July 2013 Civilian WOFT Board

Let's try this again.

ASVAB: 79 AFQT, 124 GT
SIFT: 70
APFT: TBD
College: BA from University of Virginia, 3.27 GPA

Military Experience: 14 years in Marine Corps Reserves as a CH-46E Mechanic, Crewchief and Aerial Gunner/Observer. Current rank of SSgt.
Flight Time: CH-46E, 710 hours (227 Combat Hours)
LoRs: HMM CO (Marine LtCol Aviator), Marine CWO2 (Former Crewchief), Army CW4 Aviator, DoD Senior Executive Service, Army LTC, USAF Col Aviator
Other: Extensive Leadership experience in combat aviation setting. Proficient in Aviation Combat Assualt support. 200+ NVG hours. Awarded Combat Aircrew Wings and Air Medal with Strike/Flight Numeral 4.

• Like 1

Part 2 of flight physical this Thursday (9May). Hoping no waivers are required. Was told on part 1 that I may need a waiver for my leg plate (already have a waiver from the Marine Corps) and possibly for my PRK (already have a waiver from the Navy/Marine Corps) Otherwise, this process is going to get even longer.

Well, just completed Part 2 of the Flight Physical. Good news . . . my NAMI (Naval Aviation Medical Institute) waiver for my PRK is being accepted by the Army. The bad news . . . I need an ortho consult for the plate in my leg from when I was 16 yo and was waivered by the Marine Corps when I joined 14 years ago. Tentative consult date of 21 May + 3-4 weeks to process waiver and physical = little to no shot on the July board. Semper Gumby and gonna keep pushing.

Well, just completed Part 2 of the Flight Physical. Good news . . . my NAMI (Naval Aviation Medical Institute) waiver for my PRK is being accepted by the Army. The bad news . . . I need an ortho consult for the plate in my leg from when I was 16 yo and was waivered by the Marine Corps when I joined 14 years ago. Tentative consult date of 21 May + 3-4 weeks to process waiver and physical = little to no shot on the July board. Semper Gumby and gonna keep pushing.

Not to get your hopes up, but your flight physical may not take 3-4 weeks even with a waiver. I just got off the phone with Rucker regarding mine. Phys was sent to Rucker last Thursday, and Mr. Garcia confirmed Rucker has it, it's being processed, and even with my two waivers (LASIK and arm reach) it should be done by Monday or Tuesday morning. So about a week and a half if indeed it does come back by then (not keeping my hopes up, but it is possible). Obviously every situation is different, but you may not be doomed for July!

• Like 3

Lindsey is right, If all goes according to plan you should be good to go for July. Just make sure you close all other gaps, PT, sift, etc

Not to get your hopes up, but your flight physical may not take 3-4 weeks even with a waiver. I just got off the phone with Rucker regarding mine. Phys was sent to Rucker last Thursday, and Mr. Garcia confirmed Rucker has it, it's being processed, and even with my two waivers (LASIK and arm reach) it should be done by Monday or Tuesday morning. So about a week and a half if indeed it does come back by then (not keeping my hopes up, but it is possible). Obviously every situation is different, but you may not be doomed for July!

• Like 1

Shopping around for orthopedists who can see me next week for a consult about my leg plate. And . . . running a trail half-marathon tomorrow. Absolutely surreal.

• Like 1

Lindsey is right, If all goes according to plan you should be good to go for July. Just make sure you close all other gaps, PT, sift, etc

Flight Physical and PFT are the only things left before I do the boards. Thanks for the support guys. It gives me hope.

• Like 1

I've hit another speed bump in mine process of trying to complete my MEPS physical. Now I have to transfer to a different MEPS station (from Ft. Lee to Baltimore... where I went in out of high school). This should add another 2 weeks to it all. Like Phrog all I need is to finish these physicals as the PFT. Hoping Lindsey's good news is right and I can still make it. If not.... PLEASE let them board 153s in Sept.

I've hit another speed bump in mine process of trying to complete my MEPS physical. Now I have to transfer to a different MEPS station (from Ft. Lee to Baltimore... where I went in out of high school). This should add another 2 weeks to it all. Like Phrog all I need is to finish these physicals as the PFT. Hoping Lindsey's good news is right and I can still make it. If not.... PLEASE let them board 153s in Sept.

That shouldnt be an issue. I'd call the MEPS in Baltimore and explain your situation. Ask them what the process is. Call ft. Lee and do the same to insure they are both on the same page. Finally call your recruiter and tell him what you heard. What way all 3 are in the loop. Get names and write down details.

I was on a business trip and had to take the SIFT in another state. They transferred my docs up there in a matter of days, took the test and they sent it back to my original MEPS. All on one week.

Shopping around for orthopedists who can see me next week for a consult about my leg plate. And . . . running a trail half-marathon tomorrow. Absolutely surreal.

I'm in the same boat. Had a rod and screws in my femur and a couple screws in my collar bone, all removed last year, waiting on the med read right now and fully expecting to have to do a consult. Still waiting on initial med read (almost 3 weeks now) so I'm getting less and less confident on making the July board. Keep us updated on your progress, I have a very vested interest.

That shouldnt be an issue. I'd call the MEPS in Baltimore and explain your situation. Ask them what the process is. Call ft. Lee and do the same to insure they are both on the same page. Finally call your recruiter and tell him what you heard. What way all 3 are in the loop. Get names and write down details.

I was on a business trip and had to take the SIFT in another state. They transferred my docs up there in a matter of days, took the test and they sent it back to my original MEPS. All on one week.

Haha, oh trust me everyone is in the loop. I must have called the recruiter about 8 times yesterday. It's to the point now where every recruiter in the station knows me on a first name basis. They are transferring my file over now. The problem was that the Ft. Lee MEPS couldn't see my initial file because Baltimore had it. Apparently they can't just email or send it (I've already tried playing that angle). Hopefully this will get me back on track. Either way I'm never gonna give up. I don't care if I get too old (ill petition for an age waiver). Eventually persistence pays off. Until then, I'm just proving how bad I want it.

• Like 1

Finished the Bedrock Trail Half Marathon on Saturday and my leg is still attached! :rolleyes: Probably close to 1000 ft elevation change over the 13 miles on narrow forest trails. But it was awesome. My legs are shredded. I finished in 2:31:17 and my kids were there to see me at the end with pom-poms and everything. I have a ortho consult scheduled on the 21st. Seems to be the first one I could get. Looking for another half to run in the next month (definitely a road course) and hopefully I can break 2 hrs!!!!

• Like 1

Good job and congrats. I ran my first half in 2011 (Marine Corps Historic Half in Fredericksburg), it was rewarding and exhausting at the same time. I can only imagine what those hills were like, way to tough through it.

Thanks. Yeah, I am a Half-Marathon addict. Very challenging but just short enough to not require a huge lifestyle change. Those hills were brutal. Last 5-6 miles was shuffle-walk-shuffle. I am looking for a Marathon to run in August or so.