Will an active Army WO pilot please confirm this...

Was talking to a friend who is a CW2 Apache pilot, he told me that pilots in his unit are averaging 5.2 flight hours per month because of sequestration and he emphasized that this is now the norm across all Army aviation units regardless of airframe with the only exception being units who are deployed or are in the process of predeployment training. Is this totally accurate? Is it really like this for the other airframes as well? Obviously units that are deploying or deployed, or the 160th, are not subject to these very low number of hours. I am seeking first hand information from active WO pilots only.

I won't confirm this since I retired last year but I will say if it's true they'd have to have a waiver for not meeting ATP hour minimums. Not that it's impossible because all it takes is the BDE CDR issuing a blanket waiver for all ATP requirements due to sequestration constraints.

Is this the norm for the Apache community then? Is it because Apaches are so expensive to operate that they are the first to get their hours cut?

Yes and no. There are just too many variables, some of which are your unit, where you are located, and what your current mission is, i.e. deploying, returning, somewhere in between. Apaches quite often fly less than say a Kiowa though, and operational cost is a factor.

Five hours per month would be awfully low for any FAC1 aviator (average line pilot) flying any airframe. 200 hours per year is not a bad average for an at home unit. That does not account for certain tracks that fly more than others.

You can't really look at a couple months and say that is the new trend. Our hours were cut back until they figured out the budget and now we're flying just as much as before. I imagine your friend is going through something similar. By the time you guys get through flight school and to a unit it will stabilize a bit and probably be back to making minimums.

I don't know why you limited this to Active Warrants because NG/AR have to maintain the same minimums as AD, and funding for flight hours comes from federal funding.

As for flight hours I haven't heard of anyone's getting cut between our unit or the 64 NG unit out of whiteman.

I have 2 buddies in Colorado in the 60 unit at Carson and they haven't said anything about it, my brother is a hooker CE at Ft hood for 1 CAV and he hasn't said anything about it either.