Sitting around the camp fire...

I didn't start flying until 2003, but I've got you beat, $185/hr for an R22B also in California. Of course if you want to reminisce about the "good old days" pre 911, I miss being able to go all the way to the gate to wait for an arriving flight, and being able to go through security with my shoes on and a can of coke in my hand!

Oh well. :D

6 year obligation with promised alternate years in exotic climes- cancelled after 2 years, 9 months and 10 days, due to lack of interest They did get a year, 3 days in-country out of me.

Instructed, school charged $125 hour in 1982.

I didn't start flying until 2003, but I've got you beat, $185/hr for an R22B also in California. Of course if you want to reminisce about the "good old days" pre 911, I miss being able to go all the way to the gate to wait for an arriving flight, and being able to go through security with my shoes on and a can of coke in my hand!

Oh well. :D

So true!

• 2 weeks later...

1982 $120 an hour for a 300C, wet, with an instructor in California.....

Yepp, the R22 was $85 an hour in 1986.....New ones were 80K....Watson Helicopters, KWHP.

I just wrapped up my training and we are charged wet with instructor $260 an hour for the R22 BII. Our R44 I believe is $430 but the invoices hurt to look at so I try not to! Lol.

What I do know is theres a house out there I don't own now, however I do have a shiny new green card in my wallet! They cost about the same haha.

I didn't pay for my training, Uncle Sam did that, but I remember paying $8/hour, wet, for a Piper Cherokee 140. That included gas, oil, and everything else. Of course, that was before most of those on this forum were even a gleam in their father's eye. Late '60's. And that was a lot of money for me at the time. After I was commissioned, I was making ~$300/month as an O-1. But I started making jump pay soon after, and that was $110/month, and after a year and a half or so, I started making flight pay, which was also $110/month, More money than I had ever seen or thought of. Things change.

• Like 1