All you Army Aviators.......

Has anyone heard of anyone regretting going one airframe, wished they chosen differently?

Plenty of people forced into an airframe that they didn't want but most aren't going to admit it. Had people in my class who wanted 60s or 47s but were low on the OML. Next thing you know they're bragging about how the 64 is the best helicopter in the world. :)

Is the AH-6 included in advanced airframe selections, is it a similar process to Army fixed-wing, or is the process for becoming an AH-6 pilot something entirely different?

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I couldn't find any mention of it.

As far as I know you only transition into the MH-6 when you go to a SO unit

• Like 1

Has anyone heard of anyone regretting going one airframe, wished they chosen differently?

People tend to get to like aircraft they are assigned even if it wasn't the one they chose.

I will say that based upon my experience (others may vary), the one that people tend to at least have second thoughts about is the Apache. There's many reasons. First, few students making a selection are thinking long term - they want to blow things up but don't take into account the fact that they tend to fly the least, making hours hard to come by other than in combat, and that the airframe probably has the least civilian equivalency. While it can be cool to fly, coolness of any airframe tends to wear off a bit and the practical side eventually takes over.

That is not to say that many people don't love to fly the Apache or that nobody has a positive transition to civilian flying after the Army, but simply to say that it seems to be the airframe with the most regrets when I have spoken to other pilots about it honestly (including retirees).

Hey everyone, just met up with the 5 WOFT applicants here at Fort Sill. One of them through out this idea, didn't seem right but figured if ask.

Our original contract is 3yrs 20weeks. I was told that upon get in "winged" you sign a new contract for 6year. One of the candidates said, upon winging if they have an opening they can sign your new commitment in a reserve unit. Is that true?

Hey everyone, just met up with the 5 WOFT applicants here at Fort Sill. One of them through out this idea, didn't seem right but figured if ask.

Our original contract is 3yrs 20weeks. I was told that upon get in "winged" you sign a new contract for 6year. One of the candidates said, upon winging if they have an opening they can sign your new commitment in a reserve unit. Is that true?

I'm about to graduate next week and I have never heard anything about that. Maybe find out where he or she heard about it because from my understanding, if you sign up for active duty, you serve active duty.

Sounds like they might be getting confused about the WO1 promotion system. It used to be an appointment in the Reserves for everyone. Didn't really matter since we were never in the Reserves. Since 2005 though, they changed the promotion to an AD promotion.

Last selection board for LUH was over 70% selection rate. They're holding another selection board this December and are beginning to accept 4187s -- get your packet in!

I'm only in BOLC but I heard that you should go LUH at the end of your career as it is difficult to stand out and the ranks are very top heavy. Is there any substance to that or is it just BS?

Call up HRC and ask about it if you are interested. They will have the best scoop on whether or not it's a good idea. Things I've been hearing from the rumor mill are not great. If you're not staying past your commitment then I wouldn't worry about it and just go for what you want.

Edited by SBuzzkill