OH-58F takes flight

How do they go about saying it's the most successful helicopter program in the history of the Army? It hasn't done a damn thing! I like the aircraft but please, it's limited in what it can do. Can't do much of an air assault with it. No real room for MEDEVAC in the way we use it in the Army. It can sling load maybe a cow. It doesn't pack the punch or the flight performance of a block III Apache. So basically you have a decent VIP platform or possibly a OH platform. 58s cost 3 times as much to operate??? You gotta be kidding me..

• Like 1

How do they go about saying it's the most successful helicopter program in the history of the Army? It hasn't done a damn thing! I like the aircraft but please, it's limited in what it can do. Can't do much of an air assault with it. No real room for MEDEVAC in the way we use it in the Army. It can sling load maybe a cow. It doesn't pack the punch or the flight performance of a block III Apache. So basically you have a decent VIP platform or possibly a OH platform. 58s cost 3 times as much to operate??? You gotta be kidding me..

When they say "most successful" i think they mean the actual Delivery Program itself. The army asked for so many 72's and set delivery gates and EADS met all of them. I think that is what they are referring to.

Compared to the E model apache with its xmsn problems I don't think it was much of a competition with other army platform delivery.