After Flight Instruction

I'm starting to approach that 1000 hour mark and I have some questions for those already in the industry. It seems to be common for Flight Instructors to move onto flying tours as their first job in the industry, and while this is a good option to build turbine time, I was wondering what jobs are available other than tours. I want to continue to advance flying wise, and while I would learn a lot transitioning to a turbine aircraft (I've only flown Robinson so far) I feel eventually I would want to do something a little more exciting/advancing than just picking up and setting down at the same spot. Eventually I would love to get into utility work and wondering if there is a job right after flight instruction that would help me advance towards this goal more than flying tours.

How to get into utility: Find a utility operator who will hire/train you on the line with only 1000 hours. Doable, but rare.

Option 2:

Do tours at Papillon South Rim, work there long enough and try and transition to the line.

Do tours with Temsco, work there long enough and try and transition to the line.

Do tours with ERA Alaska, work there long enough and try and transition to the line.

Eventually just about everyone wants to do something other than tours, but it's a good way to break into the industry.

I'm starting to approach that 1000 hour mark and I have some questions for those already in the industry. It seems to be common for Flight Instructors to move onto flying tours as their first job in the industry, and while this is a good option to build turbine time, I was wondering what jobs are available other than tours. I want to continue to advance flying wise, and while I would learn a lot transitioning to a turbine aircraft (I've only flown Robinson so far) I feel eventually I would want to do something a little more exciting/advancing than just picking up and setting down at the same spot. Eventually I would love to get into utility work and wondering if there is a job right after flight instruction that would help me advance towards this goal more than flying tours.

Good luck! There isn't any fast track towards utility. I can't think of a better way to build time and experience than tours. Max gross weight 90% of the time it can be long hectic days. I'm sorry to bust your bubble but you need the somewhat controlled environment of landing at the same place. Your low time in a more complex aircraft that is allot hevier than your robbie could ever be. The poster above all said good places to start. I flew the south rim for 3 years and almost 1500 hours sure it got old and boring but the south rim is almost 7000' summer time DA's easily hit 10500, spring and fall winds gusting 35-40 constantly and winter storms rolling in really fast. I have been told numerous times by my employers they really like south rim pilots it shows when it's windy, or heavy loads or both! Now that I'm in the utility world I can reach into that bag of experience and pull out what I need for that day and am thankful I got it. I'm partial to the south rim just because I was there but the ditch or Alaska are great places to start down the right path towards utility.