Newbie: Civilian to Army Aviator

Hello all, glad that I found this forum as it seems to be a wealth of information concerning this industry as a whole. It really gives a "real world" background as to what is really going on beyond what the guy at flight school tells you, just to get you in the door. I almost laughed when he looked at me with a serious face and said "You want to know the no. 1 reason why now is a great time to get into aviation?" Me: "What's That?" Him "All of the Vietnam vets are retiring, and they need pilots to fill those slots!" Haha!

Anyway, I'm new around here. I have been into rotary-winged aviation from a very young age (I'm 21 now), but always thought my dream of making a career out of it was out of reach. Sure I've considered the private route, but lets face it, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

Until about a month ago, I always thought that military aviators all had college degrees. Then after my last ride offshore sitting left-seat in a 206, I told myself "You NEED to follow this dream no matter what!" If you want it bad enough you will get it. So I did some more research and found out that not all Army Aviators have degrees. Which sparked and renewed interest in making my dream come true, and finally getting to serve my country in the way I want to serve.

So I've come to the Mil Section of VR for your assistance. I've done a lot of reading here through the various threads and stickies, and have learned a lot about the process. However, I find myself a little confused with some of the information as it seems there are AD, AR, and NG threads mixed in with each other, as well as a mixture of "Service to Seat" along with "Street to Seat" threads.

I know my first step should be to speak to a recruiter but I want to go in with my own knowledge base before speaking to him/her. I am looking for an in-depth break down of what someone one could expect if they chose to go the active duty, street to seat route. I know this is a difficult process, combined with ALOT of competition. But I still feel the need to at least try. My father is a big believer of "Saying you are going to try something, and actually trying it are two different things."

My research thus far has landed me here, but I would love some one to elaborate more and possibly correct any steps I may have misinterpreted.

-Meet with recruiter and let him/her know your interested in becoming an army aviator.)

-Begin WO packet. (How long does this normally take to assemble)

-Packet goes before selection board

-If selected, you sign your 3 year obligation and ship off to BCT

(Correct me if I am wrong, but is there any commitment prior to being selected for WOFT?)

-After basic, attend WOCS (is this at rucker?)

-Can you move your family to AL while in flight training? Do you get to go home every night?

-After WOCS you begin flight training in your air frame (do you chose this, or are you assigned an air frame?)

-Before flight training you sign another 6 year obligation?

-When do the other classes like IWRE and BOCS(or whatever their called) come into play?

-After flight training you are given orders and stationed somewhere in the country or even abroad. (Can family move abroad?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Like 2

-Meet with recruiter and let him/her know your interested in becoming an army aviator.) Yes.

-Begin WO packet. (How long does this normally take to assemble) Yes, it took me a month but for some people it can take a year. If you're fully qualified and have no issues it shouldn't take you more than 3 months to get a packet in to the board. If you run in to issues it will take longer.

-Packet goes before selection board Yes.

-If selected, you sign your 3 year obligation and ship off to BCT Yes.

(Correct me if I am wrong, but is there any commitment prior to being selected for WOFT?) No.

-After basic, attend WOCS (is this at rucker?) Yes and Yes.

-Can you move your family to AL while in flight training? Do you get to go home every night? Yes flight school is similar to a normal job. You show up in the morning and you go home (on or off post, you can rent a house if you want). The only exception is SERE which is 3 weeks.

-After WOCS you begin flight training in your air frame (do you chose this, or are you assigned an air frame?) No. You begin flight training in the Bell 206. After IERW you will select airframes and then train in what you picked. Do good in IERW and you will get to pick from whatever they give you for selection, do poorly and you get the scraps.

-Before flight training you sign another 6 year obligation? No. Your 6 year obligation starts when you pin your wings on.

-When do the other classes like IWRE and BOCS(or whatever their called) come into play? BOLC is before IERW. IERW is Initial Entry Rotary Wing which is your first few months of flight training.

-After flight training you are given orders and stationed somewhere in the country or even abroad. (Can family move abroad?) Yes you are. Your family can go wherever they want. Will the Army pay for it? Most places yes, some places no.

Talking to a recruiter as your first step may not get you very far. Unless you luck out and talk to the very rare recruiter who both knows what's involved in putting together a WOFT application and wants to help you do it, you'll be ignored at best or fed misinformation in an attempt to get you to enlist at worst. You should at least know the full process before you talk to a recruiter, and this forum is probably the best place to figure that out. You might even want to complete the items you can on your own first.

Thanks for the replies

How would you guys suggest talking to a recruiter? Should I call the local recruiting office and ask if anyone is familiar with a WOFT packet? Or should I go down there and tell them I want to be an Army Aviator and HOPE that they don't try to pretend they know what they are doing?

I'm pretty sure they are familiar with what is going on, since a friend's sister just graduated flight school, and I'm pretty sure she went to the recruiter around here.

If the local recruiter seems to have no idea what's going on, how do I go about finding one that does? Do I just head into the next town over and hope they know whats up?

While its true that it helps to have more education it is not a requirement. As many have said on this site, it's about the entire package, and if you're lacking in one area, education, make sure you make up for it in other areas.

The best advise I can give on a recruiter is to go into an office prepared for them to push you to enlist. Stay confident and polite, tell them this is what you want, what you're going to do, and if they continue to be difficult dont be afraid to find a different recruiter. I told my recruiters (plural) that I was aware this packet was more difficult than their ordinary enlisted packets, but I would do my best to help as much as possible and they backed off the enlisted speech. Without a college education they will tell you there's no chance your getting in WOFT and it's not worth trying. Don't listen.

Also I can't stress this enough. CALL THE RECRUITER EVER WEEK. If you don't call or they havent called in the past week then assume they aren't working on your packet. They will tell you something's going to take 4-6 weeks to process, call anyway and ask if theirs anyone you can call to make it happen faster, or see if there's anything else they need from you. Either way call every week and check in with them or nothing will get done.

As someone posted above this can be done in as little as 3 months, but it will be hard regardless. I've been doing this since April of last year, and yesterday I was told I'm going to be getting a new recruiter (my fifth). It's easy for things to get in the way of completing a packet (long work weeks, bad recruiters, issues with your packet, etc.) to quote will smith. you want something. Go get it. Period.

And yes if you feel the recruiter isn't doing their job, go to the next town, the next city, or the next state until you find someone who will help you get this completed

• Like 1

I am certainly lacking in the education dept(on paper), but not in the intelligence dept. I hope my test scores will prove this. I left high school at 16 for personal reasons and got a GED. From there I went to college and currently sit about 15hrs shy of an AAS-Industrial Technology (big field around here). Only reason I stopped going to college was because I found a well paying job that hired me on at a technician level and I worked my way up to where most people would end up if they had a degree. I make way more that I would being an Army Aviator. But this is not about the money. Every job I have held has been about the money, and I'm tired of chasing the dollar, I want to chase the dream! I want to follow my passion and fulfill my desire to serve my country the way I want to serve!

Being that I have the GED, should I go ahead and finish out the degree just to make up for that?

yes. at the same time. you can finish that before your packet gets sent. too easy

Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much what I figured.

Do you think once I have the AAS that the GED will hurt me?

Google Warrant Officer Career Center and look for the recruiting link on the left. It will link you to all kinds of fabulous information direct from the source, including sample applications. If you show up to your recruiter with some of the items that you can do yourself complete, I imagine it helps show that you not only know how it works (won't get talked into enlisting because it gives you a better chance-don't by that one) and you are serious because you have already written the resume that is required based on the sample in the packet. I can't guarantee this will help as I was prior enlisted, but nobody likes to waste time, and a recruiter is no different.

Good luck to you, and in these times of very competitive boards, I would strongly recommend finishing your degree, any degree. The army could care less what its in mostly. Lots of the branch guys with Liberal Arts degrees, our two current platoon leaders (LTs) one has a nuclear engineering degree, and the other is some kind of life sciences. Neither really has a direct bearing on the career field, but they do show the ability to start a long term task, and finish successfully.

That said, it never hurts to submit, worst case is a two time non select and a 6 month wait to resubmit while you finish your degree and get that PT test up to par.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Google Warrant Officer Career Center and look for the recruiting link on the left. It will link you to all kinds of fabulous information direct from the source, including sample applications. If you show up to your recruiter with some of the items that you can do yourself complete, I imagine it helps show that you not only know how it works (won't get talked into enlisting because it gives you a better chance-don't by that one) and you are serious because you have already written the resume that is required based on the sample in the packet. I can't guarantee this will help as I was prior enlisted, but nobody likes to waste time, and a recruiter is no different.

Good luck to you, and in these times of very competitive boards, I would strongly recommend finishing your degree, any degree. The army could care less what its in mostly. Lots of the branch guys with Liberal Arts degrees, our two current platoon leaders (LTs) one has a nuclear engineering degree, and the other is some kind of life sciences. Neither really has a direct bearing on the career field, but they do show the ability to start a long term task, and finish successfully.

That said, it never hurts to submit, worst case is a two time non select and a 6 month wait to resubmit while you finish your degree and get that PT test up to par.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks for the reply, and great suggestions! So what your saying is, I should give it a try now with the GED and credit hours, and worst case I am a FQ-NSx2 and in the mean time work on completing the degree?

Also, once I take the ASVAB and AFAST(or the test that replaced it) how long are those scores good for?

If you get above 40 on the SIFT (The new flight aptitude test, replaced the AFAST) that is your score for life, cant retake, nothing. If you do not get over 40 you can take it one more time after 180 days. Your ASVAB you can retake to improve, but after two years you have to retake.

Get your Bachelors degree, in whatever, just get it. I have a GED and during battalion boards they asked quite a few questions about my high school education even though I have my degree. 99% of people that apply have a Bachelors or are close to finishing it.

When you talk to the recruiter they are going to have you take a mock ASVAB that gives them an estimate of what your likely to get on the real ASVAB. Take it, see what you get, and study the areas you scored low.

I cant stress this part enough. DO NOT take the SIFT until you are completely positive you will score high. This is a score for life and you don't want to get 40 as your score.

I just got done going through this insane process and can answer questions you might have. I'm not bragging, but the majority of the time, I knew more about this program and applying for it than my recruiters.

Good luck.

If you get above 40 on the SIFT (The new flight aptitude test, replaced the AFAST) that is your score for life, cant retake, nothing. If you do not get over 40 you can take it one more time after 180 days. Your ASVAB you can retake to improve, but after two years you have to retake.

Get your Bachelors degree, in whatever, just get it. I have a GED and during battalion boards they asked quite a few questions about my high school education even though I have my degree. 99% of people that apply have a Bachelors or are close to finishing it.

When you talk to the recruiter they are going to have you take a mock ASVAB that gives them an estimate of what your likely to get on the real ASVAB. Take it, see what you get, and study the areas you scored low.

I cant stress this part enough. DO NOT take the SIFT until you are completely positive you will score high. This is a score for life and you don't want to get 40 as your score.

I just got done going through this insane process and can answer questions you might have. I'm not bragging, but the majority of the time, I knew more about this program and applying for it than my recruiters.

Good luck.

Do you have your GED and Bachelors? Also what sort of questions did they ask you regarding your GED/Highschool Education?

Have you been selected for WOFT?

Do you have your GED and Bachelors? Also what sort of questions did they ask you regarding your GED/Highschool Education?

Have you been selected for WOFT?

I do have a GED and am in "negotiations" over a class that is keeping me from getting the actual Bachelor certificate. They asked why I did not graduate and got the GED, why I did so poorly, what I learned and how I applied what I learned? Thankfully I had better grades and my degree to back me up with physical proof.

I actually got selected today. :)

I wouldn't say 99% have a degree at all of the applicants. Or there are a lot of people selected out of that 1%. With a GED it is certainly proof that you can apply yourself academically when you get a college degree. However, I work with lots of junior warrants who do not have a completed degree. Its a benefit when applying but certainly not a requirement.

Ya I believe out of the 13 or so applicants picked up in May there were at least 2 or 3 without a degree. Not absolutely necessary but you need some other aspect to fill in that gap such as prior service or aviation experience etc. Something that shows an extended dedication and eventual completion of a goal in place of the degree.

I do have a GED and am in "negotiations" over a class that is keeping me from getting the actual Bachelor certificate. They asked why I did not graduate and got the GED, why I did so poorly, what I learned and how I applied what I learned? Thankfully I had better grades and my degree to back me up with physical proof.

I actually got selected today. :)

Cool Thanks!

CONGRATS BTW!!!!!!

I wouldn't say 99% have a degree at all of the applicants. Or there are a lot of people selected out of that 1%. With a GED it is certainly proof that you can apply yourself academically when you get a college degree. However, I work with lots of junior warrants who do not have a completed degree. Its a benefit when applying but certainly not a requirement.

I'm sure I just tell myself this to make me feel better. But I've always looked at my GED as evidence that I am a self-starter. The way I look at it is, most kids go strait to high scool after junior high because the law says they have to. And as long as they show up everyday, they are guaranteed a diploma.

In my case I left high school in the 9th grade, and received my GED that same year. I had to wake up one morning and go apply to take the test. The same way that I got up and went take the ACT's. The same way that I had to figure out on my own how to start college because they don't make that process easy for 17 year olds with GED's (need parent's signatures on things). The same way that I built a resume and got a job at an engineering firm at 18. Long before anyone I went to high school even graduated.