Visiting Heli-Tour Locations

So we all know that if you really want the job with a tour operator you should stop in, visit their location and show the initiative that you really want the job. Does anyone have any insight on when would be the best time to do that if you live cross country and can only afford one trip? I'll be honest, I tried last year at Heli-Success. I was in Vegas for the conference, used the opportunity to visit every tour operator and location and turn in resumes, and I got the same response everywhere I went "Oh look, here's another one."

These guys were seeing everyone who showed up for Heli-Success come through there door in a suit with a resume in hand. In addition to the visit, weekly phone calls, emails of updated resumes, and being over the minimum hour requirement, I never got a single interview or call back.

Obviously, I'll try again this year with more R22/R44 hours because there's a bottleneck of where CFIIs with 1000-2000 hours can get entry-level turbine jobs in order to build their career (which is really unfortunate when you think about it).

The reason for the post is this: I would really really love to go to Heli-Success again, but I think it's a bad time to try to get on with a tour operator and not get lost in the sea of faces they see. Does anyone know of a better time to try? Should I go earlier like in October before the season's over so I can meet all their pilots? Or should I go in December right before they start seriously looking at resumes to begin hiring in January?

Nothing beats a visit, showing up at a time other than Heli-success would at least help you stick out in their memory. As far as timing, hopefully some tour guys might chime in but unfortunately I think luck has a lot to do with it. Try networking with line pilots too, if you become friendly with one of them they might be able to get the chief to take a longer look at your resume. Knowing someone has helped me get every job I ever got, cold calls I was lucky to get a call/email response. Network, network, network!

Does anyone know of a better time to try?

In 5 years when all the Vietnam guys retire! :lol: ,...sorry just couldn't resist!

I'd say try during the off season, or near the end, when they're not flooded with pilots just like you?,...or maybe Alaska first?

I tried last year at Heli-Success. I was in Vegas for the conference, used the opportunity to visit every tour operator and location and turn in resumes, and I got the same response everywhere I went "Oh look, here's another one."

I know exactly how you feel! I've tried the same thing at Heliexpo too! Try going two weeks after the season officially starts. Maybe you can be there just in time to replace one of the new hires who washes out during training?

I know exactly how you feel! I've tried the same thing at Heliexpo too! Try going two weeks after the season officially starts. Maybe you can be there just in time to replace one of the new hires who washes out during training?

That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Do you think the companies have never had somebody wash out of training?!?

I think the best time to go is early January. You will have a better chance of having somebody show you around and time to talk with you.

That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Do you think the companies have never had somebody wash out of training?!?

I think the best time to go is early January. You will have a better chance of having somebody show you around and time to talk with you.

I just thought I'd mention it since one of the last interviews I had was because a couple of the new hires didn't work out and I just happen to inquire at that time.

I just thought I'd mention it since one of the last interviews I had was because a couple of the new hires didn't work out and I just happen to inquire at that time.

I didn't mean to sound short, I should have added a few lines. Yeah your right sometimes it does work out but talk about right time right place. I would shoot for January or before and just keep in contact. It's always a revolving door and you never know.

I didn't mean to sound short, I should have added a few lines. Yeah your right sometimes it does work out but talk about right time right place. I would shoot for January or before and just keep in contact. It's always a revolving door and you never know.

An old instructor of mine got his first job outside of teaching with PHI with just under 2000 hours. He spoke with them at Heliexpo (with around a billion others) yet a week later they called him and another week later he was gone! What made them chose him over all those others who applied that day? I knew him, he was just your average guy, one in a billion, like most of us. It really is just a crap shoot!