Just finished WOCS

I graduated basic last Thursday and shipped out to Rucker on Friday. We class up tomorrow (whatever that means) but don't "start" WOCS until this Friday. That's when we will have our first APFT and move into our permanent barracks. From what I've heard, about a week is normal.

That is an idiotic statement right there.

I can't imagine that WOCS has gotten much harder than when I went through. That was like college with some running and a little more rigidity.

Not necessarily, I can see how some personalities would be able to handle SERE and have a harder time with WOCS. I know a guy that had gone through SERE C while enlisted but volunteered to go through it again in flight school. He also gave himself an IV once just for practice and he wasn't even due for his combat lifesaver recert. That's just the kind of stuff he enjoyed. He most likely had some mental illnesses going on but he was far from an idiot.

I can honestly say that given the choice between SERE and a 7 week WOCS course, I would take SERE. At least those three weeks went by quicky and we were continuously learning. WOCS felt like it would never end. Just day after day of the same endless boredom.

Sorry for all the questions ahead of time lol. Thanks I'm advance

1) Will I be able to live with my wife immediately after graduating from WOCS?

2) She plans on staying where we are now while I attend WOCS, since we won't see each other. Will she get BAH for our current duty station or FT. Rucker. I believe wherever she resides but want to confirm.

3) I also received a school reservation for course title "AVIATION WARRANT OFFICER BASIC". Is this a portion of flight school? It's about a month long.

4) The second school starts a month and a half after my WOCS end date. What will I be doing in between? (Christmas is in between so that may have something to do with it.

Sorry for all the questions ahead of time lol. Thanks I'm advance

1) Will I be able to live with my wife immediately after graduating from WOCS?

2) She plans on staying where we are now while I attend WOCS, since we won't see each other. Will she get BAH for our current duty station or FT. Rucker. I believe wherever she resides but want to confirm.

3) I also received a school reservation for course title "AVIATION WARRANT OFFICER BASIC". Is this a portion of flight school? It's about a month long.

4) The second school starts a month and a half after my WOCS end date. What will I be doing in between? (Christmas is in between so that may have something to do with it.

1) You will be able to live with your wife after WOCS. You will receive guidance on housing options towards the end of WOCS.

2) BAH should be paid using the zip code of your spouse.

3) WOBC / BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course) is the next school after WOCS and is part of it.

4) There typically are gaps between schools. There are details that you may get assigned to in between. Funeral Detail, Flat Iron (MEDEVAC) radio operator, B Co CDO, SERE detail (after completion of SERE) to name a few. If you don't get assigned a detail, you attend PT in the morning and do as you please the remainder of the day.

1) You will be able to live with your wife after WOCS. You will receive guidance on housing options towards the end of WOCS.

2) BAH should be paid using the zip code of your spouse.

3) WOBC / BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course) is the next school after WOCS and is part of it.

4) There typically are gaps between schools. There are details that you may get assigned to in between. Funeral Detail, Flat Iron (MEDEVAC) radio operator, B Co CDO, SERE detail (after completion of SERE) to name a few. If you don't get assigned a detail, you attend PT in the morning and do as you please the remainder of the day.

Thanks for the answers so fast!!

Another question, sorry lol. I had one friend who just complete flight school tell me that I should move my wife down there with me at first before WOCS, to ensure the move and everything is complete to prevent delaying training. I've already completed SERE and Dunker (even though they will probably make me do Dunker again just to make me current). My WOCS end date is Dec 18 and my BOLC date is Feb 2nd. Do you think they would allow me like a month of leave, I have the days, to move my wife and everything down to Rucker? She would prefer to stay where we are now with her family since we can't see each other in WOCS anyways. Thanks

Thanks for the answers so fast!!

Do you think they would allow me like a month of leave, I have the days, to move my wife and everything down to Rucker?

I know guys who came from Active Duty Army and from another service that moved their family to Rucker prior to starting WOCS. One thing mention is that base housing gave us a "gift" for going on the tour at the end of WOCS which got us a better home.

Originally, we rated a two bedroom duplex with a car port in the older homes. After a few upgrades due to availability, we ended up in a 3-bedroom single family home with a garage. This was the case for our next door neighbor as well who was in my WOCS class. This "gift" is not available if you moved prior to starting WOCS.

In the end, it's up to you and your wife but it sure is nice to have a better home to live in for the next two years. Granted, what housing might offer may be different due to availability.

As to whether you will be granted leave to move your dependents, you'd have to talk to HHC about that or your losing unit.

Yeah we have been talking about living on post if we can since it would be nice to be close to school once I start flight school. So I might be able to email HHC now and ask if I can take like a month of leave after WOCS to move since there's such a big break? So for all the questions about this one issue. We just found out I'm leaving in like two months so trying to figure it out as soon as we can. I do appreciate all the help!!

Yeah we have been talking about living on post if we can since it would be nice to be close to school once I start flight school. So I might be able to email HHC now and ask if I can take like a month of leave after WOCS to move since there's such a big break? So for all the questions about this one issue. We just found out I'm leaving in like two months so trying to figure it out as soon as we can. I do appreciate all the help!!

I doubt that emailing HHC is going to be of much help to you at this point, but try if you like. But to answer your question, it is very easy to take leave after WOCS. Just like any other duty station/PCS move, you will receive travel days, etc. to move your family that you can use in conjunction with regular leave. Whether or not they will let you take 30 days may be in question (it's possible), but you can probably count on 15 or so. That's pretty reasonable - I moved from the pacific northwest to Rucker after WOCS and only took 10 days.

Ok thanks guys. I think 10-15 days would be plenty. Once I get back from my deployment I'm going to go ahead and start packing all the stuff we never use and have the army move it for the wife and me. I'll take that time to help her as well. Thanks for all the help!!!

same as gzilla ... they said their policy was 10 days ... no one was allowed more ... pretty sure no ptdy either

They allowed ptdy but not to go get your stuff. If you took ptdy you had to stay local and be actively looking for a place. The know about the alaract message for street to seaters, but the commander is choosing to not follow it.

• 2 weeks later...

kind of a silly question, during wocs while you are "locked down" and forced to live there do they allow you to have your phone? tobacco? or is it like basic

Edited by Yamer

In the seven week course, we went... I think two weeks without our phones. Once we were granted phone privileges - via memo, of course - we got our phone for two half-hour sessions per week. Otherwise, it was lockdown. No phones, no tobacco... about the only leisure item we could have were books, mostly the ones on sale at clothing and sales.

I'm looking for some advice for Phase 1 DL. I just submitted both of my essays. I just started to read on Module one for the first exam. Do I have to read through every PDF file in each lesson for the exam? I'm deployed and have a busy flight schedule. I don't mind doing it if it's necessary, however I'd rather not spend time reading every single lesson all the way through when all of it's not on the exam. I understand it will probably come in handy in Phase 2, so I would read the rest if I get time or when I return home. I don't want to come off as lazy, because I am not. Thanks

For the 7 week course i think we got coffee at the end of week 2 or beginning of week 3. most of us were jittery that first day.

What a great day. We put in a caffeine memo every day. When it happened: Epic.

Here's a Pre-WOCs/ Post BCT question. Are we allowed to take our own vehicles down to WOCS upon completing BCT?

I know one guy drove his pov from Jackson down. I think it is more up to your BCT commander. He/she would be the one to sign off on you making the drive. If you do you just leave it in the lot where everyone stores their vehicles during WOCS.

• Like 1