Best Heli flight school in the Los Angeles area

Hello folks,

I am a 4 year vet currently living in NJ (which I completely hate). I have been interested in becoming a helicopter pilot since my first helicopter ride in Afghanistan. It's so beautiful to be above EVERYTHING and being able to see this phenomenal world from a bird's eye view. My question is, to become as successful as you guys, what are some of the first steps to take? I see VNY is a school to consider. I would absolutely LOVE to be in LA. I visited once during R&R and I was almost tempted to go AWOL lol. Nevertheless, any advice would help. I don't want to go into this blindly thinking I can figure it out by myself. I thank you guys for the feedback!

Very respectfully,

The Fly Guy !

Get It ? :D

don't quit your day job and save up a truck load of money. Then come on out and fly the crap out of some helicopters and join the fray! There is only one operator left at VNY who still does training......pm me if you have any ????

I PMed several of you already, just thought I'd post in case someone else wanted to chime in :)

Any updates on Elite / Rotor FX/Lite Flight and their recommendations? They're all based in VNY so I figure no matter what options I chose, it will be a solid based on what I've read so far.

I want to get my PPL soon as I just got sucked into the helicopter addiction, but wanted to take a Flight Demo and see how that turns out

Can't wait to start this journey!

• Like 1

You might want to look a little more carefully to see if these schools actually hire graduates as cfis like we guarantee. We have two aircraft currently in LA area. Tom 561-346-2816. Advertiser on this forum.

As an update, I've heard that Elite is not training anymore just focusing on commercial ops with the 44's. You can call them directly to verify.

Group 3 is still around but not sure if they still have a 22, maybe just 300/44's.

Orbic moved to Burbank.

LiteFlight currently only training in the 44.

RotorFx still training in the R22..

Star out of Hawthorne also trains in the 22..

Goldy

• 1 month later...

My brother completed his degree course from CCA (http://chartercollegeaviation.com/) as they provide different types of Helicopter Training. Am not sure on Heli Pilot Training but yes if you really want to make your career as a Helicopter Pilot, CCA is a good source to get your degree with sufficient practical training and they have many flight partner locations in US.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, just want to ask if you know any good training school in the LA area as if Feb 2016? I called Elite and they are no longer training. Many people mentioned this Oregon place but I can't go up there to train. From Yelp, which I'm not sure if it's a legitimate source, Rotor FX got really good review and I'm thinking about taking a discovery lesson there (they somehow paused their discovery flight due to some shortage of helicopters.) but I guess it won't hurt to ask around for recommendations. Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...