for those going to bct soon

I have been actively pursuing WOFT since April 2012, package submitted and board-ready in Oct 2012, selected Nov 2012 and finally ship in May 2013. That should give some of you just starting a rough idea on how persistent you have to be. Almost 14 months on this emotional rollercoaster. I think this is a way the Army preps you for what is coming.

I think my experience is average, nothing in comparison to Lindsey's though. She's the epitome of all things Army WOFT. ;-)

Most WOFT applicants probably have some form of mental disease either before or because of the application process.

• Like 4

Alright, shipping to Ft Benning in 1 week, and trying to get everything together. I've heard different things from different people about what to bring. Some say make sure to bring a bunch of socks, underwear, locks, sharpies, running shoes, shaving razors and shaving cream, shower shoes, etc. Some say just the clothes on your back and a wallet? Any insight?

I am at Benning and have a bunch of buddies that are Drill Sergeants. Don't bother buying anything for BCT. While you are at AG (in processing) they will walk you to a military clothing annex and you will be forced to buy shoes, hygiene equip, and some other things. The amount will come out of your first check so don't spend your money beforehand.

• Like 1

Perfect. That is what I was hoping. What about getting through the first couple days before they take you to the PX? Will I not have to shave? Or do you go there pretty much right away?

Also, what about the extra stuff that people have told me is good to have like combo locks, sharpies, moleskin. I assume I can just buy that there as well?

And one last question. Will I get to wear a watch?

Edited by 01CelicaGTS

I was at the px on day three of reception. take enough to get you by for at least the first week. which if you do it right will be the flight size of stuff plus a bar of body soap and a wash cloth. yes you will have to shave. during reception they make you buy the stuff they have there. sharpies, and locks are included in that. the reception px has nice razors too. fusions and mach 5's and disposables, whatever you like. I took locks with me that were key locks and wasn't allowed to use them and had to buy the rotating ones so everyone is uniform. moleskin is usually readily avail to you either through your ds or at the px. most important thing about that is when you go to uniform issue, don't let the cranky angry black ladies in there make you take what they give you. if your boots don't fit PERFECTLY, don't settle for them get a size that fits you. they are going to hate you and try to make you take what they size you for. tell them you need one size wider or smaller or whatever. I made it through all of basic without a single blister because I did this. TAKE STAMPS and a notebook for letter writing. stamps are the first thing to sell out at the px, specially at reception px. once you get to your company, the px wil stock a TON more stuff but reception is the WORST PART OF BASIC, physically draining, mentally retardedness. seriously. basic was a breeze after enduring a week of reception.

you can wear and bring your own watch, however, I suggest it being a cloth strap, crappy sh*t watch. it's gonna get nasty dirty, scratched and possibly ruined. if it's worth more than 20$ then leave yours at home and buy one from reception px like I did. I recommend wearing one though cause that's the only sense of anything you have. no phone, no link to the outside world at all. all you have fun doing is monitoring what time it is and how long it takes you to do something, anything. have your family bring all your nice stuff to you at graduation so you have it for rucker or wherever youre going after that but I wouldn't take it to basic with you.

The way Benning did all that stuff when I was there, was to issue you a $300 eagle cash card that was recouped from your first check. The card was then used to purchase all hygiene items. Pretty sure that is what Gzilla was referring too. For my class, if you had shoes that where brand new they did not make you buy them, since I have weird feet, I just to.d them they were, and it was fine. If you can think of a place bad enough to make you want to go on to basic, then that is 30 AG at Benning.

• 2 weeks later...

You can do things before you ship to make E2, but as stated, you'll get E5 pay 2.5 months later at WOCS, then WO1 pay another two months after that. Being a 09W doesn't determine rank in BCT, or entry I should say.

• Like 1