A rather difficult situation

KP49

Hello everyone, relatively new guy here. I've spent countless hours reading material here, but have never posted before.

So I'm hoping I can get some advice from some CFI's out there!

I'll try to keep this short.

I've recently come into an opportunity that I first thought would be in my favor. However, I am now unsure whether or not I may have hurt my chances of furthering my career in aviation.

I have just finished up A&P school and have been hired on as a mechanic at a flight school about 5 minutes from my home. I still live with my parents and live miserly to save my money. I plan to have 100k saved in 3 or so years to dump into getting up to a CFII. So you could say I literally eat sleep and breath nothing but helicopters. I've been carefully planning for the past 4 years how to approach my goal of becoming a helicopter pilot and I feel like I'm so close and I've come all this way, so why quit now?

My plan was to work as a maintenance guy for a flight school, I figured this would be a good way to get my foot in the door. I'd then get all my ratings and while working as a mechanic, I could wait for an opening as a full time CFI with the school, or try to work out an arrangement to do some instructing part time while still working maintenance...

The problem I'm afraid I might face is leaving my maintenance job, as I would more than likely not be able to get it back.
I'm also worried about any other unforeseen conflicts between working as both an instructor and a mechanic.

I'm learning tons about r22's, 44's, and 66's. We are plenty busy with 100hr inspections and overhauls. I plan to get my private license soon to do maintenance flights with, But before I invest nearly 80k or more to get all my ratings, I'm not sure how to go about "asking" for a possible spot as a CFI once I finish.

Any suggestions? Thank you for reading!

• Like 2

It is perfectly possible to be both a mechanic and a pilot. Being a pilot will make you a better mechanic, and being a mechanic will make you a better pilot. You will be valuable to your school in both capacities and they would be fools not to hire you as an instructor. When things get slow, you can also turn wrenches. What's the problem here? You really think you are going to be cutting yourself out of a job? You will have a leg up on any other competition! Continue with your plan. Sounds like you have it under control. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say you're much better off having your A&P while going through flight school. Working at a school as a mech means the higher ups at the school are going to know you very well. If you're a good employee why wouldn't they want you as an instructor when you get all your ratings?

• Like 1

Having both can work to your advantage or it could work to your disadvantage. It really depends on the employer. I have seen guys hired to do both and they spend most of their time turning wrenches. Others have made it work out. The worst case is flying full time and having to turn wrenches at night. For no extra pay.

On the other hand the tuna boat operators like pilots with A&Ps. Your plan is a reasonably good plan, however, know what you are jumping into.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I agree with the other posts that said they would be crazy not to hire you. Especially if you show a good work ethic as an A&P with them. I would love to get my A&P, I really think it would help in the long run.. I know it would if I was the employer looking at several resumes of pilots with almost identical quals. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck.

Hello everyone, relatively new guy here. I've spent countless hours reading material here, but have never posted before.

So I'm hoping I can get some advice from some CFI's out there!

I'll try to keep this short.

I've recently come into an opportunity that I first thought would be in my favor. However, I am now unsure whether or not I may have hurt my chances of furthering my career in aviation.

I have just finished up A&P school and have been hired on as a mechanic at a flight school about 5 minutes from my home. I still live with my parents and live miserly to save my money. I plan to have 100k saved in 3 or so years to dump into getting up to a CFII. So you could say I literally eat sleep and breath nothing but helicopters. I've been carefully planning for the past 4 years how to approach my goal of becoming a helicopter pilot and I feel like I'm so close and I've come all this way, so why quit now?

My plan was to work as a maintenance guy for a flight school, I figured this would be a good way to get my foot in the door. I'd then get all my ratings and while working as a mechanic, I could wait for an opening as a full time CFI with the school, or try to work out an arrangement to do some instructing part time while still working maintenance...

The problem I'm afraid I might face is leaving my maintenance job, as I would more than likely not be able to get it back.

I'm also worried about any other unforeseen conflicts between working as both an instructor and a mechanic.

I'm learning tons about r22's, 44's, and 66's. We are plenty busy with 100hr inspections and overhauls. I plan to get my private license soon to do maintenance flights with, But before I invest nearly 80k or more to get all my ratings, I'm not sure how to go about "asking" for a possible spot as a CFI once I finish.

Any suggestions? Thank you for reading!

Throughout my career, I’ve known a number of full-time mechanics who became part-time instructors who eventually became full-time instructors/career pilots. In fact, you’re pretty much golden entering into this business as a mechanic. However, don’t take it for granted. That is, use your time as a mechanic as an opportunity to showcase your talent as an employee. If you do it right, a CFI spot will no doubt be yours……

Furthermore, as you progress through your career, it becomes increasingly difficult to do both tasks, although not impossible. Simply put, don’t be just another pilot who has an A&P who never picks up a tool. With that, my A&P cert has definitely kept me gainfully employed over the years and, in my opinion, gave me a distinct advantage during the hiring process. In the long term, you will have that same advantage but again, don’t abuse it……..

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

Don't ask for a pilot slot after you finish your training. That's ridiculous.

Ask for it before.

Let the school know exactly what you're doing and why, and what your intentions are. No surprises. Get your ground instructor certification out of the way now; get useful by helping to teach ground school classes, and get your head into the explanation mode of teaching. It's good for you in two ways; it helps you bone up on what you need to know, and it makes you more valuable, visible, and useful.

Don't wait until the last minute to begin guessing; know in advance and let the school know in advance what your agenda may be.

Same farther down the line when you hire on as a copilot somewhere. Let them know that you came on board to be a captain. Companies look for direct, honest individuals who aim high. Be one of those.

• Like 2

Don't ask for a pilot slot after you finish your training. That's ridiculous.

Ask for it before.

Let the school know exactly what you're doing and why, and what your intentions are. No surprises. Get your ground instructor certification out of the way now; get useful by helping to teach ground school classes, and get your head into the explanation mode of teaching. It's good for you in two ways; it helps you bone up on what you need to know, and it makes you more valuable, visible, and useful.

Don't wait until the last minute to begin guessing; know in advance and let the school know in advance what your agenda may be.

Same farther down the line when you hire on as a copilot somewhere. Let them know that you came on board to be a captain. Companies look for direct, honest individuals who aim high. Be one of those.

This is great advice. From someone who came from an educators background, be a good ground instructor first. When you spend that time honing your teaching skills it will pay off in the helicopter because you will learn the dynamics of what works and what doesn't on the ground. I had 2 instructors during my training that really had a crappy way of explaining things and as a student that is half the battle. You being an A&P makes your understanding that much deeper so you should be able to explain things a great deal better than those without.

I also agree that you are over thinking it, you'll see that you won't get anywhere in the business without being forthright and asking for what you want. The worst thign that can happen is someone says no, then you pick yourself up and find another way to achieve your objective!

Good luck!