Top 3 Best/Worst movies about flying

Just so we are clear, Top Gun is not only the greatest flying movie of all time, it's the greatest movie of all time!! :)

How can Top Gun be the greatest, but Speed and Angels the worst documentary? They both have some of the best air to air scenes around (no CGI crap). Speed and Angels gives an excellent insight into what it's like to go through fighter pilot training.

S&A only depicts the Tomcat pipeline. For probably the last two pilot selectees for the airframe. Basically it's a personal opinion. It rubbed me the wrong way, great flying in it, not a good documentary.

How in the world was Blackhawk Down missed??

Because Blackhawk Down isn't a flying move, it's a war movie with helicopters in it, like 'we were soldiers.' :)

A Top Gun sequal was in the making, Tony Scott was going to direct, but he killed himself. The whole thing is on hold, last I've heard.

Best

The Great Santini

The Right Stuff

Top Gun (mostly because I was in Navy flight school when it came out)

Pearl Harbor

Other good ones

The Guardian (USCG helo scenes)

Red October & Tears Under the Sun (only because they have Seahawks in them)

Worst

Iron Eagle (any of them)

Firebirds (although it is fun to bring it up with my Apache pilot friends)

Because Blackhawk Down isn't a flying move, it's a war movie with helicopters in it, like 'we were soldiers.' :)

A Top Gun sequal was in the making, Tony Scott was going to direct, but he killed himself. The whole thing is on hold, last I've heard.

And Top Gun isn't a flying movie either. It's a chick flick love story with jets in it.

• Like 1

I preface this by saying that I am a product of the 80's (Reserving the right to make this a top 6 list vice a top/bottom 3)

1) Top Gun (I have wanted to be a pilot ever since I saw this)

2) Midway (Lot's of cool gun camera footage and aircraft everywhere.)

3) Battle Los Angeles (CH-46's everywhere and my squadron helped with the filming, look for tail code MQ, this is a MAGTF movie so it counts!!)

4) Firebirds (cheesy but I love it)

5) Iron Eagle (Because flying to Queen's "One Vision" is badass)

6) Pearl Harbor (Army bombers off of a carrier = titanium testes)

• Like 1

Do we need to change the title to "best movie that includes flying of some sort"? Blackhawk Down was primarily MOUT tactics, but the title includes a helicopter, its based on a helicopter crashing and it contains lots of scenes with birds flying and operating.

Let's no split hairs here.

I'm about to watch Firebirds, it better be as good as everyone says.

And I'm not saying I downloaded it, I'm just saying only 3 people were seeding it.

If you haven't seen it yet. Don't mean to disappoint but it is a cheesy early 90's movie. So, of course, I love it.