GA Helicopters

I know the vast majority of you guys on this forum are professional pilots who fly for a career. I wanted to gauge how many of us are there that fly just for the privilege of flying...whether you rent an R22 on the weekends or your own your own ship. I proudly own and fly a 2002 EC-130B4 that I just put through a 12 year, glass panel upgrade, and paint. I love it to death. Anyone else do this for fun?

EC130B4NNlowres.jpg

• Like 6

We live in our hangar at Santa Paula Airport, where the West is still wild. The first couple of nights after we got her I would get up in the middle of the night to check on her, and have to pinch myself that it was real!

Edited by Little Red 22
  • Like 1

Me too! After first flying a true R22 (no governor) in 1983, it was 25 years of renting, driving 200 miles round trip to fly 1.0 once or twice a month...and saving every nickel until 2008 when my wife and I bought our Beta II....it's been 5 yrs and 600 hrs of pure bliss. It was worth hard work and worth the wait!

Ok, so what kind of living does a guy have to do to own a 130 for the fun of it???

One were he sells lots of widgets for a very long time to be able to start another company that also sells even more widgets for a very long time to finally start a company that sells very few widgets and allows a little more free time so he can focus on a passion of flying that he has had since a boy... ;)

Anyway...here's a photo of the panel. I am waiting patiently for the STC to come out so I can install a GTN 650 in place of the 430W and a GTN 750 down below in the pedestal. Please don't remind me that already many others EC-130's have GTN's installed without STC's by using field approvals. Call me unlucky or whatever but my local FSDO will not do a field approval without at least a follow on STC for another helicopter model.

panel.jpg

• Like 1

More photos:

Ready for a morning flight in typical Bay Area overcast.

ec130b4.jpg

Finally got rid of that crappy Eurocopter strobe that has gotten dim over the years. Removed 1.2 lbs from the tail area. New weight and balance sure needed after that. The Whelen LED strobe is like looking into the sun!

ledstrobe.jpg

And finally my copilot Minka and I performing one of the best dry washes in the industry in my humble opinion. My airport doesn't allow washing so I've become quite the dry-wash expert.

minka.jpg

• Like 2

I like the helipad there.

Why? What's to like? Middle of no where...half of the lights are burnt out. What do you fly into Napa? Between me, another R44 on the north end of the field, and the CHP we are the only helicopters based there. We are also slightly above pavement grease in the pecking order of aircraft...it's a highly fixed wing dominated airport. If I rarely ever land near the main ramp to pick someone up I put one skid parallel the grass at the furthest point from the terminal. I'll still invariably get the "Do you really have to land so close with that thing?" If only we could be like Hayward (Heliward) were everyone loves helicopters between the news channels and helicopter schools. Anyone else fly into Napa?

Why? What's to like? Middle of no where...half of the lights are burnt out. What do you fly into Napa? Between me, another R44 on the north end of the field, and the CHP we are the only helicopters based there. We are also slightly above pavement grease in the pecking order of aircraft...it's a highly fixed wing dominated airport. If I rarely ever land near the main ramp to pick someone up I put one skid parallel the grass at the furthest point from the terminal. I'll still invariably get the "Do you really have to land so close with that thing?" If only we could be like Hayward (Heliward) were everyone loves helicopters between the news channels and helicopter schools. Anyone else fly into Napa?

Before they put in that helipad I used to have to do cock-eyed patterns to the numbers, and although I still have to do a cock-eyed pattern, I just like landing to a spot a lot more than a runway!

I've always found them pretty friendly at Napa, although I just go there once in a blue moon, and this time a year there's generally nobody around since I'm usually there at night! Haven't noticed any lights out at the pad, but it has been a while since I've been there?

I fly there in a 22, at night I use the pad, but during the day I just go to the South Ramp (seems more out of the way when they're busy). Never had a problem, but as I said, I'm not up there very often!

Thanks. I believe less is more on the EC-130. Advanced Helicopter Services in Woodland, CA did the entire job. A flawless experience start to finish from a group of people who only do things the right way.

Is that airport still dead? I hangared a helicopter down from those guys a few years ago, wasn't much going on, almost every big hangar was empty.