• 5 weeks later...

Who cares about money? The army will always pay you enough to survive. Privates straight out of basic training manage to feed their families (although they must budget like crazy). I will be taking a small pay cut if I am selected for WOFT, but I guarantee you my quality of life will skyrocket. Corporate America is ruthless. I make a very comfortable living, but I'm bored to death, and am frankly tired of seeing my coworkers and friends laid off by greedy CEO's. Having a job and mission that you actually believe in is worth more than any paycheck. I'm submitting my WOFT packet because I miss the brotherhood and sense of purpose I experienced during my first enlistment. My family can see the stress and depression I feel working my current job. Quality of life is much more than just money.

That being said, as a responsible adult, of course I've done the math and have seen what effects my return to the Army will have on my ability to provide for my family. If I'm selected, I'll hit 6 years during flight school, so I'll actually be taking home a decent chunk of change, compared to what I make now. Like the paycheck, love the job.

• Like 2

Who cares about money? The army will always pay you enough to survive. Privates straight out of basic training manage to feed their families (although they must budget like crazy). I will be taking a small pay cut if I am selected for WOFT, but I guarantee you my quality of life will skyrocket. Corporate America is ruthless. I make a very comfortable living, but I'm bored to death, and am frankly tired of seeing my coworkers and friends laid off by greedy CEO's. Having a job and mission that you actually believe in is worth more than any paycheck. I'm submitting my WOFT packet because I miss the brotherhood and sense of purpose I experienced during my first enlistment. My family can see the stress and depression I feel working my current job. Quality of life is much more than just money.

That being said, as a responsible adult, of course I've done the math and have seen what effects my return to the Army will have on my ability to provide for my family. If I'm selected, I'll hit 6 years during flight school, so I'll actually be taking home a decent chunk of change, compared to what I make now. Like the paycheck, love the job.

Exactly my mindset when I got selected and I couldnt be happier. Minus having an enlistment. I dont miss corporate america one bit.

Exactly my mindset when I got selected and I couldnt be happier. Minus having an enlistment. I dont miss corporate america one bit.

Now all I have to do is get selected...no biggie right?

I'm catching a surprising about of flak from the people I thought would be most supportive of me pursuing WOFT. I graduated from college 3 months ago and half of my family thinks I'm trying to join the Army out of desperation of not finding a job. As if this is a job you just enlist for at your local recruiting office. :rolleyes: I'll take Army aviator and 35K a year over a 9-5 where I'm just pushing paper any day.

Heck, I'm excited about the substantial amount that I'm owed, mostly in flight pay, never mind what I actually get normally, when I'm on active duty. (Due to some pay issues, I'm working on 4 months of back flight pay, and a week or so of base pay.)

Might be time to go get that Breitling...

• Like 2

I'm catching a surprising about of flak from the people I thought would be most supportive of me pursuing WOFT. I graduated from college 3 months ago and half of my family thinks I'm trying to join the Army out of desperation of not finding a job. As if this is a job you just enlist for at your local recruiting office. :rolleyes: I'll take Army aviator and 35K a year over a 9-5 where I'm just pushing paper any day.

I am strongly offended when people consider the military to be a 'last resort' job for people that couldn't hack it anywhere else. In my opinion, the Army is one of the few truly respectable and worthwhile careers out there. People come up to me quite often (surprisingly often) and ask me to talk their kid out of joining. Those conversations usually end with me expounding on the great things the Army did for me and how much better off I am having served.

To be honest, most people I know have been extremely supportive. My wife said, "I'm surprised it took you so long." The only people that aren't supportive of my decision to come back in are my parents, who seem to think that the Army will initially offer me a pilot job, but change my contract at the last minute and make me infantry (as if infantry is a bad thing). Most people's misconceptions come from a simple lack of knowledge about the military.

• Like 4

I am strongly offended when people consider the military to be a 'last resort' job for people that couldn't hack it anywhere else. In my opinion, the Army is one of the few truly respectable and worthwhile careers out there. People come up to me quite often (surprisingly often) and ask me to talk their kid out of joining. Those conversations usually end with me expounding on the great things the Army did for me and how much better off I am having served.

To be honest, most people I know have been extremely supportive. My wife said, "I'm surprised it took you so long." The only people that aren't supportive of my decision to come back in are my parents, who seem to think that the Army will initially offer me a pilot job, but change my contract at the last minute and make me infantry (as if infantry is a bad thing). Most people's misconceptions come from a simple lack of knowledge about the military.

This isn't a new phenomenon. Kipling wrote a classic poem about it. http://quotations.about.com/cs/poemlyrics/a/Tommy.htm

After seeing some of the arbitrary BS that goes on in the army, I tend to agree with the detractors. No way am I letting my kid join.

Apacheguy,

Always been one of my favorite poems.

And I agree. I won't tell my son he can't join the Army, but I'll sure as heck push him towards the Air Force instead.

• Like 1

Don't be offended by ignorance.

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound idealistic, but the Army (or any other service) doesn't "screw" anybody. With very few exceptions, they're pretty good at following their contracts to the letter, but not one item more. Our problem as consumers is we don't consider the fine print.

The Army offered nothing other than to guarantee that I learned to fly helicopters. Not that I wouldn't get kicked out, that Id get promoted, get my choice of aircraft, duty station, etc. if it's not specifically spelled out in a contract it doesn't exist. It's up to the individual to plan and understand what the Army is and more importantly isn't doing for you when you sign on the dotted line. That said, excepting a precious few MOSs, I'd rather my sons became PFCs in the Marine Corps than Captains in the Air Force. After seeing every corner after almost 27 years I'm not a huge fan...

Mike-

• Like 4

Apacheguy,

Always been one of my favorite poems.

And I agree. I won't tell my son he can't join the Army, but I'll sure as heck push him towards the Air Force instead.

Sounds like something a pissed off SPC would write.

The Army gave me more opportunity than I've ever known and I'd be proud as hell to see my kid join.

• Like 1

Sounds like something a pissed off SPC would write.

The Army gave me more opportunity than I've ever known and I'd be proud as hell to see my kid join.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I meant that in a joking way but looking back at my post, I can see how it might come off like I dislike the Army. Definitely not my intention. I love the Army and will absolutely support both of my children if they choose that path.

Now to lighten the mood: I finally got my SIFT date for this Wednesday, the 19th. Wish me luck!

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I meant that in a joking way but looking back at my post, I can see how it might come off like I dislike the Army. Definitely not my intention. I love the Army and will absolutely support both of my children if they choose that path.

Now to lighten the mood: I finally got my SIFT date for this Wednesday, the 19th. Wish me luck!

Good luck man. No hurt feelings here, I just really love the Army despite it's problems.

• Like 2

I know this is going to sound idealistic, but the Army (or any other service) doesn't "screw" anybody. With very few exceptions, they're pretty good at following their contracts to the letter, but not one item more. Our problem as consumers is we don't consider the fine print.

The Army offered nothing other than to guarantee that I learned to fly helicopters. Not that I wouldn't get kicked out, that Id get promoted, get my choice of aircraft, duty station, etc. if it's not specifically spelled out in a contract it doesn't exist. It's up to the individual to plan and understand what the Army is and more importantly isn't doing for you when you sign on the dotted line. That said, excepting a precious few MOSs, I'd rather my sons became PFCs in the Marine Corps than Captains in the Air Force. After seeing every corner after almost 27 years I'm not a huge fan...

Mike-

He said it best. I can't stand it when my old buddies say "Oh the Army screwed me, woe is me." Dude, you either broke the rules or didn't understand what you signed up for, either way, that's not the Army's fault. I know a guy who long story short got caught smokin dope in the 'ghan and got kicked out when we got home, and he blames the Army for it. BLOWS MY MIND!

73. Very happy. Although, for the rest of the day I'll be AAR-ing the heck out of how I could've grabbed those other 7 points ;)

• Like 1