Technology in Flight School

Several people have made the suggestion of getting a iPad or iPad mini to use throughout flight training for both aviation type applications but also to have pubs on instead of carrying around hard copies of the pubs. I wanted to put it out there to those who have been through it to see what your thoughts are and any input you might have. Thanks.

You will be issued a laptop at Bco that you can put it all on. Our class was given the option to carry the laptop or the books for flight line. Personally the laptop stays in the bag and I carry hard copies with the digitals on my iPad. The laptop is newer, but it is slow to start and we aren't allowed to plug it in at the field, even to charge. I use my iPad for most of the questions cause I can search on it, but we still have to carry the paper versions.

They might allow them for studying but I just heard from and DAC at Lowe that they aren't approved for use in the cockpit yet.

Oh Lord no in the cockpit haha They are dell tablets with the flip screen so it becomes a tablet. Its a new one, but is still heavy and pales in comparison to me Ipad. They have a few programs for use in BWS, but otherwise they are a waste of space to be honest. Maybe one day they might work like they should, but for now it collects dust.

Oh Lord no in the cockpit haha They are dell tablets with the flip screen so it becomes a tablet. Its a new one, but is still heavy and pales in comparison to me Ipad. They have a few programs for use in BWS, but otherwise they are a waste of space to be honest. Maybe one day they might work like they should, but for now it collects dust.

What I'm referring to is smaller items like iPads. There's a new letter that's out specifically prohibiting PEDs. Around 2002 there was an AWR authorizing certain PEDs with battery voltages below a certain level. That letter just somehow disapeared and now it falls back on the -10 which says they're a no go. It's a rule that's regularly broken in a unit but at Rucker it isn't going to happen. A student isn't going to be allowed to use some moving map display on their iPad for NAV. Hopefully Redstone catches up with the rest of the world and will allow it in the near future. Edited by Velocity173

Get an Ipad and the app foreflight. That's the only reason I got through instuments. Good reader is another good app for pubs, regs, -10 ect. The laptop thing must be new, but I would still rather have my own ipad that I setup with my stuff.

It appears there isn't a blanket AWR. Just asked a bunch of buds currently flying 60s and they all said the same thing, no blanket AWR. One guy said 101st has one though.

We all use things that violate the EMI warning in the -10 and most commanders look the other way. We used old Garmin GPS 12s in Iraq and Garmin GPS 496s in Afghanistan. You've got reporters in the back of your aircraft with video cameras. The crews all bring cameras and use them as well. As far as Rucker though, I'd say there's a good chance your IPs aren't going to let you use it in the cockpit. There is no Task-Conduct terrain flight NAV. Conditions-with an uncertified personal electronic device.

So basically it depends on how anal your SPs are in adhering to the rules. If they have common sense, they'll pretend not to know about it and look the other way.

E6Bs and 1:50,000s maps. :)

Those are still here haha yah I dont see foreflight being used in the cockpit at rucker. I used it extensively in the commercial fixed wing side and ti is pretty awesome. Oh well. The laptop its self is just for study and is a waste that we have to have till we leave.

It appears there isn't a blanket AWR. Just asked a bunch of buds currently flying 60s and they all said the same thing, no blanket AWR. One guy said 101st has one though.

That's the unit I was referring to. I left just before they got it so I don't know all the details, but I've heard it's very specific. Like there are guys who have their own 16GB IPads that can't be used because the AWR only covers the 32GB version, or something like that.

That's the unit I was referring to. I left just before they got it so I don't know all the details, but I've heard it's very specific. Like there are guys who have their own 16GB IPads that can't be used because the AWR only covers the 32GB version, or something like that.

Yeah a friend of mine at Belvour said they have to test each individual aircraft and his unit didn't have the money to get it done. Apparently 101st does. You'd think they would just test each model of 60 and If there's no interference just issue a blanket AWR.

I just finished flight school, one of the last classes not to be issued a laptop. From what I understand, the laptops are great in terms of being able to do mission planning at home, but aside from that they are very cumbersome. I had all my pubs loaded on my iPad - in my flight line class, probably 2/3 of the students and IPs used their personal iPads to reference pubs.

I take it you're looking for something that you can update from any of those platforms. I have an Excel program on my laptop that works great and I customized to fit the way I want to log time. If I want to access it from another computer I just e-mail it. It took me a couple of hours to format and write in the formulas but it's nice now that's it's done.

That said, I haven't used it since I got a paper logbook.

Edited by SBuzzkill