I read the first five chapters of the FAA basic helicopter handbook probably 3 times each, hand-wrote the glossary twice (from the FAA book), and took the practice tests in the Barron's military flight aptitude book

I read the first five chapters of the FAA basic helicopter handbook probably 3 times each, hand-wrote the glossary twice (from the FAA book), and took the practice tests in the Barron's military flight aptitude book

Did you feel like the FAA section helped? I've heard mixed reviews on that. All I've studied so far is the "SIFT: Study Guide" by Accepted inc.

There were quite a few questions in the aviation section of the test that I was able to answer confidently because of the FAA book. Slip, drift, coning, center of gravity, a couple questions about types of rotors and their construction. Actual Army specific questions were few and far between. I absolutely recommend spending some time in that book.

• Like 1

... I know a guy who long story short got caught smokin dope in the 'ghan and got kicked out when we got home, and he blames the Army for it. BLOWS MY MIND!

1968, First day of preflight. 270 some odd candidates, overflow accommodation.

Inspection (in between running up and down stairs and being screamed at) baggie of grass in my room mate's laundry bag. Fortunately he copped and we hadn't been together more than the few hours... (I think quantity was enough for a felony bust in the civilian world.) Go through all the hassle of getting WORWOC slot, complete basic training (11B still exist?), don't even get to the second day of preflight. Disappeared most rikki-tik. Then what? Do jail and/or owe the Vietnam army 2 years active duty?

"Man, I tried working with the system, but it just didn't respond..."

• Like 2

1968, First day of preflight. 270 some odd candidates, overflow accommodation.

Inspection (in between running up and down stairs and being screamed at) baggie of grass in my room mate's laundry bag. Fortunately he copped and we hadn't been together more than the few hours... (I think quantity was enough for a felony bust in the civilian world.) Go through all the hassle of getting WORWOC slot, complete basic training (11B still exist?), don't even get to the second day of preflight. Disappeared most rikki-tik. Then what? Do jail and/or owe the Vietnam army 2 years active duty?

"Man, I tried working with the system, but it just didn't respond..."

How in the world did any of you get through flight school back then without VR guiding you through the process? 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Went away years ago. Not even sure WOCS wears them anymore???

Wow - didn't know that. I had heard that shortly after OEF/OIF kicked off the Brigade/Garrison (?) CO put the kibosh on them 'in honor' of those deployed. Maybe it was never started again... That was definitely a tradition - I still have mine squirled away somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Wow - didn't know that. I had heard that shortly after OEF/OIF kicked off the Brigade/Garrison (?) CO put the kibosh on them 'in honor' of those deployed. Maybe it was never started again... That was definitely a tradition - I still have mine squirled away somewhere.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing but I definitely have my WOCS baseball cap and I went through in 2009. We graduated as WO1s though as soon as we were done.

Really quick, 09W's come in as E-4's right? Even without degrees?

Also, f*cking salute that captain if you run by during chow.

No, it depends on your college credits and stuff. You will, however, receive a paygrade promotion to E-5 on day 1 of WOCS.

• Like 1