General Questions about WOFT and your experiences

Guys (any maybe a few girls),

First, this forum is great and already gave me much information not readily available about the obscure program that is WOFT. Users of this forum seem to be some of the most knowledgeable on this subject.

I was hoping to get some answers to some questions that have been more difficult to find answers to.

Selection

How frequent are the boards for selecting candidates? Is it a fixed static interval? Is it dependent on certain variables and/or the needs of the Army?

Is there a certain 'average' number of applicants per board in this day and age? I have read on these forums a few times that it seems to only be increasing since 9/11-pre 9/11 days...

I know you forums members dont make up the board, but in this day/age with WOFT being as competitive as it is, in your honest opinion, is there a reasonable chance/hope for a high school grad with no college/flying/military experience to be selected for the program (assuming all requirements are fulfilled)?

Applying

I hear there is a packet you prepare with all requirements. I assume this is given to a local recruiter? From there what happens and how long does one expect to hear back about the progress?

After selected

Once one has completed BCT, WOCS and the FT program, what happens. Do you sign a contact with the Army? Ist this done prior to completeing FT?

How long are you under contract for?

After FT, is one deployed to a certain area? Do you get to choose deployment area?

I apologize for 'being all over the place' with these Q's, but the Army seems to keep alot of info about this and especially the process and what one will expect obscure (perhaps keep as much info hidden to keep it competitive as possible).

If these questions and similar have been answered here before, please feel free to point me to them. I appreciate any information you can provide to me regarding these questions.

I realize this is perhaps a bit blunt, but most of those answers, if not all, can be found by using the search tool and just reading throughout the threads in this forum. Find threads with a ton of pages in them and try to make some time to read it. In between the banter there are some real gems of invaluable information.

• Like 2

How frequent are the boards for selecting candidates? Is it a fixed static interval? Is it dependent on certain variables and/or the needs of the Army?

Every 2 months.

s there a reasonable chance/hope for a high school grad with no college/flying/military experience to be selected for the program (assuming all requirements are fulfilled)?

Extremely unlikely.

I hear there is a packet you prepare with all requirements. I assume this is given to a local recruiter? From there what happens and how long does one expect to hear back about the progress?

Go talk to a recruiter, chances are the packet info you are looking at is for active duty military.

Once one has completed BCT, WOCS and the FT program, what happens. Do you sign a contact with the Army? Ist this done prior to completeing FT?

You sign your contract at MEPS before you ship to BCT.

How long are you under contract for?

6 Years after the completion of flight school(I think).

After FT, is one deployed to a certain area? Do you get to choose deployment area?

You are deployable after you complete you're upgrade training.

And BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No, you won't get to pick where you go get shot at.

Bull sh*t. There is a very reasonable chance if you score well on the tests, get good letters of rec, write a powerful letter, take a good DA photo, get a good PT score, and put together a professional resume.

I graduated high school with a 2.1 GPA. I did one year of college and then dropped out. I had some flight time and 3 years working in aviation but that's it. There's always a chance.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 3

I did one year of college and then dropped out. I had some flight time and 3 years working in aviation but that's it. There's always a chance.

I'm not saying I'm right, but your situation is the exact opposite of what he was asking.

The last few civilian selection boards have shown that it is extremely hard to get selected with out a degree or flight time. Are their exception? Yes, but they are rare. In the civilian board I was on I believe only 1 person didn't have a degree and they had significant flight time.

With the military decreasing in size the boards are most likely going to get more and more competitive. I think he should definitely try regardless of what his chances may be, because not trying means his chances are 0.

Guys, thanks for the info. I am still getting a feel for the process and how it works. So, if a civilian is not accepted for WOFT, what happens? There is no obligation to the US Army? Can you apply as a civilian again at a later time, what about after enlisting as a soldier?

Also, this video from the army

states "...Civilian applicants must fitst complete BCT." So, the Army wouldn't ship you out to BCT unless you were selected by theboard right? Or do all potential applicants attend/complete BCT before looked at chosen by board?

Thanks again.

You submit your packet to the USAREC (national) board which meets every two months. If selected, you go to MEPS and get your ship dates (BCT and WOCS) and sign your contract. You'll ship out anywhere from a month to 6 months later then proceed to go through the pipeline thereafter.

• Like 1

To add to Lindsey's post, if you're not selected on your first board, you will be automatically looked at again on the next board. You won't have any commitment to the Army until after you've been selected and you've signed your contract. If you're passed over twice you can join as an enlisted soldier and apply through the active duty side later if you choose but you're at the mercy of the army at that point.

• Like 1

You submit your packet to the USAREC (national) board which meets every two months. If selected, you go to MEPS and get your ship dates (BCT and WOCS) and sign your contract. You'll ship out anywhere from a month to 6 months later then proceed to go through the pipeline thereafter.

To add to Lindsey's post, if you're not selected on your first board, you will be automatically looked at again on the next board. You won't have any commitment to the Army until after you've been selected and you've signed your contract. If you're passed over twice you can join as an enlisted soldier and apply through the active duty side later if you choose but you're at the mercy of the army at that point.

Thanks Lindsey and l3uller for the info. I don't understand why the Army can't give out that info as simply put as you guys just explained (so I don't have to bother you guys on a helicopter forum). Even a recruiter I was in touch with could not tell me what you guys told me and seemed like he was sending me generic info from a 'script' that is stored somewhere.

Thanks again