Sept 2013 Civilian WOFT Board

Although I am naturally an optimist and searcher of silver linings, I'm also a competent individual who realizes when something is being delayed.

That being said (and since the May selection board thread is now past it's climax) I hereby initiate the September 2013 Civie Board thread.

I'm blaming the doctor at MEPS for my hold up, and hoping that at least I have more time to square things away. Anyone who unwillingly finds themselves hopping out of the July boat and into this one... I know how you feel. But at least we are still in it.

Anyone hoping to make this Board cause they just started: Good Luck!

**returns to making strongly worded calls to recruiter about physical SNAFUs**

• Like 3

Although I am naturally an optimist and searcher of silver linings, I'm also a competent individual who realizes when something is being delayed.

That being said (and since the May selection board thread is now past it's climax) I hereby initiate the September 2013 Civie Board thread.

I'm blaming the doctor at MEPS for my hold up, and hoping that at least I have more time to square things away. Anyone who unwillingly finds themselves hopping out of the July boat and into this one... I know how you feel. But at least we are still in it.

Anyone hoping to make this Board cause they just started: Good Luck!

**returns to making strongly worded calls to recruiter about physical SNAFUs**

Don't feel to bad. Had to hop from the Jan board, to the march board, and then finally the may board. Before being selected.

• Like 2

I assumed Lindsey would be making this thread after she hits another road block and misses out in July

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I broke my leg or something and got pushed to Jan 2014. My luck is terrible.

Just spoke to my recruiter. Waiting for an email today from MEPS #1 to determine if they will let me switch my file over to MEPS #2 or if they are going to schedule a consult with a neurologist at MEPS #1. At this point I'll take either option as long as it is scheduled expeditiously.

(I say that while keeping in mind that "expeditiously" for the military is slower than expected). Until then I'll keep watching Finding Nemo and remind myself to just keep swimming.

• Like 1

Sooo sept board is still a go? All the misinformation around that is good to hear. I keep doing a dance with the recruiter.

Hell I can't even get to meps until someone clears me from that damn "rare south american fever disease" that magically appeared on my record back in 2008 in meps that I have never even heard of. Aside from the fact I am still alive here in 2013 the effort required to clear this up is comical.

What a serious pain it has been. At least I did get some good solid laughs when the recruiter called me asking me about why I never disclosed it..

I started my journey to WOFT towards the end of March and was hoping to squeak by into the May board (ah, dreams..). I posted my stats in the July board thread and I'm still hoping to make it in time, but seeing as it's almost June and I don't even have a flight phys scheduled yet, I'll probably end up here. I'm going to hold off re-posting stats until I know for sure though.

I started my journey to WOFT towards the end of March and was hoping to squeak by into the May board (ah, dreams..). I posted my stats in the July board thread and I'm still hoping to make it in time, but seeing as it's almost June and I don't even have a flight phys scheduled yet, I'll probably end up here. I'm going to hold off re-posting stats until I know for sure though.

Welcome to the forums! Everyone's first post on the forums takes awhile to get approved by a moderator and then gets "lost" in the thread as more replies are added. Your stats look solid - the only concern is you don't have a degree, but then again that's not required and several people were selected without one. Is your résumé solid to offset that (i.e. have you been "doing something?")?

You've still got a shot at the July board, don't give up hope yet! What's the hold up with scheduling the flight physical? What else do you have left after that? Do you anticipate needing any waivers?

Thanks for the welcome Lindsey! Yes, I know the degree is a weak point, but my plan would be to hold off on finishing it until after flight school. I don't know how solid my resume is considering I haven't been doing much outside of work and putting my packet together. Any suggestions would be great!

As for the flight physical, I'm told the battalion won't send me until there's a group to send, and my recruiters don't know of anyone else applying, but are working on getting someone. Pending that, I'd only have the APFT and battalion board left to do. I'm thinking I'll end up with an eyesight waiver since I'm right on the edge of acceptable (20/50 in one eye), but other than that I should be good.

Thanks for the welcome Lindsey! Yes, I know the degree is a weak point, but my plan would be to hold off on finishing it until after flight school. I don't know how solid my resume is considering I haven't been doing much outside of work and putting my packet together. Any suggestions would be great!

As for the flight physical, I'm told the battalion won't send me until there's a group to send, and my recruiters don't know of anyone else applying, but are working on getting someone. Pending that, I'd only have the APFT and battalion board left to do. I'm thinking I'll end up with an eyesight waiver since I'm right on the edge of acceptable (20/50 in one eye), but other than that I should be good.

Feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you my email if you'd like me to look the resume over. Standard disclaimer applied though--I'm just another applicant! I did have a senior WO look over mine and sharpen it up, and I'd be happy to pass the advice forward.

I am and heard your name. I'm the one they're working on getting flight phys for right now and after that I just have batt board. I pitched the idea to them of letting me drive myself there and taking you with me because it would eliminate the TDY approval lag but I'm still having trouble just getting a date for the phys appointment. Good to see you're on here though and if you want to sit down and go over some of your packet I'd be happy to help. I've had a lot of input on mine and can pass along the information if you'd like.

Yeah just driving out there was my next question for them since I'm really hoping to still make the July cutoff, and if it worked out that would be great. I'd be more than happy to meet up sometime! Let me know when and I'll PM you my cell.

I'm thinking I'll end up with an eyesight waiver since I'm right on the edge of acceptable (20/50 in one eye), but other than that I should be good.

You don't need a waiver if you're 20/50 or better. If it's close I'd squint/guess/do whatever you can to read the 20/50 line. The techs are usually somewhat helpful giving you hints about which line you need to pass and giving you another chance if you miss a couple letters.

• 1 month later...

I am a long time lurker first time to post. Been working on a packet for 10 months(due to minor surgery). Hopefully September is the month! Also I was curious how long are the LOR's good for? 1 year? I hope...

my stats...

Male

6'4" 237lb

Afqt: 93

GT: 128

SIFT:62

Education: BS degree from OU GPA:3.533

APFT:??? Havent done yet. maxing pushups and situps, with about 14:45 min 2 mile. (Getting over horrible shin splints.)

Flight time: approx 5 hours

LOR's: Senator Inhofe (volunteered for Inhofe multiple times.), Retired Major(commissioned from cw3) 30 years as Delta airlines pilot (family Friend), CWO4 retired (family friend), Medical director/physician of the ER that I work with, Professor from OU (director of education program I attended),

Board interview: ??

Flight phys: completed Tuesday.

Been my dream since I was young to fly, my grandfather was a flying tiger in WW2, always looked up to him. Good luck to everyone! Look forward to hearing about everyone shooting for september.