EC-130 Center Windshield AD

I was wondering who if any have done the AD on the center windshield for the EC-130. I just did mine since it's in it's 12 year and it was pretty painless. I went with a TechTools windshield that was a perfect fit and a great price at only ~$3400. Total time was about 10 hours but being my shops first one they were taking their time not to damage anything. The shape is noticeably different giving it a bit more of a bulged out look to it. The AD is due within a year so I imagine we will be hearing lots more about this. Those wondering what the AD was about, basically it's about the center windshield being a large structural part of the fuselage. It was found to be flexing under high power settings and in some cases failing all together creating a pretty sticky situation for the pilot and occupants. Here are a couple photos.

post-29989-0-41589200-1370576003_thumb.jpg

post-29989-0-88466700-1370576003_thumb.jpg

Another example of a manufacture rushing something out the door. That is one of my biggest complaints about the 130, the windows are super thin and structural. Makes no sense to me. About your question... I'm pretty sure eurocopter isn't footing the bill!

Interesting. its more rounded vs flat? seems as if the air flow hitting a flat panel may have been to much. Gives it some character now. Does Eurocopter cover the fix or is that on the owner/operator since it was a design flaw?

The extra curve might give it more strength but I don't know the engineering behind it. And yea it's my bill. Why should Eurocopter have to pay for it? It's not like they designed it....right?

Nomad,

It is critical to use the proper adhesive for bonding. I am sure your installers did this.

Even more so, ensure that the black paint covers all of the adhered to areas for UV protection from "debonding".

This debonding issue becomes a preflight and post flight issue. I had to address this issue on my EC120 coming out of the paint shop and in house repaint the black!!!!!!

Mike

• Like 1

Nomad,

It is critical to use the proper adhesive for bonding. I am sure your installers did this.

Even more so, ensure that the black paint covers all of the adhered to areas for UV protection from "debonding".

This debonding issue becomes a preflight and post flight issue. I had to address this issue on my EC120 coming out of the paint shop and in house repaint the black!!!!!!

Mike

Yea that was the first thing they told me. This is why they pushed me to do this now before heading to paint. It's going to paint next. Thanks for the good advise.

The extra curve might give it more strength but I don't know the engineering behind it. And yea it's my bill. Why should Eurocopter have to pay for it? It's not like they designed it....right?

Toung in cheek I hope? who designed \ specified it