My quest into WOCS

Well my process of building my packet is finally over. I get the feeling that I am over posting lately but hopefully my thread may help a future hopeful that runs into the same problems I did. Assuming all goes well behind the scenes I will be boarded in September. Its actually been funny for me personally looking back at what started a year ago, to having everything ready to go now. So here is what I learned in the last year:

ASVAB: Dont take this lightly. Really brush up on math and reading. When taking the test, time seems to fly by. You may or may not do this the same day as the MEPS medical. I did not do medical the same day and took my ASVAB in the afternoon. A recruiter I spoke with says they see about a 5-10 point drop on average for those who take the test in the morning. Just something to keep in mind.

MEPS: Expect to wait, a lot. Everything you could expect here. Quick eyesight check, colorblind test, hearing, drug test, blood draw, and movements to check for problems. I had to track down records for my surgery from 2005. Quick tip, first call to make for me shouldve been the hospital that my procedure was done at. The doctor had all his records retained by the actual hospital. Knowing this could have saved me a month or two waiting for callbacks from my doctors office. Bring everything you can get your hands on so you do not get delayed with what "might" be sufficient. I also had to take another day to do a consult. No getting around this. Odds are you will prepare just like you are going to MEPS again but they will shuttle you to a doctors office once you arrive at MEPS. Took me 30 mins for an x-ray and meeting with the doctor. I had to stay the night before the consult at the hotel with everyone going to MEPS. Try to knock out your secret clearance interview the same day you are at MEPS (Have an SF-86 completed prior).

SIFT: Read the SIFT Information thread. I used the SIFT study guide on amazon and the FAA handbook. My MEPS had only administered this test twice before me. They had to use the manual just to remember how to load it onto the computer. Typically they only offer it once a week at MEPS, for me it was a Monday. I was thinking that the computer cost me time at first while loading between questions. The timer will freeze once you click and answer so no worries there if you also run into a slow computer like I did. Be efficient yet fast when you have to.

APFT: As per Stearmann4, no reason you should not do well on this if you put in the time and effort. This is something directly in your control. One year ago my one mile pace ranged from 8:45 to 9:10. Over the winter I spent a lot of time on a treadmill at a faster pace than I was comfortable with. Mostly to speed up my feet. Since then my two APFT runs were 13:16 and 13:02. If you are like me, once the weather was warm enough, get outside and run run run. What I thought was my strongest point ended up being my weakest on my first APFT, pushups. I only got 57. What I did to up this was mix in pushups at work. Sounds silly but every time I went to the bathroom at work I made myself do pushups when I got back. Started with sets of 20 and each week I upped it by 5-10 based on how I was feeling. Eventually I was up to sets of 40-45 each time. Second APFT I got 74.

Education: Nothing for me to add. Everyone knows as a civilian the board favors college degrees heavily.

Flight physical: This will vary based on where you have it done. Some places will do everything in one shot, or over a period of two days. Mine was a little different. I had to have my eyes done independently at a civilian doctor. Money out of my own pocket but I was not going to let that hold me up. I was given what was called the 2808 supplement. Eye refraction is not fun. You will be pretty much be the most unproductive person around since you will not be able to see for a few hours once its done. Once I had this done I faxed it to the facility doing my flight physical and then they scheduled me. My flight physical was very similar to MEPS with the addition of measurements and an EKG. Of course more bloodwork as well. I was in at 8:30 and done by 10:30 because the facility was very efficient (EAATS). Exactly one month from taking the physical to having my stamp from Rucker.

Letters of recommendation: The army aviators that I spoke with were absolutely amazing. Don't be afraid to reach out to them and tell them what you are currently in the process of trying to accomplish. However, have your packet damn near complete before even venturing into the territory of requesting an interview for a letter of recommendation. You will be amazed at the information you can obtain if you approach them with sincerity and respect. As Lindsey said, it has to be true sincerity and respect. Do not expect them to write a letter for you. I learned a lot about the lifestyle, challenges, and even got a few very cool stories from those I spoke with. Keep in mind as a civilian, you do not need a letter from an aviator, but it will help exponentially if you do.

Why I want to be an Army Aviator essay: Write it early and edit as you go. Things may come to mind as you go through the process that cement why you are doing what you are. Write more than you need to and cut it down to the one page limit as time goes on. You will definitely see whats more important once it is on paper. Big thanks to the forum members who proofread mine as they picked up things that I thought looked ok. I will certainly pass the same courtesy down to anyone who needs it.

Battalion board: Dress professional, be confident but not cocky. No surprises here. Know yourself and your motivation for this well before you go in. The dates may be changed on you a few times at the last minute like mine were. Try to be as flexible as you can.

Thats all I can think of for now. Thank you to everyone who has helped me over the past year. It is extremely appreciated. Now the wait for September begins.

• Like 4

Jeff,

Awesome post and extremely helpful. One thing I like to add about the LORs. A couple of months ago in Army Aviator magazine there was a article from who I believe was the Chief Warrant Officer of Aviation. He spoke about the selection process amoung other things and stated how heavily the LORs are for selection. He said they favor the LORs that give specifics to your accomplishments and the type of leader you are. Whether your LORs are from people you know personally or people you've only met because of this process let your accomplisents be known and try to paint the best picture of your true potential.

• Like 1