The Entry-Level Pilot's Level of Knowledge,...or lack there of?

So now you're psychologists? Man, you guys crack me up! :rolleyes:

Now please excuse me while I start my downward spiral in becoming the Joker from Batman! :lol:

And you are obviously an expert on all things rotor-wing, right? I'll tell you a little secret. After a few years of working in this industry, you start to see stereotypes develop. When I was doing tours I could tell how things were going to go just by seeing the last name of the customers on the dispatch. And I've worked with enough pilots, taught enough students, and had enough employers to know exactly what kind of "pilot" you are. And I wouldn't hire you. Take that for what it's worth. Probably not much. But as the years unwind and you still can't get a job, maybe you will realize we are right.
  • Like 1

JD,

How you doing buddy?

Actually, it was never a pass or fail. It is either a "satisfactorily completed" or no entry at all.

The pilot does not require any further instruction by regs but can no longer fly as PIC once the original 24 months is up. If the original 24 months is not up, they could go fly and brush up on their short comings.

They could go to another CFI and satisfactorily complete a flight review.

Now if they did not get signed off by the first CFI, they should probably do some studying, brush up, get some flight instruction, etc. but it is not required.

Best wishes to you and family,

Mike

Yeah, I know. Such as why I said "sort of". As if you don't complete it and get signed off, then you can not fly as PIC. I would, if that happened to me, feel like a failure.....failed.

PS, you, Rick, Randy and Lyn should all hear from me soon on the upcoming FAASTEAM seminar at helicopter-success.

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot

I was an instructor at one time. I instructed people with "attitudes" occasionally. Now you assume I had one of these attitudes.

No assumptions needed. Your attitude is quite clear.

If you were an instructor at one time, you certainly don't appear to have been a good one.

Anywho... when I instructed people with attitudes I didn't like, as long as it didn't affect the safety of flight, I kept that out of the equation. I was there to teach and evaluate based on performance, not whether I liked them or them or not. I would say that is one of the things that separates the professional instructor and the hack with a chip on his shoulder.

Not at all.

If I don't care for someone, I won't waste my time with them in a training environment. A student ought not spend time receiving instruction from an instructor he or she doesn't like, and an instructor has no business wasting time with a student for whom he or she has disrespect.

You, for example. I wouldn't waste my time with you.

What you need to know:

1. dress like the customer;

2. for a left-footed machine, have a right escape route;

3. if you don't have HOGE capability, or if the job requires exceptional skill, you have entered the danger zone, and you should act accordingly;

4. multiply all maintenance-time estimates by three; and,

5. helicopter-flying has at least a 20-year apprenticeship, and few, if any, pilots ever achieve mastery.

• Like 1

No assumptions needed. Your attitude is quite clear.

If you were an instructor at one time, you certainly don't appear to have been a good one.

Not at all.

If I don't care for someone, I won't waste my time with them in a training environment. A student ought not spend time receiving instruction from an instructor he or she doesn't like, and an instructor has no business wasting time with a student for whom he or she has disrespect.

You, for example. I wouldn't waste my time with you.

Would you please tell us another "there I was" airplane war story? LOL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This thread seems to be revolving around semantics at this point. OP, I get what your saying. I'm still a noob and all, with only 130 hrs and trying to work through my CPL. I'd be lying if I told you I could crush the ground portion of a stage check, not to mention a check ride right now. The academic portion of flying is an insane amount of information, and it's very easy to only retain what is relevant for a given situation.

I'm quite competent regarding the info I may need for day to day training, but put me in a room with an examiner, not so much.

Still not sure if your post was meant to imply that entry level pilots don't have what it takes to meet the standard, or that the standard doesn't have what it takes to make someone a safe pilot. If you were referring to the latter, I'd have to say it depends on where you train I guess. Our examiners turn into a wild animal during ground checks.

• Like 1

This thread seems to be revolving around semantics at this point. OP, I get what your saying. I'm still a noob and all, with only 130 hrs and trying to work through my CPL. I'd be lying if I told you I could crush the ground portion of a stage check, not to mention a check ride right now. The academic portion of flying is an insane amount of information, and it's very easy to only retain what is relevant for a given situation.

I'm quite competent regarding the info I may need for day to day training, but put me in a room with an examiner, not so much.

Still not sure if your post was meant to imply that entry level pilots don't have what it takes to meet the standard, or that the standard doesn't have what it takes to make someone a safe pilot. If you were referring to the latter, I'd have to say it depends on where you train I guess. Our examiners turn into a wild animal during ground checks.

I started this thread (if I remember correctly?) because I'd heard some stories about those who employ us in the entry-level commercial world (after teaching) , companies like Papillon and such, complaining about the quality of the 1000hr applicants they were interviewing (can't read a chart for sh*t, lacking in "basic" knowledge, etc.). So I was just wondering if they could elaborate more, so I knew what areas to work on?

Honestly, I don't know what your are trying to ask? I think that oral knowledge is just dependent on the individual. It really doesn't matter what school you get pumped out of you either got the stuff or you don't.

I do notice that newer pilots tend to dwell on information that is not important. It's that new nugget of information that you have that you hold on to like it's gold, but really its just another tool in your toolbox.

I sometimes stumble across two pilots arguing over the most ridiculous topics, I then ask them something basic like weather minimums or company policy and they have no idea the answer. Its because all they are doing is playing stump the chump and trying to know the most ridiculous facts possible.

Know what you need to know to be a safe and proficient pilot, know what you need to know to get your mission or task complete safely and efficiently.