WOFT vs. ARNG Aviation

I disagree. He has nothing to lose by applying now. If he's twice non-select then he only has to wait 6 months to reapply and get 2 more chances. It's not like you only get 2 chances for your entire life.

And I think you can re-apply before 6 months if you improve your packet significantly, like getting a degree, right?

• 3 weeks later...

OP, if you want to fly, go to work for your dad or another civilian company. You will not get as many hours as you would like in the Army, unless you are deployed. As far as college goes, it is not a requirement and there are a lot of warrants without a degree. A degree is always nice to fall back on because the Army will retire you eventually and you have to find something else to do. Are you at USC? I'm in the SCNG and could show you around, let you speak with people if you want.

Helobuss, other than just being selected for WOFT as a civilian, I'm pretty new to all this, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I did NROTC and got my minor in naval science but did not commission. My school had all 3 branches of ROTC and I had some buddies in Army ROTC so I feel like I know where you're at. There are a couple of things that make me think applying for WOFT would be a good choice for you.

First, from what you've said, you have access to some great LORs. Your ROTC OPs guy should be able to get you in contact with several WOs who'd probably be willing to help you out. Then you have your ROTC unit as well. Being the cadet of the month/year I'd imagine your PMS (O-5?) would be more than willing to write you an LOR that could explain your great reasoning (wanting to fly as much as you can) for pursuing WOFT when you're already in ROTC.

Second, as Lindsey pointed out, you can always reapply later and the worst case you're looking at is them saying no, and you having learnt more about the opportunities available to you. I know I've learned a lot about all of this over the last few months.

In all honesty, other than not having a degree yet, overall your packet would look better than mine did and I managed to get selected. With the stats you've listed: 3.45 GPA, 285 APFT, ROTC with the same service as WOFT (Army), flight experience, and if you get selected, leaving ROTC with nicer reasoning than I did....I'd say you've got a lot to gain from applying and not much to lose.

• 2 weeks later...

How long would flight school be for a guard guy to fly blackhawks? I am a Capt trying to get a slot in the guard, so I will go right to flight school if selected. I know the times fluctuate, but I was trying to get a rough idea. Ive found some info on active duty guys, but I know guard guys at least in the Air Guard show up right when their class starts, avoiding the sitting around for months waiting to start. I am guessing the Army Guard is the same way.

How long would flight school be for a guard guy to fly blackhawks? I am a Capt trying to get a slot in the guard, so I will go right to flight school if selected. I know the times fluctuate, but I was trying to get a rough idea. Ive found some info on active duty guys, but I know guard guys at least in the Air Guard show up right when their class starts, avoiding the sitting around for months waiting to start. I am guessing the Army Guard is the same way.

Guard guys have priority in the pipeline. Apparently since the state is paying for it and it's blocked for so many days , you have to graduate on time. You're like a foreign student. They want you in and out ASAP. The training manager at Lowe used to always stick NG guys in my class at the last minute and bump active. I'd then have to jump through hoops to get their records straight and IP assigned. For 60s you can plan on about a year at Rucker.

Edited by Velocity173

Guard guys have priority in the pipeline. Apparently since the state is paying for it and it's blocked for so many days , you have to graduate on time. You're like a foreign student. They want you in and out ASAP. The training manager at Lowe used to always stick NG guys in my class at the last minute and bump active. I'd then have to jump through hoops to get their records straight and IP assigned. For 60s you can plan on about a year at Rucker.

is the year time frame the same for 2lt? I'm guard and going to Rucker when I commission

is the year time frame the same for 2lt? I'm guard and going to Rucker when I commission

Yeah it is the same time frame. You will show up a few days before your OBC start date and jump right into training, it's not like the warrant officer process because we go through WOCS and then wait for a WOBC date for months.

Also, what state are you from? Did you mean to say you don't have 58's or 47's