Bell 47 Anyone?

Anyone know of a school that uses a Bell 47 in Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, or California?

If you like the B47, you should already know about this site:http://www.bell47helicopterassociation.org/BELL%2047%20INSTRUCTION.HTM

Used to be a school out of Chino, CA that flew the B47..not sure if he still does.

Chino California is Mike Zemlock...Zemlock Helicopter Service..... not sure either if he's still going..I'm pretty sure he is.

909-597-8546

In Oregon you could check with Wild Horse Helicopters in Pendelton and see if they'll do instruction.

Edited by apiaguy

Well I learned in a Bell 47 G 3 B-1 out in Albany, OR, that was back in 1982. Hardly anybody uses them for flight instruction anymore, Use to see a few for sale in Trade A Plane not anymore. The machine is suppose to go back into production. So there might be new ones again. The 47 has been out of production since 1967 time frame, Bell wanted to sell 206's at that time you could buy a 206 for around 85K. A lot of money back then. They are an expensive machine to operate. The last one I flown was in Alaska, he still has it but its been run out for a number of years says he is going over haul it, but parts are becoming hard to find and expensive.

Funny... I hear these lines all the time "expensive machine to operate"... just not true... cheaper than an R44 depending on the model...

Also the Bell 47 line was shut down in 1974

Hardly anybody uses them for flight instruction anymore because the R22 and S300 cost less to operate.

Chino California is Mike Zemlock...Zemlock Helicopter Service..... not sure either if he's still going..I'm pretty sure he is.

909-597-8546

In Oregon you could check with Wild Horse Helicopters in Pendelton and see if they'll do instruction.

Yeah, I know Mike is flying powerlines quite a bit, and I think he sold at least one B47 a few years ago....but not sure either if he is still doing instruction. He's also a DPE.

Got my 47J2-A from Mike a few years ago...still flying it in Maryland currently

Ahhh, you're the guy that bought that one! I think he still had a D or G model as well. I love the J model, very unique design.

Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford BC has five 47's they use for flight instruction as well as the BH06 and R44.

http://chinookhelicopters.com/#aircraft_fleet

Bell 47 G2 - Piston
bell_47_g2.jpg

All of our

students

have commented favourably on both our use of the throttle controlled Bell 47 helicopters for training and our policy of completing no less than 200 touchdown autorotations with each student. Our fleet of five Bell 47's assure helicopter availability to the students even while part of the fleet is undergoing maintenance. Most helicopter operators positively endorse the use of the Bell 47 for training because of its larger size and because it is a more acceptable training platform from which to advance to the working turbine helicopter. Because of the low power to high weight ratio of the Bell 47 students must learn to be very accurate at controlling the helicopter, which results in a greatly increased skill and proficiency level.

At Chinook we really enjoy flying the Bell 47's for training. All of our high time charter pilots who instruct with us fully support their use as an effective training platform which more than adequately prepares students for work in the helicopter industry. At Chinook you will learn to autorotate the Bell 47 to full engine off contact with the ground. Aircraft maintenance engineer experts Kevin Peters, Roger Bellavance and Robin Ostertag continuously inspect and thoroughly maintain our entire helicopter fleet.

i know some one in Florida that might give training in a D-1 over the winter if there is enough interest.

That will teach you some power management!