Just finished WOCS

I'm looking for some advice for Phase 1 DL. I just submitted both of my essays. I just started to read on Module one for the first exam. Do I have to read through every PDF file in each lesson for the exam? I'm deployed and have a busy flight schedule. I don't mind doing it if it's necessary, however I'd rather not spend time reading every single lesson all the way through when all of it's not on the exam. I understand it will probably come in handy in Phase 2, so I would read the rest if I get time or when I return home. I don't want to come off as lazy, because I am not. Thanks

I would say to definitely study it. If you don't pass the test, you'll end up in a 7 week course and if you fail a test in the 7 week you will be eliminated from WOCS. We had 2 eliminated because they failed DL and then failed a test at WOCS.

• Like 1

Here's a Pre-WOCs/ Post BCT question. Are we allowed to take our own vehicles down to WOCS upon completing BCT?

Probably won't be able to drive yourself, we all had to ride the bus with the AIT students. One way to make sure you have a car there is to have friends or family meet drive down to Rucker and meet you after you sign in.

• 4 weeks later...

Is wocs only 5 days a week and you can go home on the weekends? I just had an interesting conversation with a blackhawk pilot and that's what he was saying.

WOCS is all day every day for the entirety of the course (with the exception of the on and off post pass you can "earn" at the end of the course). Now, once you get to BOLC then you can go home every night and get the weekends off.

any suggestions as to what to study to get ahead of the game for wocs? i prepared for something worse than basic, menatlly and physically but what can i study academically? how to write a risk assessment?

Mostly just do what you've already done. The only thing you can study in advance is the WOCSOP which is your bible during WOCS. The better you know it, the better you will be with the TACS and leadership positions. If you want an up to date copy I cannot confirm nor deny that I'd be able to procure one for you in PDF format. PM me

Edit: BTW for me it was much easier than basic. Definitely hard in its own unique ways but overall much better than basic (I guess depending on where you attended basic, I went to Benning)

Edited by 01CelicaGTS

If Celica gets busy and can't get back to you, hit me up. I was in his class.

The one thing I cam tell you is don't look forward to graduation day. It's awesome to get your bars pinned on but it is the longest day ever getting in processed at B Co. Bring cash for snacks because hood luck fitting lunch in.

Congrats gentlemens. Did you have any priors that went through with you all?? Trying to figure out how likely it is I am going to have to do the Phase 1 in residence vice by DL. MEPS had no clue what to do with me so they signed me up for the full 7 week shebang.

• 1 month later...

Congrats gentlemens. Did you have any priors that went through with you all?? Trying to figure out how likely it is I am going to have to do the Phase 1 in residence vice by DL. MEPS had no clue what to do with me so they signed me up for the full 7 week shebang.

Ha... I'm in the same boat. Was Active for 8 years, made an odd move to the Reserves for the last 5, coming back WOFT as active duty. A 13 year SFC with secruity clearance who had to go through the regular recruiters and provide ssn cards, birth certs, etc... I mean, my DD 214 DOES have all that already. I AM still "in"...

So it's been frustrating with them (and MEPS) who aren't sure what to do with me and can offer little help, advice, or info vs all the digging I've been doing here and other places. For instance- recruiters say "you can only take a back pack down with you". Hmmm, but I'm reading I need at least a duffle's worth of stuff...

I'm taking what I've got (which isn't everything- no Gortex and some other stuff I had to turn in... or just don't have) Hopefully this works out and they're understanding in my (what I feel to be) somewhat rare situation. 7 weeks for me I guess. One perk I heard though was that if you've been an E-7 for 2 or more years prior, you'll be promoted to W-2 upon graduation of WOFT, about 6 months ahead of the rest of the pack. True?

I leave on the 13th...

Not true, although there is a separate TIS and TIG criteria for Tech Warrants and Aviators. The only people who I've heard of getting promoted or commissioned at a higher grade were former Captains and higher who have completed the Captains Career Course already. Also, there were many former SFCs in my class and we are all WO1s now with the same DOR.

Also, if you've had a break in service longer than 90 days, you are entitled to another initial issue of clothing. That may be why your recruiter may be telling you all you need is a backpack.

Ha... I'm in the same boat. Was Active for 8 years, made a odd move to the Reserves for the last 5, coming back WOFT as active duty. A 13 year SFC with secruity clearance who had to go through the regular recruiters and provide ssn cards, birth certs, etc... I mean, by DD 214 DOES have all that already. I AM still "in"...

So it's been frustrating with them (and MEPS) who aren't sure what to do with me and can offer little help, advice, or info vs all the digging I've been doing here and other places. For instance- recruiters say "you can only take a back pack down with you". Hmmm, but I'm reading I need at least a duffle's worth of stuff...

I'm taking what I've got (which isn't everything- no Gortex and some other stuff I had to turn in... or just don't have) Hopefully this works out and they're understanding in my (what I feel to be) somewhat rare situation. 7 weeks for me I guess. One perk I heard though was that if you've been an E-7 for 2 or more years prior, you'll be promoted to W-2 upon graduation of WOFT, about 6 months ahead of the rest of the pack. True?

I leave on the 13th...

Yeah, that has been the truly frustrating part. Recruiters, MEPS etc look at me like I have a horn coming out of my head. They really dont have much of a clue. Hell, I have 3 PEBD's right now LOL.

Not true, although there is a separate TIS and TIG criteria for Tech Warrants and Aviators. The only people who I've heard of getting promoted or commissioned at a higher grade were former Captains and higher who have completed the Captains Career Course already. Also, there were many former SFCs in my class and we are all WO1s now with the same DOR.

Also, if you've had a break in service longer than 90 days, you are entitled to another initial issue of clothing. That may be why your recruiter may be telling you all you need is a backpack.

I'm not sure if aviators are eligible for it, and while I suspect that they're not, it wouldn't be until after finishing WOBC (i.e. flight school) either way. On the walking side, however, this program does/did exist.

It was an aviator that told me about the W2 promotion, who graduated not too long ago (CW2 Libby if anyone knows him, flys '60s).

"How long have you been a SFC? There is a rule stating that if you were an SFC for more than 2 years prior to pinning WO1 that you will pin CW2 upon graduating all of flight school. This helps but flight school is so long that it will only put you 6 months ahead of your peers. Either way its a quicker bump that I hope you can take advantage of... "

He was Guard though, maybe it's different?

No break from USAR -> RA anyway (on TPU status). Maybe the 5 years I've been away is considered a break?

• 2 weeks later...

Air force guy here with a WOCS date of 27 Jan 14. Thanks for all the info on this site! Its been helpful! Im sitting at MEPS as we speak waiting to get up in the morning and do all the processing fun. Glad to hear its gonna be hell and a mass confusion. lol