Day/Night

eagle5

Since each 10th on the hobbs is 6 minutes, if you were to takeoff 3 minutes before twilight on an hour flight, would you round up and log it as 1.0 night, or round down as .1 day/.9 night?

I know, this is trivial, but this forum has been so military dominant lately, and I'm running out of ideas! :)

IF I was in the military I would round up then down due to actual flight time not hobbs... so.... 2.9 night

If I was in a robbie I would subtract .1 from the total flight due to the hobbs being on the engine oil pressure so .9 night no day.

If I hadn't been reading VR so much I would have logged it all as night 1.0...... the sun went down a long time ago.

Edited by apiaguy

Since each 10th on the hobbs is 6 minutes, if you were to takeoff 3 minutes before twilight on an hour flight, would you round up and log it as 1.0 night, or round down as .1 day/.9 night?

I know, this is trivial, but this forum has been so military dominant lately, and I'm running out of ideas! :)

I would walk slower to the helicopter

• Like 1

You flew in the daytime. More than zero, so that makes it .1 day, and the rest is night, whether it is .9 or .8 with the dopey rules regarding the meters.

Same if you are instrument flying and pass through a cloud, you are flying solely with reference to the instruments, so the minimum actual logged is .1 but you don't log that .1 every time you pop through a cloud - you have merely opened your score, and after you pass a further 8 minutes inside the clouds (another 20 little Cu?) it becomes .2 logged.

Also, keep in mind that night time varies. You can legally log night time even though you can't use that time for currency. The time when you can start logging night time is not the same as when you can use the time for night currency. There are at least three definition of twilight, and none of them correspond precisely to the time when your night takeoffs count for currency.

But like others, I think the solution is to just take a little longer to get cranked up and into the air.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Also, keep in mind that night time varies. You can legally log night time even though you can't use that time for currency. The time when you can start logging night time is not the same as when you can use the time for night currency. There are at least three definition of twilight, and none of them correspond precisely to the time when your night takeoffs count for currency.

But like others, I think the solution is to just take a little longer to get cranked up and into the air.

And with those varying definitions you can log about a half hour of night while carrying passengers without being night current for them!