Advice on LoR's

I am still very new to this process (today makes a week that I have been researching WOFT packets) I am trying to put together the following before ever meeting with a recruiter.

-SF86 (Completed paper copy today, need to fill in a few blanks)

-Resume (Could this be my professional resume?)

-Essay (Working on rough draft)

-Transcripts

-(I am getting together some study material to prepare for the test)

-LoR's (MORE OF A LIST OF PEOPLE I WOULD HAVE WRITE THEM)

I have started a small list of people that I may consider approaching to see if they would write a LoR for me. My reason for a list and not actually getting the LoR's is to ensure that none expire while working on the rest of the packet. I was wondering if anyone would mind talking a look at my list so far and tell me if the potential writers would hold any merit.

The only two that I have so far that are actually close to me and would hold any merit in my packet are:

-Father-in-law (1stSGT NG 30+ years)

-VP of my dept.

In addition I have a list of people that I think I could get meetings with to interview me for a LoR:

-CEO of my company**

-Asst. Cheif Flight inst. for Bristow Academy**

-I have family in LE and they could potentially put me in touch with Sheriff/Cheif

-I have a friend that works a PHI (that I know has hired it's fair share of ex. warrants) that could potentially put me in touch with a CW or two.

** Are people that I have spoken to on occasion that I would consider approaching if people think their LoR would be a good addition to my packet.

I am actively searching Linkedin connections for connections to CW's and CO's in aviation. In addition, I am an FFL and that community consist of plenty of vets.

Typically you should strive to get a nice balance between people that know you very well and can speak to your character from years of experience around you and people that hold an important title. My packet consists of a few of both. I have a 160th SOAR CW5 LOR in there that only interviewed me for about two hours and I also have a letter from my flight instructor who has known me for 10+ years. I would also recommend submitting maybe 3-4 LORs unless you have more that are stellar. The board members most likely aren't going to spend time reading through 6 LORs and if they just pick up one that's just OK, they might make a judgment on all of them from that one LOR. Get a good balance with 3-4 really solid LORs and you should be good.

Typically you should strive to get a nice balance between people that know you very well and can speak to your character from years of experience around you and people that hold an important title. My packet consists of a few of both. I have a 160th SOAR CW5 LOR in there that only interviewed me for about two hours and I also have a letter from my flight instructor who has known me for 10+ years. I would also recommend submitting maybe 3-4 LORs unless you have more that are stellar. The board members most likely aren't going to spend time reading through 6 LORs and if they just pick up one that's just OK, they might make a judgment on all of them from that one LOR. Get a good balance with 3-4 really solid LORs and you should be good.

Thanks for the reply!

Your theory behind 3-4 lor's seems like a sound one, and I will certainly remember that.

Do you think that a letter from the 1SG is a good idea seeing that he is my father-in-law?

With the resume, use your professional resume. Make sure it is polished and looked over by someone. You want to emphasize any leadership type roles or initiatives you have had.

As far as how many, my opinion is similar to that of I3uller. I did have 6 and most of them were from people i knew well. One was from a congresswoman who i didnt know well and another from a CW4 pilot that interviewed me over the phone. The other 4 were all people who i have known for 10+ years. The congresswoman i got because i wanted to get 6 letters. I dont know how much it helped, if at all but I got selected so i guess it didnt hurt.

Personal letters are important because they speak to who you are. If the writers ask, i would ask them to focus on leadership traits they can speak to about you.

• Like 1

I understand that the Sargent isn't very high ranking, but he is the highest ranking person that I know that knows me on a personal level and can speak to my strengths.

In addition my boss (VP of Operations) is this only other "high up" person that actually knows me from more than a brief conversation, and can speak to my strengths.

Should I consider using these two along with a couple other aviation related references? Or should ask my father-in-law to put me in touch with a few CO's, and my friend to put me in touch with a few ret. warrants and try to get my LoR's from people that interview me?

No offense, but I doubt the 1SG would be of much weight. Not that E8 isn't a great career, but its not something that could really speak to the abilities of an officer, or pilot.

Not sure I can agree with this and it's surprising coming for a prior service guy. I think it would be safe to say that an E-8 has seen and worked closely with more than his share of officers and can absolutely speak from experience as to what does and doesn't work in an officer in the real world Army. He could easily relate that to qualities that the applicant has and make a strong LOR if written well. My main concern with using your father-in-law is that it might be too close to home.

Not sure I can agree with this and it's surprising coming for a prior service guy. I think it would be safe to say that an E-8 has seen and worked closely with more than his share of officers and can absolutely speak from experience as to what does and doesn't work in an officer in the real world Army. He could easily relate that to qualities that the applicant has and make a strong LOR if written well. My main concern with using your father-in-law is that it might be too close to home.

My other concern

How would you guys recommend getting LoR's from active duty aviators. This coming from a civi who cannot just walk into any hanger on base and strike up a conversation.

I am working with a friend who works for PHI and may be able to get me in touch with a Ret./HD CW, but that is still in the works, and at best I may only get in touch with a CW2-3(will these guys hold similar weight to a CW4 or 5?

I'm sure 1stSG can get me in touch with an officer or two, but him being in the national guard, and being from the middle of South Louisiana, I don't know if I will find an aviation officer, as his brigade does not have aviation.