National Guard and the Airlines

Hey guys! So this is a topic that I searched for and really didn't find much on. I am a fixed wing CFI and the original plan before ending up here at Rucker was to go to the airlines when I had enough hours. Now that I am going to be flying for the Guard, and some airlines take full rotor time, how difficult would it be to fly for the guard and fly for the airlines? I doubt that there would be a problem with the airlines for taking off for the military time but seeing the load of studying that I have here I can imagine that it would be a challenge keeping all that knowledge usable for Rotor and FW. I was wondering if anyone does this or has any knowledge to see how possible this is without burning out. Thanks for any help!

I don't think mixing the two is a problem. Get on Army Pilots To Airline Pilots and you'll see stories like yours. I knew one guy who did airlines until he was furloughed and had to do full time Guard at Rucker. Bunch of guys fly EMS and Guard at the same time as well.

Possibly a few of the regionals will accept rotary time but you sure won't make much. Also unless you're going to do a long commute to your Guard unit, you'd have to find a commuter job next to where you live. Lots of right time and right place to make that work.

• Like 1

I'm going to be living in the southern Wisconsin/Chicago area so most of the airlines that accept full rotor time have bases out of ORD. Hopefully it is something that can work

I don't think mixing the two is a problem. Get on Army Pilots To Airline Pilots and you'll see stories like yours. I knew one guy who did airlines until he was furloughed and had to do full time Guard at Rucker. Bunch of guys fly EMS and Guard at the same time as well.

Possibly a few of the regionals will accept rotary time but you sure won't make much. Also unless you're going to do a long commute to your Guard unit, you'd have to find a commuter job next to where you live. Lots of right time and right place to make that work.