Secret Security Clearance

So what happens if you are selected, got to BCT and then are turned down for some reason before WOCS?

Just had a phone interview with the security lady today and she said everything should be fine. She also mentioned that I may have an investigator contact me to set up a time to speak as well to verify everything. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just had a phone interview with the security lady today and she said everything should be fine. She also mentioned that I may have an investigator contact me to set up a time to speak as well to verify everything. Has anyone else experienced this?

Let me give you a little "inside" look at the process for the clearance. This is from 9 years assigned to Internal Affairs (OPR) of a federal law enforcement agency and having conducted over 100 full field background investigation and over 75 "spin" sub-investigations.

A: You will be provided with an SF-86 Form (paper) or user name & password to complete it online (I will assume you do it online)

B: You fill out the SF-86 form online and mark it complete and send it

C: A processor will be assigned to complete all of the "electronic checks" that are available (credit, requesting college transcripts, DLs, criminal records checks and anything that can be done or verified thru/over the internet

D: An investigator will be assigned shortly there after to start the field part

E: The investigator will receive your package from the assigning office and start his review

F: Most likely the investigator will meeting you and have your sign a couple of forms and to have you "verify" your paperwork and most likely initial each page of a printed SF-86 Form

G: The investigator is required to visit the communities you lived and to interview your references and past employers to verify the information you provided (understand the investigator(s) may send mail or e-mail requests for some of these items but most likely will do most they can in person)

H: The investigator is required to get three (3) unlisted references called "unannounced references", that they find by walking up to people, going to colleges or "greek" houses, going to churches, court-houses, police departments, county fairs, stores or anyplace they can to locate people that know you

I: Now, if you have lived in different towns, states, or countries other investigators will be requested to complete those areas for the primary investigator. Today this is very common and the network of investigators is large and usually adds a little time to the process, not bad though.

J: If during the process the investigator can not verify or needs further info from you they can call you or meet with you for clarification. Do not worry about that it is most likely due to not locating something or someone and will just request something.

K: The investigator has guidelines as to what he needs to have as follow-up if they find something of concern, this may or may not involve contacting you, at this point.

L: All of the investigator(s)'s will upload their respective reports and findings into their system with in the their required time frame

The field investigation is complete.

Your package will be reviewed by reviewers to see if the investigation has uncovered anything that gives a "red flag." If not, the completed package will be forwarded to the "adjudication panel" of security clearances for final determination.

If the investigation did uncover any "red flags" the package will be assigned to a "Spin" investigator for their follow-up look into the "flag" areas. The "Spin" investigator more than likely will be contacting you for some clarification.

After the "spin" is completed the package will be returned to the adjudication panel for their final approval or not.

Disclamer: I am now retired and the process has probably been modified in light of the recent public disclosures we have all seen in the news. I would suspect that nothing is any quicker or easier since.

This information is provided as a general guide and not to be used as fact.

This process is NOT to be feared, it is just the way it is in the times we live.

Good luck to all. PM me if you have any questions.

edspilot

Let me give you a little "inside" look at the process for the clearance. This is from 9 years assigned to Internal Affairs (OPR) of a federal law enforcement agency and having conducted over 100 full field background investigation and over 75 "spin" sub-investigations.

A: You will be provided with an SF-86 Form (paper) or user name & password to complete it online (I will assume you do it online)

B: You fill out the SF-86 form online and mark it complete and send it

C: A processor will be assigned to complete all of the "electronic checks" that are available (credit, requesting college transcripts, DLs, criminal records checks and anything that can be done or verified thru/over the internet

D: An investigator will be assigned shortly there after to start the field part

E: The investigator will receive your package from the assigning office and start his review

F: Most likely the investigator will meeting you and have your sign a couple of forms and to have you "verify" your paperwork and most likely initial each page of a printed SF-86 Form

G: The investigator is required to visit the communities you lived and to interview your references and past employers to verify the information you provided (understand the investigator(s) may send mail or e-mail requests for some of these items but most likely will do most they can in person)

H: The investigator is required to get three (3) unlisted references called "unannounced references", that they find by walking up to people, going to colleges or "greek" houses, going to churches, court-houses, police departments, county fairs, stores or anyplace they can to locate people that know you

I: Now, if you have lived in different towns, states, or countries other investigators will be requested to complete those areas for the primary investigator. Today this is very common and the network of investigators is large and usually adds a little time to the process, not bad though.

J: If during the process the investigator can not verify or needs further info from you they can call you or meet with you for clarification. Do not worry about that it is most likely due to not locating something or someone and will just request something.

K: The investigator has guidelines as to what he needs to have as follow-up if they find something of concern, this may or may not involve contacting you, at this point.

L: All of the investigator(s)'s will upload their respective reports and findings into their system with in the their required time frame

The field investigation is complete.

Your package will be reviewed by reviewers to see if the investigation has uncovered anything that gives a "red flag." If not, the completed package will be forwarded to the "adjudication panel" of security clearances for final determination.

If the investigation did uncover any "red flags" the package will be assigned to a "Spin" investigator for their follow-up look into the "flag" areas. The "Spin" investigator more than likely will be contacting you for some clarification.

After the "spin" is completed the package will be returned to the adjudication panel for their final approval or not.

Disclamer: I am now retired and the process has probably been modified in light of the recent public disclosures we have all seen in the news. I would suspect that nothing is any quicker or easier since.

This information is provided as a general guide and not to be used as fact.

This process is NOT to be feared, it is just the way it is in the times we live.

Good luck to all. PM me if you have any questions.

edspilot

Are you sure that's for Secret, and not Top Secret? Reason I ask is, the two WO aviators I know both said their employers were never contacted.

Are you sure that's for Secret, and not Top Secret? Reason I ask is, the two WO aviators I know both said their employers were never contacted.

This is the prescribed process for all Secret, Top Secret and Top Secret w/SCI. Now having said that, there is a waiver deep in the manual that allows for exception in the "needs of the service" realm that does allow for a "modified background investigation" with justification. However, the full will need to be completed within a number of months, usually 12-18.

I have seen this used when the service or agency wants to fill a course or meet a schedule and may need to rush a person(s) through.

Now, with the events of yesterday,,, (very sad & bless those involved),,, Like I mentioned earlier,, this whole process will be reviewed and over reviewed for a while.

So all bets are off as to what any new process might look like, but it will NOT be any quicker.

Good question, though,, as there are always "one-offs" from any government process.

Fly safe,

edspilot

My favorite question: Do you own any foreign assets?

My investments of foreign currency and gold got me an in depth interview. This was just after the stock market drop in '08. I had the interviewer damn near ready to switch her 401k after seeing how my investments had held up against the dollar/stock market. Ended up being two minutes of questions and about an hour of talking about retirement accounts.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A heads up for those going to WOCS. Make sure your clearance is in order, i.e. have a security manager verify it in JPAS. We had one candidate get pulled from our class because his clearance was never initiated. He set in hold status the entire time I was I was in WOCS. The last class to start apparently had several with the same issue. Unless you want to sit around for weeks on end waiting make sure you verify your clearance is tracking properly before you leave.

This seems to be a habitual problem that is easily fixed if people are aware.

A heads up for those going to WOCS. Make sure your clearance is in order, i.e. have a security manager verify it in JPAS. We had one candidate get pulled from our class because his clearance was never initiated. He set in hold status the entire time I was I was in WOCS. The last class to start apparently had several with the same issue. Unless you want to sit around for weeks on end waiting make sure you verify your clearance is tracking properly before you leave.

How do we do this as civilians going to BCT first? Or are you referring to in-service folk.

How do we do this as civilians going to BCT first? Or are you referring to in-service folk.

Do you have a CAC/ID yet? If so, you should be able to go to the closest military base and find the S2 office. I'd say your best bet would be to ask your recruiter because they can surely make contact with S2 and find out no problem. Hopefully I finally just said something helpful to you since I owe you x1000000000 for all the help you have provided me!

• Like 1

When you say make sure it is "in order," what do you mean exactly? That an investigation has been initiated, that it's complete, or what? Just want to make sure I know what I'm asking for when I ask.

When you say make sure it is "in order," what do you mean exactly? That an investigation has been initiated, that it's complete, or what? Just want to make sure I know what I'm asking for when I ask.

Just makung sure it is started will go a long way. Ask about the status.

The key: Ask if your clearance has been granted. Barring that, explain that you are reporting to BCT/WOCS in x days and if an interim clearance has been granted in JPAS. For those going throught boot camp, you should ask for a JPAS printout when you recieve your orders for WOCS. Your recruiter aint gonna know as they are not Security folks.