Letters of recommendation example

Does anyone have some examples of letters of recommendation that you've used in your packet. I've been instructed to write my own letters and submit them for signature to my Battalion Commander. This was his instruction. I have started writing them but I'm afraid I'll come off as overhyping myself or arrogant. Any help with this would be great. Thank you.

Hey Pathfinder,

As weird as it is to write your own letters of recommendation, that's kind of an Army standard. A lot of guys I know that need recommendation letters are asked to write them for themselves and then their "recommender" signs the signature block.

I don't have any examples, but try writing your letters initially in first person perspective as if you were to be writing a letter explaining why you feel you should be considered. Then, go back and revise it into third person. That way, you're not writing the letter while trying to fit someone else's voice.

Hope this helps!

Sorry I do not have an example either. However some advice since I was also instructed to write five letters myself, which is hard to not make them all sound the same. It was explained to me that I should write them myself because I care more for my career then anyone else, as well as I know my job better.

1) These days everyone deploys. Therefor write about things that set you apart such as additional duties, leadership experience and any awards that you may have.

2) Have several people read over it and suggest changes (platoon leader, senior and junior warrant officers, company commander)

3) Dont be afraid of working yourself up too much. Write it to best you can and listen to anyone's suggestions.

We are our most critical evaluator. Therefore, we also are best suited at modestly tooting our own horn in these examples.

Don't come off as arrogant. However, do come off as sure, confident, and solid. Write it as if you were recommending your best instructor for their next job. Then make it your name.

Keep the specifics about you, only your own. Write the compliments like you would like to hear. If it makes you puke...its over the top. If it makes you blush just a touch and you want to humbly say thank you....its perfect.

Read it out loud while staring at yourself in a mirror. You should be able to keep eye contact if its good.

• Like 1

Solid advice. Thank you for that. On a seperate note. How hard do you think they scrutinize 1059s? I don't have negative ones, but they all don't commandants list. That just makes me wonder.

We are our most critical evaluator. Therefore, we also are best suited at modestly tooting our own horn in these examples.

Don't come off as arrogant. However, do come off as sure, confident, and solid. Write it as if you were recommending your best instructor for their next job. Then make it your name.

Keep the specifics about you, only your own. Write the compliments like you would like to hear. If it makes you puke...its over the top. If it makes you blush just a touch and you want to humbly say thank you....its perfect.

Read it out loud while staring at yourself in a mirror. You should be able to keep eye contact if its good.

• Like 2