VA shut down flight programs?

So the program I am/was enrolled in has been shut down indefinitely at Aims Community College. I have heard that there are students from other schools calling here asking to transfer for the same reason.

Can anyone substantiate this for me? Are you at a school that has had the rug pulled out from under you like this?

I am going to call some schools around the country tomorrow to see if they are taking VA students, but thought I would ask here as well.

The School I am attending had to put a stop to veterans enrolling for a bit. The reason is that the VA has a cap/ratio requirement for any course. That is the maximum VA funded to private pay can not exceed 85/15. Schools weren't paying attention to this and someone caught it.

Other than that I haven't heard about any shut downs for about a year, when rumors were being spread that the VA was looking into 2 year degree programs.

That's exactly the reason it got shut down. I'm sure if the school had asked for a waiver from the VA allowing them to surpass the 85% threshold, there would be a problem. But for the school to just keep enrolling vets, it looks to the VA like they are using them as a bankroll.

They have really left us students in limbo and will not give us any real info as to what to expect, and we need to make decisions here. I have one class left for my degree, and the flight classes for CFI and Instrument and I'm done. Pretty far into it to be told I can not continue.

Very misleading title and post. Being shut down because the school isn't adhering to the 85/15 rule and being shut down for other reasons are completely different.

The easy answer to your problem is to move on. Unfortunately, being that close to finishing and not to mention the costs incurred from moving etc... I completely understand that it isn't quite that easy.

My school is still up and running, thriving and expanding.

I don't think it's misleading at all. The VA shut down the program, and I am wondering if it is going on elsewhere. That's what the question mark implies too.

And how is my post misleading? I expanded on the title by explaining what is happening. Did you expect an entire paragraph for the title?

I also wasn't looking for an answer to my problem. I'm a grown man, and am exploring all available options. I wasn't looking for guidance on what to do next, I want to know if this is a problem that is occurring anywhere besides my school.

Guess I just answered a question that didn't get asked. Oh well. As far as the misleading part, your second post implies you already knew why it got shut down, so there's really nothing to substantiate, in my opinion. You know what they say about opinions though...

Based on the title and first post, I was under the impression that they just shut it down for an unknown reason that wasn't preventable, like funding getting pulled or something like that.

I think my misunderstanding stemmed from the previous conversations/threads I've had/read talking about how the VA can't keep it up forever. Made me go into the thread with an ill-conceived notion of them pulling plugs.

For your sake, and others, I hope they get it back up and running soon though. That 15% can be a difficult one to maintain.

With full knowledge of what you meant and what you are trying to find out, I'm curious as well.

I am worried about some of the same things with this. I have wondered when the entire thing will get cut, and with all the budget cuts looming, I wouldn't be surprised if this one sees the axe. I have heard that this program kind of comes and goes, and always felt lucky that I hit it at just the right time. Now I'm worried that since they took it away temporarily, they might just decide to make it permanent......and expand that idea nationally.

Maybe I'm thinking too much and need to give it a little more time to work out, but I need a plan B, and C, and............

I do think it will be up again this spring, but that might just be my extreme optimism speaking.

I'll post again whenever a change occurs, but I'd still like to hear from people at other schools if they are having this issue. Glad your school is doing well, maybe that's part of the answer to my question?

Whiteshadow,

Did they shut your whole program down? They should have just had to get within the 85/15 ratio, that's what happened with SLCC. Unfortunately they had to turn new students away and/or come up with an alternative. Some chose to go into the FW program and wait for slots to open. Any college program is subject to this restriction, it just effects the flight programs the most, especially right now with the economy in the dumps.

...I need a plan B, and C, and............

You said you have one class left for your degree?

Plan B - Just take that class paying for it yourself, then find a job using that degree! Then finish your ratings when you save up some money.

Plan C - Forego the instrument for now. Get your CFI paying for it yourself, then try to find work as a CFI.

Just a thought...?

• Like 1

Gary-Mike, they shut both the FW and Heli sides down. The FW is back up and running, which gives me a lot of hope. One of the problems is that neither side will tell us exactly what is going on, and they are afraid to give us a timeline as to when we can expect it to return. They are saying that legally they can not say anything. I can't stand that kind of crap. How about just do the right thing and keep the students informed so we can make these important decisions?

Eagle5, definitely options I am looking at. Believe me, I'm not just kicking back until this gets sorted out. I am building classes and practicing teaching to keep focused on my CFI stuff, and will gladly pay for the checkride and a few flights myself if that's what it takes. FRH holds great free classes 3 times a week for people working on CFI to practice teaching to each other. Once I feel like I can give good presentations I will go up for checkride.

As for the degree, I can't just do my instrument ground and get my degree. The 2 flights I need (CFI and Instrument) are classes towards the degree as well.

So basically, your Plan C is what I'm working on right now.

• 4 weeks later...

The programs that rely on the GI bill are very strictly monitored by the attached college, the flight provider and especially the VA. It could be as easy as the 85/15% ratio, or there may have been anomalies in the practices of the school that caused the school to be flagged. If the ratio is the problem, the school should be able to continue without accepting new VA students.

This doesn't seem to be the case though, as you are a currently enrolled student who should be able to continue if all is on the up and up. I know very little about your situation, or the school you attend, so I wouldn't mar it's image, but I'd be looking at schools that don't get shut down- that's usually the first sign of more bad news to come. There are some great schools and degree programs that would still accept you.