R22 HP Question

Hi I am new to the forum and I have a question that has me and a couple others baffled. I have a friend that is looking at buying an R22HP. The helicopter does not have an oil filter installed. According the the maintenance section in the R22 POH 8-6 "If no oil filter is installed change oil every 25 hours." I figured since this in the POH that it is mandatory. In the maintenance manual it says to refer to Lycoming mandatory service bulletin http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-bulletins/pdfs/SB480E.pdf.

I know service bulletins are not mandatory unless it is an AD according to the FAA. So what do you guys think, is it mandatory to do the 25 hour or can he just do 50 hour?

Thanks

25hrs and check/clean the screen. 50hr oil changes only with an oil filter installed. Same with the older real helicopters with an AirWolf installed, 25hr before then 50hr after putting on an AirWolf.

Related question for the engineers here:

In the R22, most change the oil every 25 hours (engine time) per recommendation.

In the R44, most people change every 50 hours collective time, which could easily be 70 or 80 hours engine time depending on usage.

Why is this? Is there really such a big difference between the two, or are we changing oil too often on the R22 and/or not enough on the R44?

Thanks for the responses. I agree I would change it every 25 also but in the FAA's eyes is it legal to not do the 25 hour? Also I noticed that certain sections in the R22 are approved by the FAA and some are not? This includes the maintenance section in the POH. What does this mean, I thought the whole POH was certified by the FAA?

Thanks

What you may be missing in the conversation is the fact that the R22HP does not have an oil filter installed, hence you change the oil every 25 hours. The R44 does have an oil filter, hence you change it every 50 hours.

Nothing wrong with the old HP as a time builder if you are down near 2-3000 feet MSL.

Thanks for the responses. I agree I would change it every 25 also but in the FAA's eyes is it legal to not do the 25 hour? Also I noticed that certain sections in the R22 are approved by the FAA and some are not? This includes the maintenance section in the POH. What does this mean, I thought the whole POH was certified by the FAA?

Thanks

No the FAA approves only the sections required by FARs to be in the Rotorcraft Flight Manual (RFM). The RFM is normally part of the POH, which also includes items like the servicing details and other performance data, etc. Those items are not required by regulation and the FAA is not required to approve them. However, the manufacturer feels it is important enough to put into the POH.

• Like 1