ANR or CEP system for Gallet LH250 flight helmet?

I have CEP. I liked the concept of it is why I went with it. The passive noise reduction from the combination of the ear cup, and then the CEP earplug is time tested to be extremely effective at saving your hearing. Many swear by the ANR, but the long term effects of it haven't been tested yet. I suspect when they are they will be proven to be less effective at reducing long term hearing loss. The downside to the CEP is that unless custom fit earplug discomfort complaints are common.

I have the CEP with the custom molded ear pieces from Westone Labs. I used to have ANR. The molded ears are the way to go. I think they are about $350 total.

Ive also used the generic foamy CEP plugs. Still better in my opinion than ANR.

#1 CEP with molds

#2 CEP with foam plugs

#3 ANR

Edited by Flying Pig

I agree with the CEP. I'm not a fan of the ear molds, though. IME, the molds don't cut the noise quite as much, but this is certainly subjective. What I use is triple-flange silicone eartips, which work well for me. They're easy in & out, and stay in the ear securely, I've never had one come loose or fall out. They're available for a reasonable price at several online places that cater to the audiophile crowd. If you do buy them, get the long ones. The short ones are too short for me, and it's easy enough to cut the stem off if it's too long.

I have the "hush kit" on my LH 250. That's how I do most of my flying; however, when I fly doors off and have my head out the window I use the CEP's along with it. The guy I bought my helmet from strongly discouraged me from getting ANR. I took his word for it. I figured he does this for a living and if he is trying to save me from spending another $300 bucks then that's fine with me.

I get terrible pain with my custom molds. I have shaved and trimmed them away with no relief found. They are quieter than foam though, IME. You have to "screw" them in until they suck like a vacuum.

CEP's and Comply tips are by far my favorite combination for long-term comfort and NR.

I have owned ANR headsets before, and although the science is valid, I seemed to suffer from fatigue using them. I sold my ANR headset and use CEPs exclusively with my helmet and headset.

We used to wear foam under our helmets before CEPs were invented. I dont like doing it because it alters the frequency response and makes it harder to understand communications.

CEPs are so affordable they are really a no-brainer. Communication clarity with them is a revelation the first time you use them.

There is no difference in noise reduction between plain earplugs and CEPs. The difference is in the clarity of the communications. People who use regular earplugs keep the volume turned almost all the way up. I keep it almost all the way down, and I curse the pilot who flies with me on schedule every day I forget to turn the volume down before cranking. He keeps the volume at near max, and that's far too loud for me. I turn it up about an eighth of a turn from full down, and that's good. I also use military 8-ohm earphones in my helmet, because using the civilian 300-ohm earphones that should be there makes the volume unbearably loud, even full down.

Good earplugs and a good ear muffs (passive headset) are the best hearing protection, no question. Plugs damp one part of the spectrum and the muffs do the other (high and then low?).

I've never used CEP, but I don't want another step in the pre-start process. And, I like the fact that disposable ear plugs are new and clean out of the container each and every time.

ANR is frequency specific.

My experience is that a well fit Gallet is equal to the best passive headset I've ever worn. The only issue I've ever had with a Gallet is that some aircraft avionics can't be set at an acceptable low volume, I would have to wear plugs or coms would be painful.

Do you both share the same volumn control? I would say if its all one volumn.... then yeah, you would either be blowing out your ears so your student could hear or it would be so quiet to accomodate you that your student wouldnt hear.

I've had that problem, but it was with me with a passive DC and plugs and the CFI with a Bose in a 22. The only way we could make it work was for me to take out my foam plugs, which sucked, for me!

I have ANR added to a stock Gentex helmet and I like it 99% of the time. I also added helmet volume control which I consider essential. With the ANR I am able to keep my helmet volume on low with crystal clear comms. I turn the px intercom up to almost max, and the pilot down to low. This helps with px who shout into their headsets and make deafening noise. I also turn the volume on the headsets to max for the same reason. Because the ANR doesn't actually get rid of the decibels, using foam plugs in addition is a good idea for long term hearing health.

The only downside with ANR is it uses a 9V battery which lasts about 25 hours. Occasionally the ANR makes a horrible squeal and I have to turn it off, about once or twice every battery change.

Overall find the comfort of ANR comms worth the hassles.

Yup, a separate ICS panel for pilot and co-pilot solves the volume differential problem. I also have a volume control on my helmet and headset.

Also, I want to edit my original comment about my custom molds being painful. I flew 4 hours yesterday with them and they were completely pain-free. Apparently, it wasn't the molds themselves that were causing the pain, but the wires. The trick (for me) was to rotate the earphone housing around 180 degrees so the wire was pointing towards the back of my head. Thus positioned, I was able to loop the wire up, over, and around the top of my ear (resting between my head and ear).

It's a big deal for me because lately, the Comply's haven't been giving me a good seal and I've been getting low frequency "thrumming" penetrating through. I think it may be the heat and sweat of summer causing this. My custom molds have completely solved this issue for me, and now that they aren't torturing me anymore, I am very happy with them.

Rule #1 with CEP/ear molds.....

Add "Check radio volumn prior to turning on avionics master" to your checklist!

If you dont I suggest you have an emergency procedure ruptured ear drums.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a similar experience if I don't have CEPs in. I can turn the volume all the way up with my CEPs and be fine, but if I have it half way up with just ear cups it scares the sh*t out of me.

Anyways, I like CEPs. I've flown with no CEPs, foam earplugs, and CEPs with foam tips. I have a hush kit on my ear cups. The only problem I have right now is that my glasses don't allow my ear cups to seal perfectly since they are not wire frame but that's a whole different issue...

To all the CEP lovers out there, you can stick the foam tips in your flight suite pocket and zip it up and wash your flight suite, they come out nice and clean (obviously do not dry them for those that dry there nomex flight suites even though you shouldn't). Personally I like the custom molded. If you have the wrong size ear canal CEP tips you will surely suffer shortly after takeoff as the pain sets in (make sure you buy the right size tips:)

Having the right size eartips is certainly critical. Too small and they won't provide the best noise suppression, too large and they will be uncomfortable.

I have a good supply of the Comply eartips sitting in the package in my bag, because I've pretty much quit using them. Even with the right size, they can come loose in summer heat. I find the triple-flange silicone eartips stay in securely. I don't see that using CEPs takes more time or steps than regular earplugs, and the quality of the communications more than makes up for any trouble. But everyone will have to make his own decision about what to use, or not.

This topic of CEP vs. ANR comes up fairly often. Do a 'search' on this subject and you'll see.

Back in 2006, I took Gomer Pylot's advice and went with CEP's using triple-flange earplugs (be sure to carry extra plugs) and have been happy ever since. I've installed a CEP kit on my David Clark headsets that I use with doors OFF flying to protect from wind buffeting. And I've used Quiet Technologies CEP HALO headset when flying with doors ON for maximum comfort. (QT's customer support is top notch too) Neither require batteries and comms are SUPER clear. It just makes good sense.

Thanks Gomer Pylot for all your gems of wisdom here over the years. Happy Landings y'all!

I don't see that using CEPs takes more time or steps than regular earplugs, and the quality of the communications more than makes up for any trouble. But everyone will have to make his own decision about what to use, or not.

I agree 100%. I regularly fly where I am literally grabbing my helmet and speed walking out to the helicopter and launching out immediately. To me it's a piece of safety equipment. No different than putting on the actual helmet itself.