Aircraft Pictures

Yep, we flew that flag for a cav scout who was on patrol that day. After we took that picture and arrived on station with those guys we pulled the flag out again and flew it over their heads. It was pretty fun.

The first picture was a candid shot during preflight. I had no idea my buddy was taking it. In both cases the pictures turned out a lot better than expected.

You always wear a Stetson during preflight?

No it was our movement as a troop from Bagram to where we currently are. We were wearing our Stetsons because it was our first flight in country aside from CCTs and MTFs and they sure as hell weren't going to be packed away in the back of a Blackhawk.

Edited by SBuzzkill

No it was our movement as a troop from Bagram to where we currently are. We were wearing our Stetsons because it was our first flight in country aside from CCTs and MTFs and they sure as hell weren't going to be packed away in the back of a Blackhawk.

I knew that ramp looked familiar. Good photos man!

1391935_10152014963977577_958015094_n.jpPresidential Squadron helo doing lifts

That's a former HMX-1 CH-53E. HMX-1 got rid of the 53s a few years ago. Our 53s did not have the modex, or aircraft number, 19 in this instance, on the left side of the aircraft. The 53s were modexes 30-35 at HMX. These belong to HMT-302 from what I understand now and have new numbers for that squadron, the CH-53E pilot and aircrew training squadron on MCAS New River. The UT on the tail pylon also designates it is an HMT-302 aircraft.

Not sure if many people know these 53s left HMX-1 outside of the CH-53 community and the Marines stationed on the flightline at New River.

That's a former HMX-1 CH-53E. HMX-1 got rid of the 53s a few years ago. Our 53s did not have the modex, or aircraft number, 19 in this instance, on the left side of the aircraft. The 53s were modexes 30-35 at HMX. These belong to HMT-302 from what I understand now and have new numbers for that squadron, the CH-53E pilot and aircrew training squadron on MCAS New River. The UT on the tail pylon also designates it is an HMT-302 aircraft.

Not sure if many people know these 53s left HMX-1 outside of the CH-53 community and the Marines stationed on the flightline at New River.

Imma take you're word on that because you just said a bunch of fancy numbers haha. But ya, that makes sense. We typically see most of our birds come from New River that are the pilots still in flight school.

I'm in the DC Guard now, waiting for the first drill then I can inquire about flying. Speaking of New River, I was just there this weekend. That place has changed, indoor pool and a few new massive hangars! I'm kinda upset I didn't re up for crew chief ( thats aircrew/non rated flyers for the other branches)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for that because I was confused as to why we were using a Hip.

tl;dr

My Combat Vehicle ID class apparently taught me nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I never got one of those. Never really cared enough to ask.

Yep, never used one in the 60 either. Not sure how the wind is in the 58 but in the 60 it doesn't hit the mic and the mic doesn't pick up the wind noise anyway. It's loud in there but has nothing to do with mic noise. Only people who really needed them were the crew chiefs when they stick their head out the window. Even then if they yell I could still hear them fine. Never had a problem with flying debris in the cockpit either.

I was told we used to have a guy who worked EMS for the company I currently work for who was flying around with a face plate with fangs painted on. Imagine picking up a patient with a stupid face plate with fangs. He was told to stop wearing it but he still continued so they fired his ass.

Edited by Velocity173