Enstrom 480B in Colorado

• 3 weeks later...

I fly mine all the time. Never had a problem doing anything and everything my heart desires.

Mountains - no problem

Heat - no problem

Performance and hovering - no problem

I have flown on days where density altitude was 10,000 feet - no problem.

I have always carried plenty of fuel and usually have two or three passengers.

Tom

Thanks Tom for your reply. Do you have any negatives or other praises you would like to share about the 480? Obviously performance is the most important factor considering our environment here in Colorado, so it's good to hear that it can hold it's own, but I would like to know your feelings on the overall experience, since you have had your helo for some time know. I don't remember for sure, but weren't you on here asking about the R44 or 66? I thought at that time, you might be considering changing A/c, and if so, why? What A/c did you consider before settling on the 480? When you say mountains, no problem, are you landing or just flying around?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom for your reply. Do you have any negatives or other praises you would like to share about the 480? Obviously performance is the most important factor considering our environment here in Colorado, so it's good to hear that it can hold it's own, but I would like to know your feelings on the overall experience, since you have had your helo for some time know. I don't remember for sure, but weren't you on here asking about the R44 or 66? I thought at that time, you might be considering changing A/c, and if so, why? What A/c did you consider before settling on the 480? When you say mountains, no problem, are you landing or just flying around?

Nothing to do with the 480B flying in mountains, but my thoughts on the 480B in general can be found here.

http://www.justhelicopters.com/LinkClick.aspx?link=http%3a%2f%2fcontent.yudu.com%2fLibrary%2fA1v4zc%2fRotorcraftPro0112%2fresources%2findex.htm%3freferrerUrl%3dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.free.yudu.com%252Fitem%252Fdetails%252F455547%252FRotorcraft-Pro_0112%253Fedit_mode%253Don&tabid=420&mid=1050&forcedownload=true

Thanks Goldy, for sharing that article. I am curious as to why these A/c are not more utilized here in the US. What is your opinion?

I love the 480, but the seating configuration sucks. If it was better sorted out as far as the way the cockpit was setup it would make it a lot more friendly bird to own and use in a commercial operation, but lets face it, there are birds out there that have a nice neat seating configuration that make them more marketable. I am a big fan of Enstrom's but I wish they put a little more into the astehtic side of the helicopter.

Thanks Goldy, for sharing that article. I am curious as to why these A/c are not more utilized here in the US. What is your opinion?

My opinion is simply availability of service. Without a lot of A&E's that have experience on the type, you rely on "factory service centers".......none of which are in the west coast that I know of. It's a chicken/egg kinda thing, but if the investment was made for 10 service centers added all over the US, it would be a much easier sale. I loved the simplicty of the 480B, and the room inside. Maybe come out with a 480 C model, a little lighter, and a newer more efficient turbine? That would be cool!