Questions that I know get boring for those on this forum

tsimmns, your cousin might have been referring to aerial observer. Back in the old days enlisted flew in 58 A/Cs as observers. Used to have enlisted flying in OV-1s as well. While they had basic flight training, they weren't pilots like the D has. As far as I know the observer program ended in the 90s.

tsimmns, your cousin might have been referring to aerial observer. Back in the old days enlisted flew in 58 A/Cs as observers. Used to have enlisted flying in OV-1s as well. While they had basic flight training, they weren't pilots like the D has. As far as I know the observer program ended in the 90s.

That is very true, and my response was hopefully received with the intended humor.

Some of the old 58 observers no doubt ended up flying a good bit of the time, officially or unofficially, but they were never "in the back" just waiting to take over. They also did more than "just sit there." It's my understanding that it was a pretty cool job for the enlisted guy that could get it.