Training by the hour

Does anyone see a problem with just buying flight instruction by the hour or hours. I know in the long run it would take longer to get the Private Pilot license, but with the closest school being two hours from me and needing to not quit my job while getting some lessons is their any downside to this in terms of actually learning?

Not at all. You do what you can. When I started flying I bought two hours a weekend and slowly chipped away. Keep your goals small. Just plan on getting to solo. Once you do that you will be on cloud nine and inspired to see it through. Do a lot of the cheap stuff when you can't fly like get a book and study for the written test. Read as many trade magazines as you can find about it.Imerse your head into it. Before you know it, your so addicted that making it happen seems natural. At one point I was so broke that I lived in the back seat of an old ford maverick to afford training. And had no complaints! Go for it and best of luck!

Thats exactly how I did it. I would go in a try to put down $500-$1000 though. That way your instructor can actually plan a little. And it will make it a little nicer for you too. As long as you can be consistent. If you are doing an hour per month.... I seriously wouldnt bother because youll never get there.

I tried both ways, 2 flights a day/5 days a week and just 2-3 flights a week. I found it difficult to get a sense of progression with the slower more drawn out training, and would get disscouraged, so eventually I just said f**k it, stopped training, saved up those funds, then took my two week vacation and hammered the rest out!

That's what I usually recommend. Save up enough to at least get to solo (at least 20hrs ~ $6,000-$7,000 or so) (in the mean time get the books/study/take the written test) then book 2 flights a day every day when your next 2 week vacation comes around. After you can solo, then maybe slow down to finish if you don't have the time?

The fact is I have the money saved up for maybe a solo ( around 10K), but I just don't know if I want to go to school for it. If I can take the classes local by a flight instructor if I can find one it would be a lot more convenient. Again, thanks for the responses.

The fact is I have the money saved up for maybe a solo ( around 10K), but I just don't know if I want to go to school for it. If I can take the classes local by a flight instructor if I can find one it would be a lot more convenient. Again, thanks for the responses.

Flight school isn't really a "school" in the traditional sense, with classrooms and a set semester type system. Sure there are "some" like that, but most ones I've been too are just a chopper or two sitting on the ramp. If you're lucky they have an "office" where you can do ground training (although it may just be a table in the corner of the hanger) but some are just "let's meet here for some ground" (one guy met me at a coffie shop, another at Burger King). Then you go to the airport and fly for an hour.

It sounds like maybe you are looking for a free-lance CFI with his own helicopter who can come to you? I don't know if they're out there, but I have read ads from airplane CFIs like that, so who knows?

Most Part 61 schools "should" do their best to accommodate you, it's not like you have a strict class schedule to meet like a university setting. They should do everything they can to schedule you when it's convenient to you, after all it is your money. Just do your homework and check the school out as much as you can. I don't know where you are located, but I'm sure that if you ask about a school on this forum that there will be someone that knows something about them. Like Flying Pig said, be sure to fly often enough for it to be beneficial to you, or you are throwing your hard earned money away. Ok, I am starting to sound like a mother hen! :)

Best of luck.

I'm located in North MS, about 90 miles from Memphis. As it looks the only school close to me is Upper Limit Aviation in West Memphis, Arkansas. I have just been under the impression that if I went to the school I would be there all day, unable to oversee the day to day operations of the business that I run. Thanks for shedding some light on the way the schools are set up.

It sounds like maybe you are looking for a free-lance CFI with his own helicopter who can come to you? I don't know if they're out there, but I have read ads from airplane CFIs like that, so who knows?

This free lance CFI with his own chopper could make a killing. As someone said maybe in the long run this might be something I look into doing:)

The way it works is you schedule time blocks (2.5 hrs), this includes .5hrs pre/post flt, 1hr flt, .5 ground. You look at the schedule and find a time when you, your instructor, and an aircraft are available. You can also schedule a block for just ground training if/when needed. I have not ran into many issues with availability so far. Trick is, schedule ahead of time, if you wait til the last minute all slots might be filled up. This info comes from my experience with Upper Limit Aviation in Salt Lake City Utah.

I'm located in North MS, about 90 miles from Memphis. As it looks the only school close to me is Upper Limit Aviation in West Memphis, Arkansas. I have just been under the impression that if I went to the school I would be there all day, unable to oversee the day to day operations of the business that I run. Thanks for shedding some light on the way the schools are set up.

I recently relocated to Central Mississippi and found myself in a similiar situation when looking for a flight school. It was/is logistically impossible for me to attend a Part-141 school while being employed full-time, having a full-time working wife and raising our 2 kids (ages 2 & 5). There is a small Part-61 school here in Madison, MIssissippi, where I am now taking my lessons (R44). Presently has 1 ship, but in the process of adding 2 more. Don't know if that's closer for you than Memphis or if it fulfills your needs, but I can vouch for the instructor as being very knowledgeable, accomodating and overall squared away. Hope this helps.

Stay safe!

Ps: 1st post so apologies if I didn't follow proper protocol.