Advice needed

I'm sure this has been posted a thousand times, but Everyone's situation is different and wanted some experienced guys opinions. Ill try to put a lot of background info in

I'm 24 always wanted to fly but never had the funds to start. I have Been working a job that I hate for last 4 years and can't take it anymore and will be quitting in a couple months when my contract is up. Been trying to decide what I would want to do after that and it always comes to flying. I have no training so i would be starting from scratch and I don't have the cash to pay for school. Everything I read on here says dont take out a loan but realistically that would be my only way to pay for it because i would go crazy at my current job before I could save up enough for it. I know it would be hard paying the loan off on an into heli job, but I'm not wanting to do this to get rich i just love flying and if i could make enough to survive doing it then i would be ok with that. I don't have a mortgage and am not married so moving around for jobs wouldn't be a problem. I actually do that with my current job worked in 12 different states in last 4 years so I'm use to bouncing around.

One of the schools I've been looking at utah helicopters has a school in st George which is where my parents live so I could move back with them and live cheep while going to school. Anyone have experience with them, It a decent place to go?

Now you know where I'm at heres my question for all you experienced folks. Is it worth taking out a loan and living poor for a few years tell I can get a good job and pay the loan off? My thoughts at the moment is I'd rather be poor for a while doing something I love rather than making good money and miserable.

Sorry for the grammar my computer is having stress so I'm typing this on my phone

I'm still a low timer with very limited experience as a commercial pilot, just photos, tours, and ferry flights.

The last job I intervied for payed $7/hr and was only going to last about 5 months. It was a tour job for 500hr pilots which would (if I were lucky) yield maybe 100hrs? I of course was more than willing to live in my car and eat ramen for every meal, like the rest of us desperate low timers, while my boss adjourns to his second home during the off season. Would I be able to survive and make my loan payments?,...no way in hell, not even with a second job (not that there was much time left for one)!

Now, my loans are in deferement so I don't have to pay anything yet, however by the time I do find a job that pays a decent wage, my $400/mo. payment should be around $1200/mo.! My advice to you then, is don't take out a loan unless you can at least make the interest payment, otherwise you'll just get buried, and be stuck living below the poverty level for the next 10 years, if not the rest of your life!

Is flying for a living so great that its worth living like a homeless drifter who's girlfriend leaves him because she doesn't want to be alone for six months? So far,...NO!

You are still young enough to qualify for the WOFT program. Even if you don't get accepted for WOFT, the military is a good way to get school funding. It should not be the sole reason for joining the military though. Also keep in mind the stability of our government and it's benefit programs, what they are now may be very different a few years from now.

As far as Utah heli, I don't have experience with them but, I also haven't heard anything bad about them. My current instructor told me the school he went to (one of the Utah heli locations) wasn't very busy (takes a long time to build experience), but he didn't go to the St. George school.

The guys that tell you not to take out a loan are trying to teach you from others mistakes. However, I think there are very few of us that could afford to pay cash up front for all our training. What you need to be prepared for is to have a $65,000 to $100,00 loan, and can you even qualify? Living with your parents is a great idea to save money. After training, you will be competing with all the other low time pilots for those coveted CFI jobs. $7 an hour is low. I was paid $20 and hour for flight and ground. After getting a few hundred hours instructing under my belt, I was able to move into a salaried position with insurance (few and far between). Do you have a plan for paying your loan while making $12,000-$20,000 a year? You will be stuck in a low time, low income job for at least a couple of years. Good luck. I hope you make it.

• Like 1

It all boils down to what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice to have it. If you have the desire and drive to do it then go for it. Just be warned it is a cruel industry for low timers! But at the same time it can be rewarding beyond anything you have ever done. I wouldn't dream of doing anything else because I absolutely LOVE to fly, period!!

Good Luck!!

It all boils down to what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice to have it. If you have the desire and drive to do it then go for it. Just be warned it is a cruel industry for low timers! But at the same time it can be rewarding beyond anything you have ever done. I wouldn't dream of doing anything else because I absolutely LOVE to fly, period!!

Good Luck!!

SACRIFICE! as rotornut67 said & BE WARNED!

It is possible to pay off those burden some loans from my experience, but it requires lots of sacrifice. I would not have been able to do it without the support/patience of my wife and the opportunity to work overseas in the sandbox as a civilian. It took 8 years from the day I took out the loans to when they got paid off. I calculate it would have taken me another 8 if I had not gone overseas for work.

On the other hand, I have seen many become discouraged and without jobs and have their ratings and a huge amount of student loans and back to where you are right now (in a job they hate).

Good luck!

• Like 1

Haven't talked with them much because I'm working up in Washington for the next couple months. from the couple calls I've made they have pretty much said same as you guys are telling me. It's going to be hard to get a job that I will be able to make loan payments with low hours. Haven't decided on what school I want to go to yet it was just one I was looking at because I could live cheep while getting my ratings.

What would the best way to go about the loan. I have enough saved up that a could pay for my private in cash but would still have to get a loan for rest. So what I have been thinking is get the loan for the whole thing fly everyday and get my license as fast as possible then use what I have saved up to make payments tell I get a good job. I know that's going to cost me a lot more in interest but it would make it so I wouldn't have to get a second job to make my payments which leaves more time for flying. if I can get lucky enough to get hired as a CFI somewhere that is.

@adam32 yes I have

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Before you do anything, research a flight doctor and be sure you are fit for flight. Don't spend any money on becoming a pilot until you're sure you aren't color blind or otherwise excluded from flying. This will cost you about $100-$150, but could save you a lot of time and money moving, quitting your current work etc. Then start with a Private rating. It will cost you about $15,000. You'll learn right away if this is the right choice for you, and won't cost you more than a five year old car.

• Like 1

There was a student at a FW school I went to who got about 15 hrs in and was ready to solo. He went and got his medical and was DQ'd. He had some condition that prevented him from ever having a medical. He knew about it, it wasnt a surprise. He just never thought about it in the context of not being able to fly. I tell my students that within the first couple of lessons they need to get their medical done.

My advice is not to go to an FAA medical examiner first. Go to your regular doctor and tell them what you are doing. If something comes up with your regular doctor, get it handled before you go for a medical.

• Like 1

Run, run from your thoughts as fast as your feet will carry you and do not stop till you out run the crazy thoughts going through your head brother!!! Do something else!!!

A lot of you forumers will not like my comment. I don't care.

There was a student at a FW school I went to who got about 15 hrs in and was ready to solo. He went and got his medical and was DQ'd. He had some condition that prevented him from ever having a medical. He knew about it, it wasnt a surprise. He just never thought about it in the context of not being able to fly. I tell my students that within the first couple of lessons they need to get their medical done.

My advice is not to go to an FAA medical examiner first. Go to your regular doctor and tell them what you are doing. If something comes up with your regular doctor, get it handled before you go for a medical.

I was under the impression that you cannot start training without a valid medical?

Copter Keith could have a valid point... if he would explain himself. Don't be afraid to go after a dream based on the experience of others. He's an old timer with a lot of skill and talent, and if he has an ATP rating then he's highly educated in the field as well. He's also clearly jaded by some bad experiences. But that doesn't mean his life and needs and wants are similar to yours.

I know what I've gotten into. I know that its a long row to hoe. But the smile on my face every time I have a great flight tells me I'm doing what I love and want to do. It's all in your mindset. And think about this, you too Copter Keith:

If you don't do it, or hadn't done it, what would your life look like now?

On his deathbed, Copter Keith gets to say he flew, that his office had a 5,000 foot view, that he had skills and abilities that only a fraction of the population will ever have. If you take his advice- you won't ever get to say any of that.

Flying helicopters is a privilege that might not always be lucrative, might not always include a cushy bed or being home with your family. And I wouldn't trade it for anything that is planted on the ground. Not ever.

In the past, I used to be a “follow your dreams” kinda-guy, but no so much these days. Moreover, my youth motto was “go for it!” but maybe my experience over the years in this business has taught me otherwise……..

This industry is changing and, in my opinion, not for the better. Plus, no matter what some people want to believe, over time, flying helicopters for a living becomes nothing more than a job. A job just like all other jobs……

People will do (and believe) whatever they want. With that, the only cautionary advice worth reading is; never take out a loan for helicopter training. Truly, if you can’t work to earn the money to pay for the training, then you absolutely don’t want it bad enough….. Furthermore, this business provides zero guarantees, -meaning, it’s all a gamble. Assuming an 80K loan to finance a gamble is pure foolishness. However, if you can be happy in some other line of work while paying off an 80K helicopter training loan, then by all means, go for it!

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spike has a very good point. There are absolutely no guarantees here, and if you aren't the top ten percent in everything you do, helicopters will chew you up. How you get to the top includes natural talent, and hard work and determination and an all-go no-quit attitude. It's brutal in this field, for anyone who isn't up for a lifelong challenge. If you're one of us though, you'll do fine and be welcomed into the club.

And Spike is also right about times changing, but you're brand new, you won't know any better.

And lastly, you should thank Spike in advance for that financial bit of advice. The financial burden is no different than everyone else who goes to college, at the end you are going to owe $40,000- $80,000. If you can't get a job just like communications majors at university, then you'll be indebted for a very long and uncomfortable time.

and if you aren't the top ten percent in everything you do, helicopters will chew you up.uncomfortable time.

are you kidding me? everyone who is top ten in everything they do pleeeease raise your hand.... that's what I thought. Look, we're mostly talking about kids who have no drive to go to college, can't save $1 to save their life, can't see anything but the rosy clouds and rotors spinning round them... this is not to say they can't make it or can't be helicopter pilots but PLEASE....

I will agree with you that if you persist you will be able to make something of this field... but beware what that is. You don't know what you don't know.

Spike has a very good point. There are absolutely no guarantees here, and if you aren't the top ten percent in everything you do, helicopters will chew you up. uncomfortable time.

Where did that come from? I did however manage to graduate high school with a 2.0 (mostly because I was a good kid and my teachers all knew I had already enlisted in the Marines) I wasnt anybody special in the Corps and graduated the police academy #11 out of 22! Once again I break the mold!! I do consistently score 100% on my pistol quals.