed up to watch the performance. It's floating around on Youtube somewhere still I think.

• Like 1

During airborne school the first student out the door on our first jump had to wear an old Kevlar painted red with a cherry stem on top. Was laughing so hard watching him jump out and the stem flap all over the place in the wind.

• Like 1